Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Can you play all Wii games with regular controller?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-07, 11:05 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

With Metroid Prime: Corruption out i am really itching for a Wii, but just don't think i will ever get into or have the room right now to stand and use the nunchuck/wand controller. i know you say it is the best thing since slice bread, but it isn't everyones' slice.

so can you play all the Wii games with the regular controller and still get almost as much or at least regular enjoyment out of them or is it just not physically possible to do this?
Old 08-30-07, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Wii Remote is the regular controller. You don't have to stand at all though (but it is fun to do so).
Old 08-31-07, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
With Metroid Prime: Corruption out i am really itching for a Wii, but just don't think i will ever get into or have the room right now to stand and use the nunchuck/wand controller. i know you say it is the best thing since slice bread, but it isn't everyones' slice.

so can you play all the Wii games with the regular controller and still get almost as much or at least regular enjoyment out of them or is it just not physically possible to do this?
You overestimate how much you have to move.
Old 08-31-07, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
scott, I have a small apartment and the space between my couch and tv is a bit small. I also have a Wii and everything works out fine. I've noticed you can still stand in one spot for most games and move your arms and upper body if space in limited. I often play standing up but I can also play sitting down. Anyway, I've yet to come across any games where you need to be jumping all over the room.

For Metroid, you don't have to do that much movement. Even actions like using the grapple, where you're using fishing style movements like forward throw motions and pulling back motions with the nunchuck, still works great with smaller arm motions.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-31-07 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-31-07, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
You overestimate how much you have to move.
Yeah dude seriously all you have to do is flick your wrist
Old 08-31-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scott1598

Old 08-31-07, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I play Madden sitting down. Sometimes my controller gets a workout, like when I throw it, but other than that I can be pretty damn lazy with it.
Old 08-31-07, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some games ARE more fun with exaggerated motions though. I remember fighting the boss in Zelda where you grapple onto its head and stab down into its eye, I was standing up and jabbing the remote downwards like I was really stabbing the bastard. Good shit, good stress relief! Even then, you don't need ten feet of empty space surrounding you. I'm like Giantrobo, my living room is pretty compressed and there's not a lot of room between me and the TV. We have moved the couch to free up room for four player Wii Sports and Wario Ware sessions, but again, that was still optional.
Old 08-31-07, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
I think Wii Sports and, like Pixy said, a few boss battles in Zelda were the only times I've played standing. It's not really necessary at all, but I think it makes Sports more fun and in Zelda is was practically an involuntary reaction.