Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Jesus Camp'

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-25-06, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Eric D. Snider's DVD review of Jesus Camp at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=24231 and...

If you really are a born again Christian (and the Bible says you must be born again to be a Christian) you would not slate the praise, weeping and speaking in tongues because it is Biblical, read it for yourself! You would also know that we commit sin form the day we are born, so we would need to confess our sins at 9/10 yrs old. It's not copying adults, it's allowing the Holy Spirit to work in you and expressing your love for God!

Pauline Rachael, born again Christian
Old 11-25-06, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Umm...
Old 11-25-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jesus, lady!
Old 11-25-06, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to DVDTALK!
Old 11-25-06, 10:38 AM

Be nice, people.
Old 11-25-06, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by pr_8719
You would also know that we commit sin form the day we are born, so we would need to confess our sins at 9/10 yrs old.
God Damn! That's some heavy shit to put on a kid.
Old 11-25-06, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
If you really are a born again Christian (and the Bible says you must be born again to be a Christian) you would not slate the praise, weeping and speaking in tongues because it is Biblical, read it for yourself!
I highly doubt the way they're speaking in tongues is biblical. The bible is actually pretty clear on when/where/how to do that - if at all.

I thought the review was pretty good. The ony thing I'd add is that the subjects of the film LOVE the finished product. They think it's great!
Old 11-25-06, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Freaked me out when I saw the trailer. Made it seem like the children were being exploited and I hate seeing stuff like that. I seem to recall that there was a thread about the trailer a while ago and most posters felt the same way. Is that the intention of this movie/documentary? Or is it supposed to show the subjects in a positive light?
Old 11-26-06, 12:23 AM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

"Registered User"? Never seen that one on a newbie. And 0 posts in the profile?
Old 11-28-06, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by The Cow

???
Are you there God?..It's me, Troy..

Didn't this place get shut down anyways because of Ted Haggard. When's part 2 coming out?
Old 11-28-06, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Cow

The Lord need not go through standard registration procedures to post at DVDTalk
Old 11-28-06, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
I read Eric D. Snider's DVD review of Jesus Camp at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=24231 and...

If you really are a born again Christian (and the Bible says you must be born again to be a Christian) you would not slate the praise, weeping and speaking in tongues because it is Biblical, read it for yourself! You would also know that we commit sin form the day we are born, so we would need to confess our sins at 9/10 yrs old. It's not copying adults, it's allowing the Holy Spirit to work in you and expressing your love for God!

Childhood is supposed to be fun. Don't make it lame by forcing the kids to speak in tongues.

Draven - DVD Talk Limited Edition
Old 11-28-06, 11:08 AM

Still trying to decide when Jesus Camp hits dvd, if I wanna pair it up as a double feature with a comedy or a horror flick...
Old 11-28-06, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by CinemaNut
Still trying to decide when Jesus Camp hits dvd, if I wanna pair it up as a double feature with a comedy or a horror flick...
Try "Saved" and make it a comedy double feature.
Old 11-28-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Hell, *I* was speaking in tongues and going thru stuff just like this when I was in junior high.

(Of course, by the time I was in high school I was also pouring households acids in my eyes trying to blind myself. Not to mention a couple suicide attempts in my 20s. If any of these kids turn out to be gay they're gonna be seriously fucked up.)
Old 11-28-06, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Old 11-28-06, 02:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by adamblast
Hell, *I* was speaking in tongues and going thru stuff just like this when I was in junior high.

(Of course, by the time I was in high school I was also pouring households acids in my eyes trying to blind myself. Not to mention a couple suicide attempts in my 20s. If any of these kids turn out to be gay they're gonna be seriously fucked up.)
I thought the same thing after seeing the film.
Old 11-28-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by CinemaNut
Pick :

Old 11-28-06, 05:00 PM

Homer Simpson, smiling politely
Old 11-28-06, 09:24 PM

Well this is certainly a shocker.
Old 11-29-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If only poor Pauline knew of the comfort and joy that comes from devoting one's life to Ramtha. I feel so sorry for her that she hasn't discovered the good news. You know, like I have. Because I have seen the light. And the truth. And it lies in the worship of a 30,000 year old deity that predates recorded history. Oh yes... I should also mention that I am the reincarnation of that deity. So, worship me. For I can offer you many things, including the smug assurance that comes from knowing the truth (i.e., me). Just imagine the fun you'll have as you adopt the traditional affect of the beaming, dewy-eyed mystic and profess to all that wonderful self-righteousness that comes from communing with me.

Now, get down on your knees pilgrim and praise me. Feel free to weep, speak in tongues, and injest snake venom, as these actions please me greatly. Now sing a martial hymn to my infinite glory and prepare the way for my kingdom on earth. After which, we will slaughter all the infidels. Because, you know, they really get my dander up.
Old 11-29-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
If only poor Pauline knew of the comfort and joy that comes from devoting one's life to Ramtha. I feel so sorry for her that she hasn't discovered the good news. You know, like I have. Because I have seen the light. And the truth. And it lies in the worship of a 30,000 year old deity that predates recorded history. Oh yes... I should also mention that I am the reincarnation of that deity. So, worship me. For I can offer you many things, including the smug assurance that comes from knowing the truth (i.e., me). Just imagine the fun you'll have as you adopt the traditional affect of the beaming, dewy-eyed mystic and profess to all that wonderful self-righteousness that comes from communing with me.

Now, get down on your knees pilgrim and praise me. Feel free to weep, speak in tongues, and injest snake venom, as these actions please me greatly. Now sing a martial hymn to my infinite glory and prepare the way for my kingdom on earth. After which, we will slaughter all the infidels. Because, you know, they really get my dander up.
Old 12-01-06, 11:11 AM

Nope, Pastafarianism all the way...

I'm in two minds as to whether to see this movie. On one hand, I know it'll be really fascinating to look inside the world of fundamentalists, but then again, I know its gonna upset me something awful. Decisions, decisions.
Old 12-31-06, 04:55 PM

I know the people who are the subject of this film. I can say with certainty that they are great people. The way this film came out was not how they planned. They had no say in the editing process and would have eliminated parts that would obviously be taken wrong. Almost everything is out of context. If you were part of a debate, you would want your full time to say your part, not be cut off before you put something in context. These kids are great kids just living life. Speaking in tongues to them is fun and so is church. I think we'd all agree there is nothing bad about that. None of them are coerced. I know Levi plays sports, has a fantasy football team, and does all sorts of stuff just like a normal boy. He doesn't want to be a preacher either like some media stories claim. He wants to be a doctor. (Some facts are set straight at jesuscampers.com blog) The film is worth watching, but don't be too hard on the subjects. The kids actually have some really good things to say.
Old 12-31-06, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Troi
Speaking in tongues to them is fun and so is church. I think we'd all agree there is nothing bad about that.
Actually, I would disagree pretty strongly.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.