Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

What is the point of UPS Mail Innovations

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 06-18-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know the point of this? A lot of companies are using this now. It basically goes to UPS then to USPS for delivery. Is it cheaper than media for these companies? I ask because it is a lot slower.

Media is cheap I cant imagine they are saving much.
Old 06-18-07, 06:09 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, it's just cheaper. Probably adds up to a big chunk of change for the big retailers shipping tons of stuff everyday.
Old 06-18-07, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah Bestbuy uses it all the time for their ground shipments... so slow sometimes.
Old 06-18-07, 09:07 PM

By using the combination of the 2, UPS gets Saturday delivery --- cheap, let the Post Office do it, but probably the "we will charge you extra because its a Saturday delivery."

Also I have seen Amazon use this in the past, where DHL or Fed Ex, etc. ships it close to the destination and then the Postal Service takes it from there, like from the major airport to the local PO then out to whereever. And, hey, why not, makes sense to let the people who know the area deliver rather than your deliverer trying to find some obscure place.

Atleast that is the way it was somewhat describe to me awhile back.
Old 06-20-07, 08:04 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
There are all kinds of sub-contracting out among the shipping organizations. As a mail carrier we get stuff from DHL, Airborne, Fed Ex and UPS to deliver. They get most of the money, do the leg work and have to drop the packages off at the local post office themselves. The post office loves the deal because even if they only make 50 cents on the package, all they do is toss it on the carriers pile to deliver and we make the same amount of pay if there is 10 packages or 100 to deliver.
Old 06-20-07, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by DisneyDVDFAN
yeah Bestbuy uses it all the time for their ground shipments... so slow sometimes.
Unbelievably slow. It seems like everytime I see the UPS Mail Innovations tracking site, I know I'm going to be waiting an eternity to receive my items.
Old 06-28-07, 09:15 AM

I once had a package from Best Buy get misdirected. It was sent from a city not more than 40 miles away from me, I tracked it online and instead of getting to me within a few days it went all the way to Minnesota, which is several states away. I didn't get the package until about 2 weeks later.

Needless to say, I have basically stopped shopping via Best Buy. I switched over to amazon.com. Quick delivery and no misdirection.