Reload this Page >

Let's talk about what comics you're reading in August, 2007

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 08-01-07, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, August is here, so I thought it was a good time to start up this month's new comics thread, plus it's New Comics day (Wednesday) too.

Discuss.
Old 08-01-07, 11:54 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm looking forward to the new Metal Men book coming out today!!
Old 08-01-07, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just finished Runaways Vol. 2. Fantastic read. Looking forward to starting Vol. 3 tonight.

I'm so far behind in my reading. Got another shipment yesterday that added 6 more trades to my to-read list.
Old 08-01-07, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I did like the first season of Runaways (vol. 1 #1-18, and season 2 was okay, but I'm not all that keen on Whedon's take on the Runaways, but I hear that Terry Moore will be wiring the title, and he's bringing them back to the west coast.
Old 08-01-07, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by bishop2knight
Just finished Runaways Vol. 2. Fantastic read. Looking forward to starting Vol. 3 tonight.

I'm so far behind in my reading. Got another shipment yesterday that added 6 more trades to my to-read list.
I started reading Runaways vol. 2 last month. Had to re-read volume 1, then blew through volumes 2 and 3 in a week or so. Anyone know what the artist has moved on to now?

edit: I also see that Ramos will draw Moore's run on the book. On the one hand, I thought Ramos was a great fit on Impulse... on the other hand, I've had a hard time reading his art recently (same with Chris Bachalo). Oh well, I'm waiting for the HC anyway...

Last edited by fujishig; 08-02-07 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-01-07, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 2 most glorious hardcovers that came out today that every comic book fan & US citizen should buy (especially Godland, it will kick your brain's ass):

&

Old 08-01-07, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good grief, this was supposed to be a small week, but I still ended up with 9 comics. I've gotta assert some self-control!
Old 08-02-07, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sessa17
The 2 most glorious hardcovers that came out today that every comic book fan & US citizen should buy (especially Godland, it will kick your brain's ass):
It seems to me both Buy.com and Amazon seriously underorder many of these hardcovers. Buy says "sold out" and Amazon says "ships in 1-3 weeks".
Old 08-02-07, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 593 Likes on 341 Posts
Thor #2 I haven't decided how I feel about this yet. I reread issue 1 before reading 2 and didn't dislike it as much as the first time (maybe because I knew what was gonna happen). On one hand I'm glad Thor isn't already fighting Crusher Creel but on the other hand I'm not sure I like the middle-of-nowhere USA Asgard either. I love Thor so I'll see how the next few issues go.

World War Hulk #3 Not as much ass-kicking - but still enjoying it.

Fantastic Four #548 Glad the Panther and Storm team aren't overshadowing things, and will be glad when it's back to the core group. Hating the trend of the story titles being a lame line from somewhere in the story. Stop that. Now. Otherwise, enjoyable goings on (taken out of WWH context, but this is Marvel).

Amazing Spider-man #542 (from last week) - Didn't Daredevil do this a few years ago? If the cover preview for next issue is any indication, looks like #400 all over again. (I'm guessing, of course, and since it appears in the current issue I don't feel I'm giving away anything)

Superman and Action are both busy with Countdown tie-ins, breaking up the decent flow both titles had going.
Old 08-06-07, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finished Runaways Vol. 3 this weekend. It was certainly a good read, but the stories seem to have lost a little of their luster after the first volume. I think a crucial part of the series early on was the uncertainty the runaways had about being on the run, about their parents, about themselves. Now that they've been out on their own for so long, the series has lost a little of the oomph it once had.

Not sure if I'll keep reading now that Vaughan's gone.
Old 08-06-07, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Got my monthly shipment in last week:

ALL STAR BATMAN AND ROBIN THE BOY WONDER #6 (Res): Ah, I'll go along with the joke, I guess. That Black Canary accent gets to me, though.

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #11: Great one-shot story that still had a bit of importance due to the Vixen revelation.

JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #7: Citizen Steel is an interesting take on the character, though him being immobile as a tank is going to get old. I also dislike the whole thing about throwing this traumatized guy into superhero garb without really giving him a choice. I like the Thom/Kal lunch, though I guess I'll have to pick up Action Comics to see the rest of the old Legion.

SUPERGIRL #19: That's gotta be the most misleading cover ever. The death of Superman again? Where the heck was it? Ultimate reset on this character, throwing away all the crap of the first 18 issues, and conveniently sweeping the whole issue of her underage flirting with Boomer under the rug. This book is as bad as Wonder Woman when it comes to wholesale editorial changes.

SUPERGIRL AND THE LEGION OF SUPER HEROES #32: Supergirl didn't really show up, but I like the direction this is going.

TEEN TITANS #49: Oh goody, more Amazons Attack nonsense. Oh, lets throw in a female commander for the troops. Hoping #50 gets this back on track, it's been somewhat of a mess since OYL.

WONDER WOMAN #11: And even more Amazons Attack. That does it, this book is off the pull list.

Also got the following tpbs:
INVINCIBLE MY FAVORITE MARTIAN VOL 8 TP
SQUADRON SUPREME HYPERION VS NIGHTHAWK TP: the only one I read so far, I was a bit disappointed.
STORMWATCH PHD VOL 1 TP
ULTIMATE X-MEN VOL 7 HC
UNCLE SAM AND THE FREEDOM FIGHTERS TP

And I finally read through Annihilation vol. 1 HC. Loved it, I guess I'll pick up the rest.
Old 08-06-07, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
It seems to me both Buy.com and Amazon seriously underorder many of these hardcovers. Buy says "sold out" and Amazon says "ships in 1-3 weeks".
Vicious circle. They underorder and they go out of stock right away. Then they don't reorder because no one is buying them.

You'd think they'd have some presales to go off of, though.
Old 08-06-07, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bishop2knight
Finished Runaways Vol. 3 this weekend. It was certainly a good read, but the stories seem to have lost a little of their luster after the first volume. I think a crucial part of the series early on was the uncertainty the runaways had about being on the run, about their parents, about themselves. Now that they've been out on their own for so long, the series has lost a little of the oomph it once had.

Not sure if I'll keep reading now that Vaughan's gone.
While it's true that the book was very different after the first volume, I still liked it... surprisingly, I didn't mind the additions to the cast and the character development was great. Also liked the whole ex-B-level superheroes concept. The creators who took over the book seem to be top notch, but I am worried about how Civil War affected this title... guess I'll find out when HC number 4 hits.
Old 08-06-07, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
Got my monthly shipment in last week:

STORMWATCH PHD VOL 1 TP

Post what you think after you read this. It may well be the second best "team" comic being published right now (& I knew nothing about Stormwatch going in), but I think I'm the only one that reads it. Although, unfortunately the book takes a big hit once the current artist takes over.
Old 08-06-07, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Christof Gage write a nasty and sometimes hilarious Stormwatch: PHD, I alway put this title on the top of the reading stack.
Old 08-08-07, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The last few issues of Walking Dead have been as good as ever. The wonky schedule of the book has made me not look forward to it coming out, but I'm always pleased when I get around to reading it.
Old 08-08-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
The last few issues of Walking Dead have been as good as ever. The wonky schedule of the book has made me not look forward to it coming out, but I'm always pleased when I get around to reading it.
Yeah, sometimes we go 2 months without a new issue, sometimes new issues ship back-to-back. It's okay though, i've switched to trades for that book. The single issues are just way too dense, and always have a cliffhanger. That for me is the worst format for a monthly. When a new issue comes out you always have to re-read old issues.
Old 08-08-07, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been reading the Y: The Last Man trades (just finished with #7), have The Dark Knight Returns and the first three trades of The Maxx on deck.

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 08-09-07, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cupcake jesus
I've been reading the Y: The Last Man trades (just finished with #7), have The Dark Knight Returns and the first three trades of The Maxx on deck.
You lucky bastard. Have you never read DKR or Maxx yet? Admittedly, I haven't read Maxx yet myself, but I've never heard anything but good things.

Superboy, yeah Walking Dead does work much better in trades than in single issues. Or by just saving a chunk of issues to read at one time. If you think about it, there really aren't 6 issue tight storyline structures in the book. There are always some more loose plot-threads dangling or being created.

Now that the Legion nonsense is over, Justice Society is back to kicking ass again. I wonder what is going to happen to the covers once Ross is done doing the iconic shot on black business.

JSA, Mighty Avengers, and X-Factor make me happy. Grant Morrison's Batman makes me unhappy. I was so looking forward to his run on my favorite corner of DC, but his run has felt incredibly uneven.

I said I was going to try Stormwatch PHD awhile ago, but I just really hate the art style. It isn't bad art, but it definitely isn't my cup of tea. I look forward to the artist change. Mahnke hits the same buttons that Leinil Yu does for me on New Avengers. But if I can get over the art issues with X-factor, I'll be able to do the same with Stormwatch or New Avengers eventually. Watch me even come around on the art after sitting down and engrossing myself in those stories.
Old 08-09-07, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm reading through America, Jr. It's a collection of the online strips. Yeah, I was part of the process (I edited the scripts before the art was done) but reading them again in something tangible I can hold...these things are great.

The collection is only $10 if i remember right, so you should check it out.
Old 08-09-07, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
I've been liking Ennis' The Boys, but this last issue was more than a little boring and uninteresting - we get it Garth, you don't like the idea of superheroes, but that's no excuse for limp scenes and boring dialog. Even the only real action scene in the issue happens "off-panel". The last three issues could've easily been condensed into one - seems like Ennis is finally going the Bendis route...
Old 08-09-07, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Haven't been to the shop since June, so I'm currently reading Essential X-men Vol. 1. Just finished Essential Marvel Team Up Vol. 1 and Spectacular Spider-Man Vol. 1. I am obsessed with these things. So much so that I have been selling trading off my actual single issues in favor of "Essential" versions.
Old 08-09-07, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Haven't been to the shop since June, so I'm currently reading Essential X-men Vol. 1. Just finished Essential Marvel Team Up Vol. 1 and Spectacular Spider-Man Vol. 1. I am obsessed with these things. So much so that I have been selling trading off my actual single issues in favor of "Essential" versions.
So are those rereads for you or are you reading some of those for the first time?

I find it hard to read older stuff sometimes just because of the different approach that was taken to comics in the 60's and 70's. I pretty much only go back as far as the 80's with a few exceptions for older reading. I LOVE to look at the artwork from those times periods though, just not read the stories so much.

I do want to read those original Lee/Kirby FF issues someday though.
Old 08-09-07, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
So are those rereads for you or are you reading some of those for the first time?
For Marvel...it's half and half really. I had so many gaps in my runs of some of these titles, it ended up being easier just to pick up an Essential and sell off what I did have.

Now I do also have a few of the DC Showcase Presents books, and those are almost all first time reads for me. Loved the Superman volumes. Those are some seriously bizarre stories.
Old 08-09-07, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
I'm in one of my, "I don't feel like reading shit" moods so i'm buying on auto pilot and stakcing them up. When I'm like this I'll sometimest read one shots but anything longer than 2 issues gets put on hold.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.