Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Prince - Planet Earth (New Album?) Summer

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-26-07, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.3121.com/
lot's of speculation. new album? benefit concert? 07.07.07?
Old 03-26-07, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I checked on Prince.org (anything is more reliable than Prince's "official" site). Someone started the thread and posted this:

You guys think this is the cover for a new single, album promo, world tour, or JUST the benefit concert coming up on July 7th?

He'll probably do Live Earth on 7/7/07 ... we all know his deal with 7

He talked about the planet earth at the NAACP awards..

New song being performed in Vegas.. "Somewhere Here on Earth"

And now this.. Planet Earth Coming Soon Summer (July 7th to be exact??) 2007
I would've kept reading, but then I realized that I didn't care. I am so past trying to figure out his cryptic BS. Especially when it turns out to NEVER be released. Of course, if/when it comes out, i'll be there opening day. I'm just tired of the games in Prince's universe.
Old 03-26-07, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
I checked on Prince.org (anything is more reliable than Prince's "official" site). Someone started the thread and posted this:

I would've kept reading, but then I realized that I didn't care. I am so past trying to figure out his cryptic BS. Especially when it turns out to NEVER be released. Of course, if/when it comes out, i'll be there opening day. I'm just tired of the games in Prince's universe.
Hear, hear. (Or is it "here, here"?)

Even fans have their limits as to what kind of hijinks their "idols" will do. Just because Prince has enjoyed a surge in popularity (a justified surge) after the Superbowl appearance, doesn't mean he can still maintain his coy, undetermined, committment-less way of promoting his music.

I hope it's a new album (unless we're talking THE RAINBOW CHILDREN, REVISITED) and still love his music, but the guy needs to give his games a rest.
Old 03-26-07, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like the inevitable crossover album with ex-vice president Al Gore.
Old 03-27-07, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Looks like the inevitable crossover album with ex-vice president Al Gore.

yeah!!!

wait, what?
Old 03-27-07, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by DieselsDen
I hope it's a new album (unless we're talking THE RAINBOW CHILDREN, REVISITED) and still love his music, but the guy needs to give his games a rest.
the chest hair in the pic is reminiscent of the alphabet st. video, so i'm going out on a limb here and going to say it will sound like lovesexy. as for his games, i'd say he's calmed down, except for charging $2 for 'guitar'. it's just the fanboys that are blowing things out of proportion for this 'planet earth'.
Old 03-27-07, 03:44 AM

Somehow I got the feeling that it might be another less than brilliant instrumental album. He hasn't put any of those out for a while now.

But like Rogue588, I'm not too interested in playing Prince's guessing games. Twenty years of it is more than enough, especially since during that time you have usually ended up disappointed more often than you have really been satisfied. Not that all the music would have been that bad, but building up all that excitement almost always ends up disappointing one. The only real exception having perhaps been The Rainbow Children, which I really liked more than I thought I would.

Note, though, that it is Europe that is pictured on the globe, not North America as is standard for an American artist. Interesting. At least he seems to know about Europe, which is not something that was entirely clear considering the places he has been touring in the recent years.
Old 03-27-07, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by spinning plates
the chest hair in the pic is reminiscent of the alphabet st. video, so i'm going out on a limb here and going to say it will sound like lovesexy.
So, using this logic, does that mean Britney Spears' new album will be Hare Krishna music?
Old 03-28-07, 12:20 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The man has seriously been his own worst enemy as far as screwing up his career. I'm still a fan, but it's frustrating how he seems to squander every surge of popularity he gets by doing something off the wall. I thought he was back on track with his latest comeback, but I fear the crazy Prince (a.k.a. ) is starting to emerge again.
Old 03-28-07, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by DRG
I thought he was back on track with his latest comeback,
Well, at least this time around we got the whole "Planet Earth" image in one go. Remember how with 3121 we only got one bit of the "Te Amo Corazon" image at a time over at NPGMC! It took them like a whole week to unveil the complete picture.
Old 04-01-07, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still have faith in the man, Musicology and 3121 were both good albums
Old 04-01-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
I recently read that Prince is one of the acts playing the 'Live Earth' benefit concert, sponsored by Al Gore, on 7/7/07. Other acts include Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bon Jovi, Snoop Dogg, Melissa Etheridge, the Foo Fighters, Lenny Kravitz, Sheryl Crow, John Mayer, Duran Duran, Korn, Pharrell, the Black Eyed Peas, Akon, Enrique Iglesias, Faith Hill and Tim McGraw.

More info at http://www.liveearth.org/
Old 04-01-07, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by vili
Note, though, that it is Europe that is pictured on the globe, not North America as is standard for an American artist.
Maybe he's fucking Hawaii.
Old 04-01-07, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by vili
Note, though, that it is Europe that is pictured on the globe, not North America as is standard for an American artist. Interesting. At least he seems to know about Europe, which is not something that was entirely clear considering the places he has been touring in the recent years.
But the tip of his necklace is pointing at the North Pole, so I think he's going to be releasing an early album of Christmas music...

...or am I putting too much thought into this?
Old 04-01-07, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
You guys are crazy..