Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Thieves: Criterion Collection - Why aren't people talking about this one?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Bicycle Thieves: Criterion Collection - Why aren't people talking about this one?

Old 02-15-07, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a reason that there aren't more people talking about this release of Bicycle Thieves? Even before I really got into film, before I really started to respect it, I heard many people say that it was their favorite movie ever, or at least the greatest movie ever made. Then here we are, Criterion releasing it on DVD, and I don't see any talk about it at all hardly, not here or anywhere else. Heck, I can't find any reviews of it other than the DVDBeaver deal. I figured that there would be a multi-page thread on this one DVD here somewhere by this point.

I know that the CC release is "pictureboxed", and I know that there isn't a commentary, but it still sounds like a fantastic release. I have it on order, so I hope to have it pretty soon.

I just don't get it, that's all.
Old 02-15-07, 10:24 PM

I'll be flat out honest with you... I'm not talking about it because I've never heard of it.

Call me sheltered.

Or just call me too poor to afford Criterions these days.
Old 02-15-07, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,118 Likes on 1,453 Posts
Great film, I first saw it in a University film criticism class years ago (I know the film better by the alternate title translation THE BICYCLE THIEF). I'd like to hear how the Criterion version is.
Old 02-15-07, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't worry, ignition. You're not the only one!
Old 02-16-07, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ha, oh well. I guess I assumed too much about this one.
Old 02-16-07, 01:11 AM

Maybe people aren't making too big a deal about it because it is already out in a decent release on Image. I agree, it's a great movie, and one I love. But I'm not going to double dip just because it's Criterion (e$pecially becau$e it's Criterion)
Old 02-16-07, 01:36 AM

I think it is natural for casual film go-ers to overlook Bicycle Theif because it is a branch of Italian cinema (neo-realism) and its CC. I am expecting mine to arrive in a week or so.
Old 02-16-07, 01:43 AM
Suspended

Well if you hadn't heard of it before now you have so go give it a try and see why it is considered one of the greatest films ever made

Maybe people aren't making too big a deal about it because it is already out in a decent release on Image. I agree, it's a great movie, and one I love. But I'm not going to double dip just because it's Criterion (e$pecially becau$e it's Criterion)
The Image disc is going for 18.99 on Amazon.com and the Criterion edition is 29.99. 18.99 for a disc that has inferior picture and audio not to mention it being without any extras, not even a single one. OR 29.99 for the best picture and audio with a second disc loaded with extras and a 10 to 30 page booklet all housed in a quality dvd case.

The Image disc may have been "decent" before Criterion came along but now its just crap.

P.S. you can get the Criterion version for just $25 on dvdplanet which makes the image disc look even worse

Last edited by Harry Lime; 02-16-07 at 01:46 AM.
Old 02-16-07, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Harry Lime
The Image disc is going for 18.99 on Amazon.com and the Criterion edition is 29.99. 18.99 for a disc that has inferior picture and audio not to mention it being without any extras, not even a single one. OR 29.99 for the best picture and audio with a second disc loaded with extras and a 10 to 30 page booklet all housed in a quality dvd case.

The Image disc may have been "decent" before Criterion came along but now its just crap.

P.S. you can get the Criterion version for just $25 on dvdplanet which makes the image disc look even worse

I'm not arguing with you. I'd probably buy the Criterion if I didn't have a copy which really is pretty good (i.e. not cobbled together by a Madacy if it were public domain) - and if Criterion had been the first to release it, I would have soiled myself waiting for to purchase a copy. I simply contend that I don't consider a Criterion double dip worth the money. ...especially with my viewing habits, as I watch the extras exactly once (even good ones like the Heinrich Böll documentary on the CC Katharina Blum DVD)
Old 02-16-07, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with iamnothitler (gladyou'renot!) I have the Image release and usually have to be bowled over by reviews or extras before I upgrade, even with a Criterion. For example, I did upgrade Fanny & Alexander (I had the region2 release) but stayed pat with the region2 dvd of The Double Life of Veronique. I Netflixed it for the always interesting commentary from what's her name, Insdorf? I also stayed with my region2 dvd of The Spirit of the Beehive and rented the 2nd disc for the extras. Bicycle Thief(Thieves?) is a great film and I'm happy to have a copy. IMO it's not "crap" even compared to what must be a superior Criterion version.
Old 02-16-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Incredible movie. Like most other people who love it, though, I first saw it in a film class. This and "Two Women" were the "neo-realist masterpieces" we were shown to represent the genre.
Old 02-16-07, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Apone
I think it is natural for casual film go-ers to overlook Bicycle Theif because it is a branch of Italian cinema (neo-realism) and its CC.
Oh yeah, I don't expect the casuals to be dying for this DVD or anything like that. I just don't think that there are too many of those people on DVDTalk. Anyway, keep the thoughts and comments coming guys.
Old 02-16-07, 12:24 PM
Cool New Member

I own this DVD but I haven't had a chance to give it a spin yet. Packaging is lovely though, and the book is extensive. (But Criterion always excels at this don't they?)

Anyway, what's this window-boxing stuff I keep hearing about, is there a quick summary of this issue somewhere because I can't recollect too well what that issue was all about.
Old 02-16-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a birthday coming up in two weeks and may pick this up then. It's certainly been on my wishlist long enough.
Old 02-16-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cirving
I own this DVD but I haven't had a chance to give it a spin yet. Packaging is lovely though, and the book is extensive. (But Criterion always excels at this don't they?)

Anyway, what's this window-boxing stuff I keep hearing about, is there a quick summary of this issue somewhere because I can't recollect too well what that issue was all about.
Check out this:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcom...cyclethief.htm

And then they link to this to explain it:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDRev...dvd_review.htm
Old 02-16-07, 12:43 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by iamnothitler
This is why I've not really made a big deal of it. It's certainly one of my favorite movies, but I've seen it a bunch of times, and since I'm not buying a lot of DVDs these days (combination of Netflix, lack of shelf space, and the dollar's value against the pound) I don't plan on replacing my old disk with the Criterion, at least any time soon.
Old 02-16-07, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have the image release and immediately upgraded. The extras and the picture improvement is worth it. I am however, not a HUGE fan of the movie, but recognize it's importance.
Old 02-16-07, 05:22 PM
Banned

Waiting for my dvd to arrive.
Old 02-18-07, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got mine in the mail today, so I hope to go through it pretty soon. I also just noticed that the DVDTalk review is up now, and it sounds great:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=26642

FINAL THOUGHTS:
Highly Recommended The Bicycle Thieves – Criterion Collection package is a stellar presentation of an important film. While other landmarks of cinema might have lost their power over the years, existing more as intellectual curiosities and historical footnotes, De Sica's portrait of a working father who is running out of options is still emotionally powerful and morally relevant. In many ways, the Neorealist technique is just as important in these days of the DV revolution as they were in post-War Italy. The concerns of the poor and the plight of the family will also strike home, proving that the best works of socially concerned art are the ones that don't forget to be art first and foremost.
Old 02-18-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to pick this up eventually. I haven't bought too many Criterion dvds in awhile. I thought it would've been more talked about too but even in the Announcement thread when it was first posted people weren't making a big deal. I think it's huge though. The Bicycle Thief is up there with Seven Samurai, Citizen Kane, and The Passion of Joan of Arc as one of the most important films ever made.
Old 02-18-07, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I ended up watching the movie last night, as well as the Working With De Sica extra, and then half of the Life as It Is: The Neorealist Movement in Italy extra as well. Once I started watching the film, I couldn't stop, and I only stopped watching the extras because it was very, very late. Even with my posts earlier, I had never actually watched the entire film before from start to finish, so to see that I'm blown away would be an understatement. Not only because of the story of the film, but also because of the fact that all of the main players in the film were unknowns when they filmed this, and were complete and total amateurs. Heck, two of the supporting players never did another film.

Lamberto Maggiorani as Antonio Ricci is without a doubt one of the all time greatest performances in film. There have been few times when I was moved by a movie in such a strong way, simply by the look on an actor's face. This movie has plenty of those moments, and it's just amazing. Enzo Staiola as Bruno also did a great job showing emotion, all throughout the film all the way up to the very end.

I highly recommend this DVD to all of you here, not only those who are already a fan of the film. The film will hook you, and the extras will make you very interested in learning more about the Neorealist movement.

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 02-18-07 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-18-07, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll be picking this up during the next DD sale. I watched this in a film class a couple years ago and really enjoyed it. One of the greatest ever? I don't know about that but it is definitely a great movie.
Old 02-21-07, 02:50 PM

too expensive

I have over 100 Criterion discs, and to be honest, I'm tired of dishing out the cash, they are too expensive. What really has me ticked off, is all the re-releases. I think I'm going to wait for HD. I'm done.
Old 02-21-07, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD King
Yikes, over 100? I think it's time to be more selective.
Yeah, there's not 100 good films in the criterion collection (?). Very constructive...

Anyway, I've been excited about this, too. Through whatever grapevine, I have also always heard/thought of this as one of the greatest films of all time. Maybe I don't agree entirely, but I think this is a wonderful film. Mine should be arriving any day now...

Like others have said, I think the lack of talking (perhaps not to be confused with lack of excitement) is due to the o.k. release already in existence.

I'm kind of curious what kept the Criterion edition from getting the "DVD Talk Collectors Series," rather than "highly recommended."
Old 02-21-07, 09:44 PM

I have always loved this movie. Since, I do not own this yet Ill probably be picking up the Criterion version soon.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.