Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Undisputed" classics that didn't live up to their hype.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-10-07, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All in your experience, of course.

For me, it's got to be:

Casablanca (1943)
Ben-Hur (1959)
The Last Temptation of Christ (1988)
Indianca Jones and the Radiers of the Lost Ark (1981)

Anyone have any others?
Old 03-10-07, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
It is Raiders of the Lost Ark and in my opinion one of the best films ever made.
Old 03-10-07, 09:30 PM
Banned

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
Old 03-10-07, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
It is Raiders of the Lost Ark and in my opinion one of the best films ever made.
just watched the first two of the trilogy tonight! great movie i though!
Old 03-10-07, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Godfather
Old 03-10-07, 10:06 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
The Billy Wilder film "Ace in the Hole" everybody wants released on dvd. I saw it at a film festival and was very disappointed.
Old 03-10-07, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

An anime "masterpiece" I forgot to mention that didn't really work for me is Spirited Away. Maybe I'm just not a Miyazaki guy, I don't really "get" him. Same with Howl's Moving Castle (thought it's not as revered as the former). I appriciate them for their style much more than their substance.
Old 03-10-07, 10:52 PM
Banned

Maybe these are too recent, but:

Hero
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Full Metal Jacket
Million Dollar Baby
Gladiator
American Baby
Old 03-10-07, 11:09 PM

Crash - The hype was unjustifiable. For the issue on racism Crash only scratched the surface of it as its narrative and characters were far too simple and action-orientated. It is one of the weakest Oscar winners for "Best Writing." There are many other films that dealt with racism in deeper aspects (e.g. its ambiguity) and won't afraid to speak out, unfortunately these never ever receive the same treatment as Crash did.
Old 03-10-07, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I concur with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. My dislike for that film is bordering on hatred.
Old 03-10-07, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mine is Easy Rider. I thought it was unfocused and very dated. I kept saying to myself, "I guess if I was high and was a 60's survivor I'd be enjoying this movie".
Old 03-10-07, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts
I'll throw out a few comedies:

The Blues Brothers - The only thing this has going for it is the music and the cameos
Animal House - I can't find anything good about this movie, almost unwatchable, IMO

Some other "true" classics:

2001: A Space Odyssey - I really tried with this one but it bored me to tears.

Easy Rider - This was a product of its time and nothing more.

Rebel Without a Cause - This is an alright film but unfortunately it's seriously dated. Those kids "problems" are laughable by today's standards.
Old 03-10-07, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Casablanca? Blasphemy! Greatest movie ever made!

You wanna talk about overhyped: 2001 A Space Odyssey.

Here are some others:
Scarface -good, not great

The English Patient -well, the Academy liked it, I've yet to meet anyone that has

Saving Private Ryan -typical Spielberg to throw in a message or whatever about letting the German guy escape and then coming back to kill the heroes.

Schindler's List -more Spielberg bashing. Basically, this movie was praised because of its subject matter, filmed in black and white to look important. Pretty much any director with half a brain could've made this film and do a better job. While we are on the subject, I can't believe how much praise Spielberg gets. He makes decent popcorn flicks but he's never ever made a picture that had me thinking afterwards. Now that I think about it, I don't understand why he's not bashed as much as Michael Bay is.
Old 03-10-07, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Jordan Raup

American Baby
American Beauty?
Old 03-10-07, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's a matter of perspective.

If you have none, you just don't "get" classic movies. And it (a lack of perspective) is typically a characteristic of the young (in the sense of a lack of maturity, not age per se) and/or lacking in imagination.

IMHO, of course.
Old 03-10-07, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Jordan Raup

Full Metal Jacket
20 years ago is "too recent"?

American Baby
There's no movie by that name. I'm guessing zombeaner is right and you meant American Beauty.
Old 03-11-07, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
The Godfather
seconded.
Old 03-11-07, 12:57 AM

It's a matter of perspective.

If you have none, you just don't "get" classic movies. And it (a lack of perspective) is typically a characteristic of the young (in the sense of a lack of maturity, not age per se) and/or lacking in imagination.

IMHO, of course.
Actually you meant IMO, nothing about that opinion is humble. And stereotyping to suit your needs is typically a trait of adults who are anything but.

I believe that I have perspective. I don't consider myself to have a lack of maturity. I do get Citizen Kane but I don't like it. It is overrated, IMO Now on the other hand I like Casablanca, what does that mean?

Last edited by FalconH10; 03-11-07 at 01:05 AM.
Old 03-11-07, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm "young", nineteen. I 'got' and loved Citizen Kane. The only other film that had that sort of reputation/hype/status when I saw it was Casablanca, which really didn't work for me.
Old 03-11-07, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't want to seem like I'm just coming into the thread and poking anyone with a stick in order to just agitate anyone, but for those of you who mention Casablanca, I'd really like to know just what it is that you don't like about it.

That's all.
Old 03-11-07, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
You wanna talk about overhyped: 2001 A Space Odyssey.
Look, a blasphemer talking about blasphemy.

Seriously, 2001 is slow but magnificent.

Originally Posted by hardercore
The only other film that had that sort of reputation/hype/status when I saw it was Casablanca, which really didn't work for me.
The same with me - the first time I've seen the movie, I think it was a boring overrated piece and I think its just an average movie at best. But then I remembered that Ebert mentioned that you need to see Casablanca more than once to appreciate its goodness, and he's right. That movie just grew on me and after a few viewing I just loved it.

And oh, the reason I don't like Casablanca the first time around is that I don't expected it to be such a sentimental movie because based on the word I heard, although it is a love story but more about heroism and stuff.
Old 03-11-07, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by FalconH10
I believe that I have perspective. I don't consider myself to have a lack of maturity. I do get Citizen Kane but I don't like it. It is overrated, IMO Now on the other hand I like Casablanca, what does that mean?
I'm right with you. Citizen Kane was the first film that popped into my head when I saw this thread. I can understand how groundbreaking it was at the time, but it didn't grab me. Casablanca on the otherhand, I'm not a classic movie buff but I'd still puit it up there with my all time favorite movies.

Schindler's List is another that I can admire but I don't like nearly as much as everyone else.

And to GoldenJCJ, Animal House was unwatchable? Didn't like The Blues Brothers?? I'd love to see what comedies you do like. Not an attack, just curious!
Old 03-11-07, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
There was a few in my oscar-marathon-challenge that I called out. Probably the one that tops my list:

Stalag 17-The prisoners seem to be having such a blast there. Why would they want to escape? Plus the "humor" in this has not held up one bit.
Old 03-11-07, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Akira"

I'm sure a lot was cut out from what was contained in the manga/book series/whatever...but there are some things in that movie that just didn't make sense.

Although the guy freaking out and seeing those toys turn into monsters was really creepy.
Old 03-11-07, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

RE: Casablanca. I saw it about 2 months ago and the story never really engaged me (hence my not being able to remember specifics). But I do remember knowing from about 20 minutes into the film what Bogart's character would ultimately do at the end for Bergman. There was no real surprise for me. I never got really drawn in by the characters. It didn't affect me at all on any emotional level, probably BECAUSE I never really got drawn into the characters. I suppose it might be one of those films that grows on you, but I honestly can't see myself rewatching it for some time.

Last edited by hardercore; 03-11-07 at 04:54 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.