Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Good records/singles not reissued on CD

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-04-07, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am curious of recommendations of good records and 45s (or maybe the a-side is on CD but the b-side has never been put on CD) that have never been reissued on CD.

As for styles of music...I am pretty wide open to a lot of different styles, but mainly rock/alternative rock/good pop songs....but I have a wide variety of styles in my collection.
Old 03-05-07, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts
The first R.E.O. Speedwagon album
The two Crawler albums from '77 and '78 Crawler & Snake, Rattle and Roll
Most the the Head East catalog including the great live album
The two albums from a band called Missouri
Buckingham/Nicks
Old 03-05-07, 10:11 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
The Rainy Day album, a collection of covers of 60s classics by some of the leading lights of the early-80s "Paisley Underground."

Time Fades Away by Neil Young.
Old 03-05-07, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wendersfan

Time Fades Away by Neil Young.
This was released in Germany by Island Records in 1987. Been out of print for about 15 years. Also has several studio bonus tracks that do not appear on any other album/cd.
Old 03-05-07, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rw2516
This was released in Germany by Island Records in 1987. Been out of print for about 15 years. Also has several studio bonus tracks that do not appear on any other album/cd.
"Time Fades Away" and the other remaining missing Neil album (the "Journey Through The Past" soundtrack) were supposedly remastered and ready for release when the other four "missing" albums came out a couple of years back. (On the Beach, American Stars & Bars, Hawks and Doves, and Reactor) but Neil presumably pulled them because he was unhappy with the quality. There may be an issue with the original masters being lost or not in the best condition. Neil is very particular about this stuff and it unfortunately looks unlikely that he'll ever release TFA, which is a shame, because IMO it's a powerful album and the raw nature of the tracks is what makes it so good. At least it looks like the long long wait for his "Archives" box set may finally be over, but it's been delayed for so long, I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 03-05-07, 02:02 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Time Fades Away is one of my five favorite Neil albums, along with After the Gold Rush, On the Beach, Zuma, and Tonight's the Night. I hate that I may never have it on CD (although I own all of the above on vinyl.)
Old 03-05-07, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like some of the songs from the "D.C. Cab" soundtrack that - as far as I know - has never been released on CD.
Old 03-05-07, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The cd I have of Time Fades Away sounds just as raw as the album. Most of the writing on the inserts is in german. Copyright 1987 Island Records, Ltd. (reads copyright 1973 Reprise on the spine). Catalog #664 987. Made in Austria. Whatever this means, it reads, 'Freigegeben ehne Alterebaschrlinkung. gema8 & 7. JOSchG FSK' Has the usual "original recording on analog equipment..." statement. Unauthorized duplication, blah, blah is in english and german. There is a square logo of somesort with a picture of what looka like one of the doohickeys with a point that you stick a pencil in to draw a perfect circle surrounded by really small german writing.
The bonus tracks that as far as I can tell have never appeared on any Young album or cd anywhere else are

HOMEFIRES(4:01)
PEACE OF MIND(4:53)
EVENING COCONUT(5:21)
BIRDS(1:39)
WAR SONG(3:27)
TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT(live)(7:39)