DVD Journal shuts down - 10 years of dvds perfectly encapsulated

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 08-29-07, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

http://www.dvdjournal.com/

I felt that they had some of the best-written dvd reviews on the net - they may have leaned more towards classics and underground fare, but they always put a lot of thought into their reviews, though maybe at the cost of thorough technical analysis.

Anyways, if you go to their front page, they have a long essay that sums up this dvd thing that's been going on for the last 10 years, and where it looks like it's heading, which is one of the best pieces I've ever read on the medium.

Last edited by slop101; 08-29-07 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-29-07, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Wow, it's one of the sites I would visit on a daily basis. Very sad news indeed.

Thanks for the good times, DVD Journal.
Old 08-29-07, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard on the news today that on-line places will start shutting down due to a down turn with internet advertising caused by the economy/housing prices. Not sure if this has anything to do with Dvd Journal but maybe we should click on a Dvdtalk ad now and then so they dont go away to?

Old 08-29-07, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
What a real shame! DVDJournal.com is one of my favorite review sites. Alexandra DuPont 's reviews there of the Star Wars DVDs (OT, Ep I, Ep II, Ep III) are, IMO, the best I've seen anywhere.

I will miss that site (hopefully, the past reviews don't disappear too soon.)
Old 08-29-07, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sad day, indeed. this was the first site i would pull up on monday mornings to see what they chose as their "disc of the week". many of their reviews were spot on - i hope they will be able to archive them.
Old 08-29-07, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,008 Likes on 614 Posts
Hey Geoff, instead of letting their reviews rot in cyber-space, pick them up and add them to your own huge library of reviews. I am sure that would be welcomed.
Old 08-29-07, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a sad day for all DvD review fans. I will miss them alot I goto that site everyday myself.
Old 08-30-07, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Hey Geoff, instead of letting their reviews rot in cyber-space, pick them up and add them to your own huge library of reviews. I am sure that would be welcomed.

Everyday, I always check with two DVD websites. The first is DVD Talk. The second is DVD Journal. DVD Journal will very much be missed.

Yes please pick them up.
Old 08-30-07, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i almost always exclusively visit DVD Talk and never really knew much about DVD Journal. seeing posts about their demise here, i do wish i had discovered them much sooner.
Old 08-30-07, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
DVD Journal used to be a semi-daily stop for me, but that stopped for me a few years ago. DVD's became less special for some reason, maybe it was all the double dipping and EPK's, but someting happened after the first few years. I remember buying some of the old Universal titles that listed little or no special features only to discover 2 hour making of's and deleted scenes (I think the original release of Field of Dreams was one of these along with The Flintstones). I'll miss DVD Journal, for some reason it reminds me of being 16 and discovering that my geek-dom for movies could go a lot deeper.
Old 08-30-07, 05:43 AM
Banned

I heard on the news today that on-line places will start shutting down due to a down turn with internet advertising caused by the economy/housing prices. Not sure if this has anything to do with Dvd Journal but maybe we should click on a Dvdtalk ad now and then so they dont go away to?
Old 08-30-07, 05:45 AM
Banned

DVD Journal used to be a semi-daily stop for me, but that stopped for me a few years ago. DVD's became less special for some reason, maybe it was all the double dipping and EPK's, but someting happened after the first few years. I remember buying some of the old Universal titles that listed little or no special features only to discover 2 hour making of's and deleted scenes (I think the original release of Field of Dreams was one of these along with The Flintstones). I'll miss DVD Journal, for some reason it reminds me of being 16 and discovering that my geek-dom for movies could go a lot deeper.
Old 08-30-07, 06:27 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by kesin88ui
I'm feeling dejavu.
Old 08-30-07, 06:28 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
That would be awesome if it was that easy. But I don't think it is.
Old 08-30-07, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, i'm shocked to read this. I too ejoy reading the reviews. Yes, maybe Geoff can do something to help.
Old 08-30-07, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by InnocentBlood
i almost always exclusively visit DVD Talk and never really knew much about DVD Journal. seeing posts about their demise here, i do wish i had discovered them much sooner.
I’m in the same camp you are. I’ve heard of DVD Journal but never really knew much about it. Seeing all the praise about it, I’ll have too spend some time & read some of their reviews. I’m pretty new into the DVD Collecting; I only really started seriously collecting DVDs in late 2004.

That would be cool if Geoff added the reviews too DVDTalk or something.
Old 08-30-07, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's ironic that the last post cites things like growing families and new jobs as being an issue for the reviewers because over the last 10 years these things have made the amount of time I spend online almost nonexsistent. This is one of the few DVD sites I visit anymore. This is not because I don't want to, but because I just don't have the time.

I remember being a frequent visitor of DVD Journal over the years, but I can't remember the last time I visited the website. It's too bad I won't get the chance to read any new reviews from them.
Old 08-30-07, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Haven't visited DVD Journal in awhile, but there were some seriously good reviews tucked away on that site. It's a shame to see it go.
Old 08-30-07, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I'm sad to see it go but for the past few years that site had only been updating on Monday and Tuesday of each week.

I'll miss the reviews.
Old 08-30-07, 08:51 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Sad to see it go.
Old 08-30-07, 09:42 AM

Damn, that sucks. I remember their reviews were always stellar, regardless of who was writing them. I hope the site stays up for a while, even if it isn't updated.
Old 08-30-07, 09:51 AM

Add me to the list of people that loved DVD Journal.

Every Monday I looked at the new reviews and every Tuesday the news.
Old 08-30-07, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts
Honestly, I had never discovered DVD Journal until reading through this post. It's too bad they're ceasing publication. I'm looking forward to digging into some of their reviews, etc based on the other comments made here.
Old 08-30-07, 11:06 AM
Suspended

One of my favorites as well. Having had to shut down a review site myself, I know what it's like. It's a tough decision to make.
Old 08-30-07, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Actually, it seems as if they are shutting down because their core group of reviewers moved on with their lives. Makes sense, but it's too bad. Hope they keep their reviews online.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.