Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

2 ?s- music downloading and Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 12-22-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured this was the best place to ask these two questions even though one is in reference to a concert DVD.

1) Say I want to legally download songs. Is there any catch with Napster? I don't download often and really want to build a library of older stuff as I don't listen to a lot of new music and have no reason to keep a subscription. I see that Napster has a free 7-day trial. Are there any catches or caveats? I used i-tunes once and didn't know until after I purchased an album I had to burn it to CD then rip it again back onto the computer in order to put the songs on my mp3 player. Can I just use the 7 day trial and download as much as I want and that's it without any catches? I may keep it for the first month just make sure I've gotten everything I want and pay the 1 month's price.

2) There don't seem to be any DVDs of any Trans-Siberian Orchestra concerts or performances. I know there's a box set with a DVD from what I gather it isn't concert material. At least on Amazon and a few other places I looked there's not a good description of the DVD. Is it something anyone has seen on TV? Available somewhere else on DVD? Thanks!
Old 12-22-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
The DVD is like a mini-Christmas movie. Here's a review:

"Trans-Siberian Orchestra. One great band, one amazing concept. This DVD contains music taken from the bands first two
albums. [Christmas Eve and Other Stories & The Christmas Attic.] The DVD contains a nice mix of the bands original
music plus a great little story intertwined to go along with it. The story is that of a run-away girl, played by Allie Sheridan,
who, to escape the cold one night enters an abandoned theatre. Inside she meets The Caretaker, played by Ossie Davis.
While inside he introduces her to an amazing show only the likes of angels [actually the spirits and ghosts of the theatre]
could have performed. The show is that of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. In the act they are joined by Jewel singing "Hark!
The Herald Angels Sing," and by Michael Crawford singing "O Holy Night." The Caretaker uses the imagery of the show
to help the girl to change her life. Such songs as "Good King Joy," "Music Box Blues," "This Christmas Day," and
"Christmas Canon" are performed to wonderful amazement. As well, on some songs the band is joined by a beautiful
children's choir. Hearing them alone will bring a tear to your eye. Some complain about the length of the DVD. Sure, it may
only be 46 minutes long, but it is a 46 minute adventure that is well worth it. The T.S.O. have done an excellent job of
telling a story while showing the kind of music they produce. The tale is heart-warming, the music is emotionally intense
and this is one DVD that is good any time of the year. And the best part is that you can share with others besides the
ghosts on Christmas Eve."
Old 12-22-06, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
I believe the DVD began as a PBS special