Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Samsung DLP warranty bulb replacement?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-03-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For anyone who has a Samsung DLP and has got a warranty bulb replacement through them, or might know in general. Does the bulb need to be dead to get the replacement or can it just be dim? Also do they NEED to come out to your house or can they just send it to you?

Last edited by DVDsAreMyLIFE; 01-03-07 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-03-07, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know about that warranty specifically, but my assumption would be that at the stated bulb life you should get another one. It is even dangerous sometimes to run a bulb beyond the expected life.
Old 01-03-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I found out that the lovely Samsung has a "dynamic mode" for their different video modes, and what I didnt realize is that it jacks up the watts to the bulb from 100 to 120, drastically reducing the life of my bulb, so it has gone quiet dim, even if it isnt beyond its life.
Old 01-03-07, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
I have a Sammy 61" & I also have the extended warranty. My bulb actually went about 3 months after getting my TV. They came to my house & replaced it (for free). Lately my TV has been turning off on it's own & showing 3 lights on the button, so we are calling them today to see about a replacement. The repair guy showed me how to change the bulb, but he said I wouldn't need to worry about doing it myself as long as I had the warranty.
Old 01-03-07, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yea, I am not worried about replacing it myself really, I am just curious if they only replace them if they are dead. I got into the service menu of my TV and it said 813 hours, I assume that is a 813 hours left and it was in the red.
Old 01-04-07, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by DVDsAreMyLIFE
Yea, I am not worried about replacing it myself really, I am just curious if they only replace them if they are dead. I got into the service menu of my TV and it said 813 hours, I assume that is a 813 hours left and it was in the red.
813 hours is the amount of time that is on the Bulb ie Bulb Life....I believe that the will replace the bulb if it is a significant dimming OR it is dead, just call Samsung within the 1st year the Samsung Warranty covers the bulb replacement anytime after that you would need an extended Warranty for bulb replacement.

I would recommend heading over to AVS forum to the Samsung thread for settings to help your TV viewing and set the TV to "Movie" with DiNE off. This will help with bulb life, I actually have the TV set to Movie Mode, 42 Contrast, 45 Brightness, 50/50 for Color, 0 for Sharpness, Warm 2,and DiNE off. At 1st it looked a little off BUT now it looks fine to me and the HD comes in very nicely especially at night so far I have not had issues with the "brightness" of the TV and have not had to adjust those settings even during the day (I have a lot of windows around)

As far as the Bulb Replacement goes you can order one off the web for under 300$ and the instructions on how to replace the Bulb are included with the TV.