Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Question: where to bargain hunt in the LA/Newport Beach area?

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 05-31-07, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, everyone, for all your great recommendations in Dallas last weekend - they were a great help, and I had a great time hunting for bargains at Half Price Books and elsewhere. (See this link. ) This weekend, I'm going to L.A. and slightly south down to Newport Beach, and I was wondering whether anyone has any recommendations for bargains in that area. Thanks!
Old 05-31-07, 03:20 PM

Amoeba is the one prominent used store in LA, but DO NOT go there. You may find some nice OOP titles, but bargains is one thing you will not.

Otherwise, no tips for you unfortunately. Sorry.
Old 05-31-07, 05:31 PM
Cool New Member

Rockaway Records in Silverlake, and they have a sale the first Sunday of the month.
Old 05-31-07, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dman988
Amoeba is the one prominent used store in LA, but DO NOT go there. You may find some nice OOP titles, but bargains is one thing you will not.

Otherwise, no tips for you unfortunately. Sorry.
i agree most of the rare, oop, and htf titles at amoeba are not a bargain. still, if you look hard enough or are lucky, you can find a steal.

if you were serious, id allocate a good 2-3 hours though.
Old 06-01-07, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't know where you're from, but if you don't have Fry's Electronics in your area, you might want to check them out while you're in SoCal. They have a store in Fountain Valley, which you'd likely pass on your way to Newport (on the 405)

Also, DVD Planet has its B&M Store in Huntington Beach, nice place for Criterions at good prices. The Virgin Megastore at The Block in Orange isn't usually cheap, but they occasionally break street date and you can sometimes find OOP titles there due to their high prices.
Old 06-01-07, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Second Spin is located in Costa Mesa....Probably about 10 minutes from Newport Beach. I've sold some CD's/DVD's there and they also have a pretty decent assortment of used CD/DVD bargains.

http://www.secondspin.com/stores/ss/...costa-mesa.jsp
Old 06-01-07, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't forget to visit Second Spin. The have a B&M store at 1781 Newport Blvd, Costa Mesa. Plenty of new and used titles to browse. It's not a big store so you should be able to make your way through it in an hour or less. I can almost always find something I want from there. There's also a Del Taco a block south from there .

Didn't see the previous post. Sorry!

Last edited by dvduser6; 06-01-07 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-01-07, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
I also give another vote for DVD Planet in Huntington Beach. Very good selection and they carry alot of stuff that Best Buy and Circuit City wouldn't have. The new release prices are pretty good as well....about 30-35% off suggested retail.
Old 06-01-07, 08:10 PM
Banned

I live in Newport Beach. Yes, there is the Del Taco there, but if you go there, you have to check out Super Chicken, that place looks like junk on the outside, but has some great food.
Old 06-01-07, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dude, forget about DVD bargain hunting. You're going to be in NEWPORT. Head to the beach, man!

Anyway, I'll also recommend a trip to DVD Planet.

The other location is a few blocks from me in Rancho Cucamonga. Great selection (especially Criterion and some hard-to-find horror titlles) and whatever sales they're running online, they'll also have in-store.

OK prices. You probably won't find many bargains, however.
Old 06-01-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DeVante
I live in Newport Beach. Yes, there is the Del Taco there, but if you go there, you have to check out Super Chicken, that place looks like junk on the outside, but has some great food.
I love those authentic hole-in-the-wall places. I could never get my wife to eat there and have long since forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder. I will definitely give it a try next time I'm over there.
Old 06-02-07, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I know it's a bit in the other direction but there's a great store in Tarzana called CD Trader. Cheap prices on a lot of newer titles (usually around 11 bucks) and the older titles are even cheaper. I buy 85% of my DVDs from them.

Oh, and they have a stamp card dealie. Every ten items you buy (a 2-Disc set counts as TWO), you get either a free CD or $7.99 off any other item.
Old 06-02-07, 05:31 AM

thanks for the info bout second spin. was looking for a used dvd store near me.