Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need DVD Recorder advice

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need DVD Recorder advice

Old 08-12-07, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need DVD Recorder advice

I need a DVD recorder with the following. I'd like to spend no more than $250 on one DVD recorder. Here's what I'm looking for:

1. Ability to transfer VHS to DVD. (Do I need a dual VHS/DVD Recorder for this? Or can I wire a VCR to a standalone DVD recorder?)
2. Record one program and watch another one live.
3. Mostly what I tape is sports so I need whatever to record for 4-5 hours.
4. Be able to program recordings.
5. Can I get two DVD Recorders and hook them up to one tv so I can start watching one DVD and finish recording in the other? (When I get a house I'll have two tv setups so I'd move the other dvd player to the bedroom. But for now all I got is one tv).*
6. Upscales to near HD.

I would prefer either a Sony or Panasonic. Any good ones on the market that will do what I'm looking for?

*Or should I just go for Tivo? I'd rather not since I don't want to pay for the monthly service.
Old 08-13-07, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Or should I just go for Tivo? I'd rather not since I don't want to pay for the monthly service
IMHO just go for the TIVO
Old 08-13-07, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Lee Harvey Oswald
I need a DVD recorder with the following. I'd like to spend no more than $250 on one DVD recorder. Here's what I'm looking for:

1. Ability to transfer VHS to DVD. (Do I need a dual VHS/DVD Recorder for this? Or can I wire a VCR to a standalone DVD recorder?)
2. Record one program and watch another one live.
3. Mostly what I tape is sports so I need whatever to record for 4-5 hours.
4. Be able to program recordings.
5. Can I get two DVD Recorders and hook them up to one tv so I can start watching one DVD and finish recording in the other? (When I get a house I'll have two tv setups so I'd move the other dvd player to the bedroom. But for now all I got is one tv).*
6. Upscales to near HD.

I would prefer either a Sony or Panasonic. Any good ones on the market that will do what I'm looking for?

*Or should I just go for Tivo? I'd rather not since I don't want to pay for the monthly service.
1. You Can plug an external vcr into a dvd recorder.
2. Not if using a cable box or sat receiver, otherwise yes.
3.You can fit 4-5 hours on a blank DVDR. The high compression may cause artifacting.
4. Yes you can program recordings.
5. Instead of buying two spend money and get one with a built in hard drive. Can record up to 28 hours in sp mode and 118 in xp mode. can edit and then dub/burn directly to dvdr disc. can watch program from beginning even while still recording the program.
6. My panasonic has HDMI connection. Don't know if it upconverts.

In my opinion Pioneer and Panasonic are the brands to stick with. I've had three Panasonics and they are great. The one I have now is the one with built in VCR and 80gb hard drive.Has HDMI. You will be able to do everything you are asking about except maybe watch one channel while recording another because if you are using a box/receiver how can you watch a channel other than the one the box/receiver is set to? If not using a box than set tv to channel you want to watch and recorder to channel you want to record.
Old 08-13-07, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
get one with a time slip feature...the panny i use has this and it lets you watch whatever your recording as it records
Old 08-14-07, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by JZ1276
get one with a time slip feature...the panny i use has this and it lets you watch whatever your recording as it records
Do you know which model you got?

What's the difference between Chase Playback and Time Slip?

Thanks
Old 08-14-07, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I have the DMR-ES30V VHS / DVD recorder combo. Only DVD recorder I hae owned thta i never had a problem with (and I've ownded about 5). I dont know what chase playback is but its probably the same as time slip.
Old 08-14-07, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a feeling Chase Playback is some sort of brand name. I think those are the same thing, which is watching a live show a few minutes late as it records.

Panasonic has DVD-RAM, which allows for this. Or any model with a hard drive should allow it.

I like my combo of a Tivo (any DVR would suffice) and a basic DVDR. I already have timeslip and easy temporary storage with the Tivo, so I don't worry about it in the DVDR. I burn to DVD when I want permanent storage.
Old 08-15-07, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
I have a feeling Chase Playback is some sort of brand name. I think those are the same thing, which is watching a live show a few minutes late as it records.
There is a Panasonic listed on Circuit City that has both Chase Playback and Time Slip listed as a feature, it kind of sounds like the same thing. The Chase description said something like, "Watch last weeks show while recording this weeks".