Wii help: Extra controller(s)?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, first off, I am not a Nintendo fan, but on launch day I got my 2 boys a Wii for Christmas. They are NOT opening the box until X-mas day. How does this controller situation work? When I was checking out with the Wii, the had all kinds of accessories, including controllers. If I need an extra controller, do I need to buy the Nunchuk AND the remote looking thing? And what about the classic? Is it the 'standard' controller, or do I need the remote thing for that also? I want to have the right controllers so both kids can play at the same time. Sorry about these questions as they are probably common knowledge to most, but it seems confusing to me.

Thanks,
~S2
Old 11-22-06, 06:40 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd get 1 extra remote and nunchuck so they can play 2 player wii games.

As for the classic controller, it's used for the virtual console downloads. However, all those can be played with the Gamecube controller (if you're kids have one and some controllers around) and some can be played with just the remote, so you may not need it. They're near impossible to find right now as well.
Old 11-22-06, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you need the remote AND the Nunchuck, why are they sold seperately? That's what was messing me up. I also didn't know you could use GC controllers...can you use the controller for any games, or do you have to use the remote/nunchuck?

...man, this is weird. I'm tempted to open it and play around just so I know how to operate things on X-mas morning.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-22-06, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
You don't technically "need" the nunchuk for certain games, but other games require it. For example both your kids could play Wii Sports baseball with just a Remote each, but if they wanted to play boxing, your second kid would be out of luck.

The classic controller is NOT for playing Wii games. That is for playing games for older systems (Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES) on your Wii. If however you don't want to buy the classic controller you can use your old Gamecube controllers for the aforementioned games. The Gamecube controller will also NOT work with Wii games.

Does that clear everything up?
Old 11-22-06, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not all games need both the remote and nunchuck. It's probably a combination of that and not wanting to have a $60 controller on the market why they're sold separate (for the time being at least). GameCube controllers can only be used for GameCube and Virtual Console games so far. It's likely some of the shit American companies dump on every single system like X-Man and Spider-Men games will not bother with any special remote controls and use the Classic/GameCube controller. To prove that point the games that have this option now are Dragon Ball Z and The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. Yay!
Old 11-23-06, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Max needed remotes (my opinion):

4 Wiimotes
2 Nunchucks
1 Classic
4 GC controllers

Recommended amount:
2 Wiimotes
2 Nunchuks
1 Classic
1 GC controller
Old 11-23-06, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
It's likely some of the shit American companies dump on every single system like X-Man and Spider-Men games will not bother with any special remote controls
Riiight. Because Bandai makes awesome classics.
Old 11-23-06, 01:09 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by The Bus
Riiight. Because Bandai makes awesome classics.
Their are some crap Japanese developers out there, but my tastes definitely lean toward Japanese games.

I'd be amazed if I could come up with 10 games I've played from western developers that I'd rate an 8/10 or above.
Old 11-23-06, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OK guys, thanks for clearing all of this up. I'll head out tomorrow and grab an extra Nunchuck & remote. Man, I hope my kids can get used to the Wii controls, they're 4 & 6 years old.

Thanks again,

~S2
Old 11-23-06, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
OK guys, thanks for clearing all of this up. I'll head out tomorrow and grab an extra Nunchuck & remote. Man, I hope my kids can get used to the Wii controls, they're 4 & 6 years old.

Thanks again,

~S2
Just a word of caution: the virtual console remotes are hard to find, the Wiimotes are difficult to find, and the nunchucks are near impossible to find. I was lucky to find them all at a Circuit City yesterday, but the Circuit City just happened to have had a grand opening three days prior, so a lot of people don't know about it yet.
Old 11-23-06, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm not letting them open the Wii until X-mas, so hopefully the remotes are going to become readily available. If all else fails, my neighbor works at Best Buy and I'll have him grab a couple when they get them. I hate to resort to that, but if need be...
Old 11-23-06, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I'm sure you will be able to find one by Christmas.
Old 11-24-06, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm sure there will ample surplies of controllers for xmas as they are easier and quicker to manufacture.

Im still trying to track down a Wi but since its for myself i dont mind waiting till after xmas.
Old 11-24-06, 08:17 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Can someone clarify a few questions for me. I don't have a Wii yet and have been out of the loop on consoles for a while.

Is it better to get the classic controller or a GC controller?

Is the classic controller wireless? Read that it is connected to the Wiimote so it "is" wireless?

Also would the GC Wavebird be compatible with the Wii?

I would think if I'm getting a Wii in the near future, it wouldn't make much sense to still get a wired controller, plus I'm guessing it all plugs in on the back.
Old 11-24-06, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Wavebird is compatible. The only con to that is you always need a second set of batteries where-as the Retro pad plugs into the Wiimote and feeds off those batteries.
Old 11-24-06, 08:38 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Wavebird is compatible. The only con to that is you always need a second set of batteries where-as the Retro pad plugs into the Wiimote and feeds off those batteries.
Thanks, now if I'm going to end up getting GC games, then Wavebird would be the only choice for me, classic controller not compatible with GC games?