Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Underworld album - Oblivion with Bells, Oct. 2007

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 06-19-07, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

I'm so excited. Underworld announced their first album in 5 years, Oblivion with Bells, for release in October. Press release here:

http://www.underworldlive.com/index/...20Announce.zip

And here's the sweet cover:

Finally, some good news after the past few days of crap from Greece:

Heineken Ejekt Festival 2007
16th June 2007

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

UNDERWORLD MEMBER INJURED AS GANG STORMS STADIUM.

Underworlds’ Rick Smith, Karl Hyde, Darren Price and crew were caught up in trouble reportedly caused by “anarchists” at the Ejekt Festival in Athens on Saturday night (16/06/07). Underworld were scheduled to close the festival that also included Madness and The Beastie Boys. It is reported that a group of around 30 masked individuals, armed with CS-gas, iron bars and baseball bats stormed the stadium at around 11.20pm as The Beastie Boys were performing. As cars were burned and property damaged, the stadium was evacuated. Underworlds’ Rick Smith was one of the injured. He was hospitalised for a time in Athens, but has now returned to the UK for further treatment. Several other people including security guards were seriously hurt.
Old 06-19-07, 03:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
when I hear of rioting I automatically think of University of Maryland...

no but seriousily, can't wait for the new album.
Old 06-19-07, 03:18 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
That about matches up with my Athens experience from a month ago.
Tear Gas, Riot Police etc etc.
Old 06-19-07, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. Can't wait to hear this. I'd almost completely forgotten about them. If you don't own "dubnobasswitmyheadman", go and get it. Now.
Old 06-19-07, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Underworld, Chemical Brothers, Smashing Pumpkins, KMFDM

It's a good year.
Old 06-20-07, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts
I was thinking of seeing Underworld at Red Rocks this summer, but decided not to. While I like the group, and Red Rocks kicks ass, I don't think I could handle the people that would be at the show. 14 year olds x'd out kind of bother me.
Old 06-20-07, 08:53 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I'd love to see them 'live' again, cause the last time they played in DC, they literally had stepped off the plane, all the lighting/projected video wasn't employed. Great show, but surprisingly sparse on the light show aspect.

Saw a little bit of them at Reading Festival at the time when their song was featured in the film 'Trainspotting'. They were on the second stage/tent - it was so crammed me and my friend couldn't get in - opted to go see the Stone Roses on the main stage (big mistake there )
Old 06-21-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So is this with all the original members?
Old 06-21-07, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by naitram
So is this with all the original members?
Yes and no - Darren Price replaced Darren Emerson before "A Hundred Days Off". [Price might not have been involved with "AHDO", I forget exactly.] However, Emerson was never really involved with the band until a bit before "dubnobasswithmyheadman" came out. So technically, yes it has both original members still, but the "classic" Underworld threesome that we think of is no more. Or something like that.

I'm cautiously excited - it's great to be getting a new Underworld album finally, and they've yet to disappoint. However, I was a much bigger fan of the remixes on the Riverrun 12"s than the original Underworld versions so we'll see...
Old 06-23-07, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Rick Smith and Karl Hyde have been in various bands together since the early 80's. When Darren Emerson joined the pair in 1991, that's when they formed the Underworld we know today, which went on to make Born Slippy a few years later. Emerson left the band after the 1999-2000 Beaucoup Fish tour for his own solo DJ career. They performed as just a duo during the 2002-2003 AHDO tour.

Darren Price, who DJ'd for the band and whom they have known for probably 15 years, joined them onstage for Underworld live performances since 2005. Several of Price's own songs are played and mixed regularly during Underworld performances. Although I think Underworld is still technically a duo (the liner notes on the upcoming album should clarify this), Pricey is definitely a fixture of the live line-up.
Old 06-29-07, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tracklisting revealed:

01. Crocodile
02. Beautiful Burnout
03. Holding The Moth
04. To Heal
05. Ring Road
06. Glam Bucket
07. Boy, Boy, Boy
08. Cuddle Bunny vs The Celtic Villages
09. Faxed Invitation
10. Good Morning Cockerel
11. Best Mamgu Ever
Old 10-17-07, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, the album dropped yesterday. Did anyone listen to it?

Also, today, tomorrow, and the day after tomorrow, you can tune in to free Underworld concert video feeds streamed live from London:

http://www.underworldlive.com/live-on-air
Old 10-17-07, 07:52 AM

I've been listening to it a little for the past few days - my local indie sometimes has stuff out early, so I managed to grab a copy on Monday.

'Crocodile' and 'Beautiful Burnout' make up possibly the best opening one/two all year. I especially love how they melt into each other. After that....well, let's just say it was not the album I was expecting it to be. I don't not like it, but it's certainly not the love at first listen 'Crocodile' suggested it would be. Definately gonna need some time with this one, though I do feel strangely drawn to it.