Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 09-01-07, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

<sup>100 Movies. 31 Days.</sup> October 1st - 31st, 2007

The Poll

Challenge #1 ~ 2005 Results

Challenge #2 ~ The Lists ~ 2006 Results

THIS THREAD IS FOR DISCUSSION ONLY!

---> ACTUAL LISTS WILL GO HERE! <---

This link is now active!

THE RULES
Same as always - While the goal set in place is to reach 100 horror/horror-related films, obviously the main objective is to watch the most of anyone during the month. But, the ultimate goal is to have one hell of a good time with this and enjoy yourself while conversing with fellow horror fans! Whether you plan on sticking with the set goal, exceeding said goal, setting your own personal goal, watching only a handful, etc...you're more than welcome to participate.
As indicated above, there will be a separate thread to include your lists. How you go about posting them is completely your call - either keep 'em within one post or divide 'em up into new separate posts on a weekly basis. If you do go that route, it's advisable for your own sake to keep track of your previous posts through post numbers and/or providing a link in the new post. Just remember to keep your list(s) contained within the designated "lists thread" and by all means please NUMBER THOSE LISTS! The latter cannot be emphasized enough!
What qualifies? Use your own personal judgment about what you consider to be part of the horror genre. If you think "Jaws", "Se7en" "Godzilla", "The Nightmare Before Christmas", etc. qualifies as horror then count them. If you feel otherwise, don't. If you're unsure, ask...that's what this thread is here for! Horror documentaries, horror/comedies, sci-fi horror, creature features, Masters of Horror (yeah, they're considered movies) silents, made-for-TV movies, etc. count. TV shows DON'T count! See post #2 of this thread for more info.
As established in previous years and as voted on by the people, The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, The American Film Institute, and The British Film Institute all define a feature as a film with a running time of forty minutes or longer. Please don't try and purposely abuse this by watching numerous movies with extraordinarily short running times!
Unless it's a remake the same film can't be viewed more than once. In other words, don't go back and watch the theatrical version of "The Exorcist" after already having viewed "The Exorcist: The Version You've Never Seen". The same holds true for all versions: director's cuts, unrated editions, fan edits, extended editions, "the version you couldn't see in a theater", etc. Besides, who wants to watch the same movie again within such a short timespan when you have so many abundant choices? Pick your favorite cut and be happy with your decision!
Commentaries are allowed, but it's a with or without scenario unlike last year's in addition to option. You've got a choice to make: either watch the movie with the original audio or with a commentary track running. Personally I don't see the need for them, but if you do listen to a commentary please make a conscientious effort to actually watch the film along with it throughout the entire duration as you normally would. Again, this was decided by your votes.
What formats and where/how you watch them is strictly up to you -- DVDs, HD-DVD, Blu Ray, at the theater, on television, VHS, Laserdisc, Video On Demand, Netflix, UMD, MiniDV, CED, Unbox, Apple TV, Watch Now, Payperview, Betamax, via laptop, VCD, Video iPod...you name it. Just make sure they're viewed in their entirety!
The votes have been tallied and caligulathegod's 3 Wild Cards option is now part of the challenge. Complete details can be found by scrolling down to post #2 of this thread...or the extremely lazy can click HERE. Although completely optional, it's a great way to add a "twist" to your list. Of course, the challenge wouldn't be complete without wholeheartedly recommending "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" as essential viewing and a wild card option.
If you do watch films from other genres during the month and wish to include them as well that's perfectly fine, but please keep them separate from your qualifying titles and don't number them. It would be greatly appreciated if you boldface and/or color code your qualifying horror titles to distinguish them from the non-qualifying ones. The "What Are You Watching This Week" thread will also be around if you wish to include them there.

<sup>Random DVD drawings will be held for those reaching or surpassing 100 (and possibly one or two for anyone who participates) </sup> A $25 Amazon.com gift certificate will be awarded to the participant who watches the most during the month.

TCM UNDERGROUND

Netflix Watch Now - Horror

Monsters HD

Scream Television Schedule

FANGORIA TV

AMC October Schedule

DVD Stalk

IMDB - Horror

Tips:

Increase your coffee consumption.
Insomniac? Use it to your advantage!
Work from home? Ditto.
Cut down on your Internet time. Instead of discussing movies...watch them!
Multitask. Watch a movie while running on the treadmill!
Skip the supplemental material...there's always November for that!
Bored? Watch a movie!
ENJOY YOURSELF!

Free month of Netflix:

http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=80009911

Free month of Blockbuster:

http://www.blockbuster.com/acctmgmt/...ion?pc=friend1

<sup>The challenge officially begins</sup> October 1, 2007 (Monday) @ Midnight Eastern time.

Last edited by Chad; 09-28-07 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-01-07, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

caligulathegod's 3 WILD CARDS

RULES
  • There are 3 wild card options. This would include any choice of film or short that does not fit into the feature rule (the other rules cannot be superceded). The wild card can be used for any horror related item, including It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, various halloween Bugs Bunny cartoons, Roseanne or Simpsons Halloween episodes, X-Files or Angel the Series episodes, etc. The only caveat is that only one of each type can be counted. For example, you can't count three Bugs Bunny cartoons as your wild cards.

More info regarding rule #3

It must be a feature: Defined as 40+ minutes. It can be a film that has played theatrically, or was made for TV or direct-to-video. TV shows (defined as those with recurring characters such as X-Files or Buffy the Vampire Slayer) are not allowed. The general consensus has been to allow Anthology format television shows (such as Masters of Horror) as long as they meet the 40+ minute rule. Also allowed are television miniseries. This would include films like Frankenstein the True Story, the Stephen King TV adaptations, etc. Also allowed are feature documentaries provided they are at least 40 minutes. This would include tribute documentaries on specific films or filmmakers, such as Document of the Dead, The American Nightmare, Boogeymen, Fear in the Dark, etc. We are also including documentaries on "true" Horror subjects, such as those 70s exploitation documentaries on Bigfoot, aliens, psychic phenomena, serial killers, or the Mondo films (such as Mondo Cane, Africa Addio, and Shocking Asia). Strongly encouraged are those that played theatrically at some point.

-Courtesy of caligulathegod

2007 Additions & Revisions

As you've probably noticed, there's been a couple of changes made to last year's rules. They are due to YOUR votes taken from this thread and are the following:

Yes, I realize everyone doesn't always agree on allowing commentaries, the 40-minute rule, the exclusion of tv shows, etc. But the fact of the matter is it's virtually impossible to satisfy everyone, and that's the sole reason the poll was created to get your input. So, if you didn't vote you only have yourself to blame.

Suggestions

Watch films in at least two languages other than English.

Watch a film and its remake.

watch a film which won an Academy Award -- any category.

Watch a film and at least two sequels.

Watch a film in each of the following horror subgenres:
      --- Vampire
      --- Werewolf
      --- Ghost/haunting
      --- Witchcraft/satanic/religious
      --- Zombie
      --- Slasher/psycho/homicidal maniac
      --- Monster/creature feature

Watch a film starring:
      --- Bela Lugosi
      --- Lon Chaney (Sr. or Jr.)
      --- Boris Karloff
      --- Vincent Price
      --- Christopher Lee
      --- Jamie Lee Curtis

Watch a film you've heard about but haven't seen (and report back in the discussion thread).

-Courtesy of Shack

<iframe src="http://www.7is7.com/otto/countdown.html?year=2007&month=9&date=30&hrs=24&min=0&sec=0&tz=local&title=The%20October%20Horror%20 Movie%20Challenge&lang=en&show=dhms&mode=r&cdir=down&bgcolor=%23000000&fgcolor=%23FF0000%20" width="250" height="365" scrolling="no" frameborder="1" style="width:15.6em;height:22.8em;overflow:hidden;">The October Horror Movie Challenge</iframe>

Last edited by Chad; 09-23-07 at 12:49 PM.
      Old 09-01-07, 08:12 PM
      DVD Talk Legend

Reserved.
      Old 09-01-07, 09:12 PM
      DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
      My goal is 31

Last edited by Mountain Biker; 09-01-07 at 09:14 PM.
      Old 09-01-07, 09:22 PM
      DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
      Awesome...been looking forward to this.
      Old 09-01-07, 09:36 PM
      DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 291 Posts
      Awesome I didn't do it last year, but I had fun with the Christmas challenge, count me in. I think I could easily reach 50-75.
      Old 09-01-07, 09:57 PM
      DVD Talk Special Edition

Question, when is the sign up list going to be posted?

Nevermind... just read it

Last edited by Abe.; 09-01-07 at 09:59 PM.
      Old 09-01-07, 10:04 PM
      DVD Talk Legend

I know it might not be the most popular decision, but I'm glad that Masters of Horror is being allowed again this year. I pretty much used them as filler last year in spots where I didn't have enough time to watch anything else. I've been saving the episodes from the second run specifically for this same purpose.
      Old 09-01-07, 11:16 PM
      Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts
      Old 09-02-07, 02:27 AM
      DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
      eh i'll join. i tried it last year. My goal is 18.

Got a question regarding qualifying titles. Would something like the Park Chan Wook Vengeance trillogy (oldboy, sympathy for mr vengeance, Lady vengeance) count. What about some of the Takashi Miike gorefests like Ichi the Killer or Audition, which are more action movies with horror elements?

Last edited by Rypro 525; 09-02-07 at 02:32 AM.
      Old 09-02-07, 03:33 AM
      DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
      oh hell yeah! count me in - i did 10 during the 1st challenge, 18 for the 2nd one and for this one i am just aiming to do better still.

i am taking this opportunity to watch the 2nd season of Masters of Horror together with stuff that's been sitting on my shelves for years, unwatched.

Last edited by InnocentBlood; 09-02-07 at 05:31 AM.
      Old 09-02-07, 04:48 AM
      Suspended

My goal is 31.
      Old 09-02-07, 05:16 AM
      DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
      eh i'll join. i tried it last year. My goal is 18.

Got a question regarding qualifying titles. Would something like the Park Chan Wook Vengeance trillogy (oldboy, sympathy for mr vengeance, Lady vengeance) count. What about some of the Takashi Miike gorefests like Ichi the Killer or Audition, which are more action movies with horror elements?
      I would say Audition counts as a horror flick.
      Ichi really falls into a grey area. It has a lot of horrific elements but yet it's not a horror movie in the truest form of the word.

As for the others, the only one I've seen is Oldboy and I wouldn't consider that a horror movie.
      Old 09-02-07, 07:25 AM

You can count me in again this year. Last year I finished 3rd with 152 watched. I plan on only watching 100 this time. It felt more like a job last year trying to watch so many. I will do my top 100 favorite horror movie countdown this year. Stay tuned to see what is my #1!
      Old 09-02-07, 10:24 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
      To add a little spin to the challenge, and borrowing a bit from last year's checklist, here's one for this year:

Watch one film from every decade, starting with the 1920's (or the 1910's if you can find them).

Watch films in at least two languages other than English.

Watch a film and its remake.

watch a film which won an Academy Award -- any category.

Watch a film and at least two sequels.

Watch a film in each of the following horror subgenres:
      --- Vampire
      --- Werewolf
      --- Ghost/haunting
      --- Witchcraft/satanic/religious
      --- Zombie
      --- Slasher/psycho/homicidal maniac
      --- Monster/creature feature

Watch a film starring:
      --- Bela Lugosi
      --- Lon Chaney (Sr. or Jr.)
      --- Boris Karloff
      --- Vincent Price
      --- Christopher Lee
      --- Jamie Lee Curtis

Watch a film you've heard about but haven't seen (and report back in the discussion thread).

Needless to say, I'm in!

Last edited by Shack; 09-02-07 at 11:33 AM.
      Old 09-02-07, 10:47 AM
      DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts
      I'll probably hit around 30 this time around.
      Old 09-02-07, 11:34 AM
      DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
      I'm going for at least 31, one per day.
      Old 09-02-07, 11:38 AM
      DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If documentaries are included shouldn't the name be changed from "October Horror Movie Challenge" to "October Horror Movie/Documentary Challenge"?
      Old 09-02-07, 12:32 PM
      DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
      If documentaries are included shouldn't the name be changed from "October Horror Movie Challenge" to "October Horror Movie/Documentary Challenge"?
      I realize the name doesn't technically represent every aspect of what's being allowed. It was also brought up last year that it should be re-named The October Horror Film Challenge. But, horror docs have been allowed since the beginning and it's already ...dammit, the current name just sounds cooler!
      Old 09-02-07, 01:40 PM
      DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
      I hit 78 last year, I really hope to at least reach that goal and go over it! I hope to hit 100 this time around.
      Old 09-02-07, 02:40 PM
      DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I am in. Probably won't do more than say 45 but I will give it my best shot. I loved doing this last year.
      Old 09-02-07, 03:34 PM
      DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
      I'm ready. Had 25 last year I believe. Maybe I'll surpass it.
      Old 09-02-07, 05:41 PM

I'm all pumped, though my time will be limited. I work full time and go to school full time so I still can't fully go nuts with this like I want. I mean, I have like 300 horror movies I haven't even seen yet! Someday...
      Old 09-02-07, 06:30 PM
      Cool New Member

my first attempt at a challenge so I will try for 31.
      Old 09-02-07, 06:33 PM
      DVD Talk Gold Edition

One year before I knew of this I wacthed damn near 45+ horror movies in October.

I'm now game!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.