Reload this Page >

PS3 or 360 and/or Wii?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS3 or 360 and/or Wii?

Old 10-28-06, 02:09 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PS3 or 360 and/or Wii?

Alright kids, I'm going to get one of the 3 "new" systems...and while I had initially been heavily leaning towards the Wii, I'm being swayed in other directions now. The innovative controls for Wii, along with the price and some "fun" (as opposed to really "serious" type) looking games, are the plusses of that system, but I'm afraid that the novelty of it all might wear off quickly, leaving me with a still cheaper system, but with less quality games and poorer graphics.

I have a couple nice HDTVs, so I could utilize the better graphics of the 360 and the PS3, so aside from the controls of the Wii, my decision basically comes down to price and game choices.

FWIW, I've only had Playstations (1 & 2) for these past couple generations of systems. The only games I've played that were (at least initially) exclusive to these were the GTA games. Aside from those, I play a mix of sports, war, FPS, and general action/adventure games.

Obviously there'd be more choices of games right now if I got a 360. But with a PS3 I'd be able to play all my old games. And then there's the exclusives Wii has (along with all the classics).

I'm pretty much indifferent as far as HD-DVD and BR goes. I guess it'd be nice to have the option, but right now I don't see myself getting HD dvds.

I could maybe be talked into getting both the 360 and Wii, but if I get a PS3 that's it.

So what do you suggest?
Old 10-28-06, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, Xbox 360 probably the best online multiplayer.
Old 10-28-06, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think you should figure a PS3 into the choices. Realistically, you will not be able to get one for the retail price at least until Early/Mid 2007. I would go with a 360 because I have one and it is awesome. Wii is a good bet but like you said the novelty of the controls will wear out quickly but they do have a classic controller you can buy. Considering you have a HDTV and the near-impossible availability of the PS3 I would go with a 360.
Old 10-28-06, 03:10 PM
Suspended

Throw some of the top titles on the 360 out here...other than hearing about Halo for the last 5 years, I really don't know what Xbox-specific games are some of the best.
Old 10-28-06, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by aktick
Throw some of the top titles on the 360 out here...other than hearing about Halo for the last 5 years, I really don't know what Xbox-specific games are some of the best.
Well all but 4 of PS3s launch titles are already available on the 360 if that tells you something.
Old 10-28-06, 04:48 PM
Suspended

I see...I just checked out some of the higher rated games at IGN, looks to be some good ones. Lot's of war-type games, hopefully not too many that things get repetitive?

And GTA4 is apparently being released for 360 the same time as PS3 this time around.

What's with the HD-DVD player addon thing for the 360? Is it available yet? Cost?
Old 10-28-06, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

HD DVD add-on comes with King Kong and releases on 11/7. Currently it's the #2 selling videogame item on Amazon.com.
Old 10-28-06, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by aktick
I see...I just checked out some of the higher rated games at IGN, looks to be some good ones. Lot's of war-type games, hopefully not too many that things get repetitive?

And GTA4 is apparently being released for 360 the same time as PS3 this time around.

What's with the HD-DVD player addon thing for the 360? Is it available yet? Cost?
Check out http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x...60hddvdplayer/

Seems like they're sell it at $200 comparing to $500 HD-DVD player. And it says it releases next month.
Old 10-28-06, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could keep your ps2 assuming you have room, and the 360 would give you the capability of playing some of the old xbox 1 classics that you missed (some aren't supported but a fair few are, Jade Empire, KOTOR, Ninja Gaiden, Halo). Also look over the list of probable PS3 exclusives eg. FFXIII, MGS4, and if you don't feel you need to have those games, then getting the 360 would be an easy choice. GTA4 will be on both.
Old 10-28-06, 08:12 PM

I usually tend to purchase every new game system sooner than later as there is always a title that I want to play.

The Wii is going to continue the Mario/Zelda series which is good enough for me.
Xbox 360 continued the Perfect Dark series to a good, albeit short, game.
The PS3 I view as a natural upgrade. It will play all PS1/PS2 games. Series like SSX, Tony Hawk, Final Fantasy <--More a series for my brother, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid, etc.

Sure it's a lot of money to invest, but I'm a kid in an adult's world (I'm 21 but still )
Old 10-28-06, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_D
MGS4, and if you don't feel you need to have those games,
Metal Gear Solid 4 might not be a Exclusive either.....

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19948
Old 10-28-06, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Well, if you have the cash and can get your hands on one, I would definitely get the PS3, if you truly want a next-gen system. You get blue-ray, HDMI and the games will be there. Launch always sucks for new consoles but you still have some nice choices on the PS3 -- Resistance: Fall of Man, Untold Legends, Call of Duty 3, Oblivion, Genji. As far as online play goes, the 360 may have it right now but you gotta pay for it where as Sony's will be free.

And if you don't have the cash I would go with the Wii.
Old 10-28-06, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like a 360 would be great for you. I second the recommendation of just keeping your PS2.
Old 10-28-06, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am getting the Wii.

For one, I'm interested in the new controls, the games like Zelda, the VC, plus I missed the whole slew of GC games, so I'll be getting them now that they're cheap as well to play on my Wii.
Old 10-28-06, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Wow. time to clear up some misconceptions.

Originally Posted by Setzer
Well, if you have the cash and can get your hands on one, I would definitely get the PS3, if you truly want a next-gen system. You get blue-ray, HDMI and the games will be there.
Sony has definitely hooked somebody on their hype wagon. The games will be there? Which ones? The 16 launch titles that are already on the 360? Some of which are already at bargain prices, or are you banking on a library of games that doesn't exist yet?

You don't get HDMI, you get composite. That is an additional cost up front, even for component. With the PS3 ou're paying up front for Blue-Ray or you could go HD optional down the road on the 360, and use that extra money on games.

Originally Posted by setzer
nice choices on the PS3 -- Resistance: Fall of Man, Untold Legends, Call of Duty 3, Oblivion, Genji.
Like I said above 16 of the launch titles are already on a $200 cheaper system and can be had for less than retail. There are only 5 new/exclusive PS3 titles. COD3 & Oblivion are on the 360 and already have stable online functions and play, which leads to:

As far as online play goes, the 360 may have it right now but you gotta pay for it where as Sony's will be free.
Until they actually show anything Sony's online is nothing more than it was on the PS2. If that is appealing to you, by all means, it is free and there for the taking. Live is a stable network with a host of features that you get for your money. Run into a cheater? Mark him and you will never see the guy again in any game you play. Not to mention the marketplace, arcade and achievements. It is a solid structure and no free service will be able to match it no matter what Sony promises on paper. Sony is good at promising the world, but usually comes up short, I think their online promises will turn out the same.

What it all boils down to is games and what you like, and right now the PS3 isn't where its at. Look at the launch list again, 5 exclusives. This is going to sound harsh, but unless resistence turns out to be the next Halo or GTA you are buying a name for that $600 at launch, nothing more. Blue-Ray being the exception. If that is something you absolutely have to have then it will be worth it.

Even with the steeper than predicted Wii price, I still think the Wii60 combo is a no brainer. You get the Nintendo exclusives, not to mention a "revolutionary" system that is supposedly great fun to play, and you get a system that plays 95% of what PS3 has to offer(right now) and all of those have some sort of online functionality built in. Not to mention a host of games the PS3 doesn't have to offer like Gears of War, Dead Rising, Saints Row, Condemned, Kameo, & Gotham.

It really will be interesting to see how it plays out in store. You have your two game displays in store with virtually identical game libraries. One is $600 for that library and the other $400. What is Joe Public going to do?

Lastly I have to agree with Chris on another count. With the 360 and the Wii you have access to a vast library of games from the previous gen that you otherwise wouldn't have played.
Old 10-29-06, 12:25 AM
Suspended

I'm thinking I'd be best off getting a 360 now, with it's proven capabilities and library already there, and waiting a couple weeks after Wii is out to get some real reviews before deciding on that or not.

PS3 I'll consider down the road if BR becomes a necessity and it has some truely innovative exclusive titles.

The exclusives on Wii are really what I'm most interested in, as far as exclusives for any of these systems are concerned. Zelda, Mario, the classics. So if the Wii itself comes in with good reviews, I'll probably try to snag one before Xmas.
Old 10-29-06, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice, Michael!

Yes, there's big difference between PS3 and 360 are price. However, if you want HD-DVD player, you will ended up paying another $200 to make it $600 system - just like PS3. I will still go for 360 because of Live! and many launch titles.
Old 10-29-06, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Wow. time to clear up some misconceptions.

Sony has definitely hooked somebody on their hype wagon. The games will be there? Which ones? The 16 launch titles that are already on the 360? Some of which are already at bargain prices, or are you banking on a library of games that doesn't exist yet?

You don't get HDMI, you get composite. That is an additional cost up front, even for component. With the PS3 ou're paying up front for Blue-Ray or you could go HD optional down the road on the 360, and use that extra money on games.
Nice job of clearing up.......nothing.

Why don't you tell me all the great launch titles for the 360? Sounds to me like Microsoft had YOU on their "hype wagon". Nice.

With BOTH the 20GB & 60GB systems you get HDMI. Not talking about cables here, buddy. You'll be able to hook up your PS3 to an HDMI input on your HD set, can't do that with the 360. Even with the 360's HD-DVD add-on you still won't get HDMI. Pathetic. So, you could spend $600 and get a 360 w/ HD-DVD and NO HDMI OR you could spend $600 and get Blue-Ray and HDMI. Hmmmmmm, that's a really tough decision. Don't even go down the games route, the 360 has been out a year already but let's look at the PS2 and XBOX -- which console had the largest, best selection of games? The PS2. Sony has excellent 3rd party support, both here and Japan. The 360 is failing in Japan and the support is mediocre at best.

Like I said above 16 of the launch titles are already on a $200 cheaper system and can be had for less than retail.
Like I said before, comparing game selection between a system that's just launching and a system that's been out a year already is ridiculous. So, maybe everyone last year should have bought PS2's instead of 360's because the PS2 has a larger game selection. Please. :rollseyes:

It's $200 cheaper until you shell out the $200 for the HD-DVD add on that doesn't have HDMI support.

Until they actually show anything Sony's online is nothing more than it was on the PS2. If that is appealing to you, by all means, it is free and there for the taking. Live is a stable network with a host of features that you get for your money. Run into a cheater? Mark him and you will never see the guy again in any game you play. Not to mention the marketplace, arcade and achievements. It is a solid structure and no free service will be able to match it no matter what Sony promises on paper. Sony is good at promising the world, but usually comes up short, I think their online promises will turn out the same.
Quick to come to conclusions, aren't we? I want online to play games, so all that other virtual marketplace stuff doesn't concern me. I had no problems with playing PS2 games online and I don't expect any with the PS3. If you want to spend money for online play that's up to you but don't bash Sony's online plans when you haven't even seen it in action yet.

What it all boils down to is games and what you like, and right now the PS3 isn't where its at. Look at the launch list again, 5 exclusives. This is going to sound harsh, but unless resistence turns out to be the next Halo or GTA you are buying a name for that $600 at launch, nothing more. Blue-Ray being the exception. If that is something you absolutely have to have then it will be worth it.
I'm wondering if you were here preaching to everyone last year to buy a PS2 instead of a 360 because of the lack of games on the 360, at launch? All systems ever released have had a limited number of good games at launch. The deal with Sony is, you're getting a console that has tremendous 3rd party support, just look at the PS1 and PS2, and you're getting backwords compatibility for all PS1 and PS2 titles right out of the box.

Even with the steeper than predicted Wii price, I still think the Wii60 combo is a no brainer. You get the Nintendo exclusives, not to mention a "revolutionary" system that is supposedly great fun to play, and you get a system that plays 95% of what PS3 has to offer(right now) and all of those have some sort of online functionality built in. Not to mention a host of games the PS3 doesn't have to offer like Gears of War, Dead Rising, Saints Row, Condemned, Kameo, & Gotham.
Wow, sounds like someone is on the Microsoft/Nintendo bandwagon.

I'm getting a Wii at launch but aside from Zelda and Trauma Center, their launch line-up is horrible but apparently that doesn't seem to affect your decision on buying the system.

It really will be interesting to see how it plays out in store. You have your two game displays in store with virtually identical game libraries. One is $600 for that library and the other $400. What is Joe Public going to do?
And in order to get the 360 close to being on par with the PS3, in terms of hardware, you gotta spend another $200 thus the consumer ends up paying the same amount either way.

Lastly I have to agree with Chris on another count. With the 360 and the Wii you have access to a vast library of games from the previous gen that you otherwise wouldn't have played.
And the PS3/Wii combo would do the exact same thing for you.
Old 10-29-06, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

With BOTH the 20GB & 60GB systems you get HDMI. Not talking about cables here, buddy. You'll be able to hook up your PS3 to an HDMI input on your HD set, can't do that with the 360. Even with the 360's HD-DVD add-on you still won't get HDMI. Pathetic.
So why is HDMI so important to you? VGA supports 1080p just fine and looks great.

So, you could spend $600 and get a 360 w/ HD-DVD and NO HDMI OR you could spend $600 and get Blue-Ray and HDMI.
Or you could just buy the 360 without the HD-DVD add-on.

Hmmmmmm, that's a really tough decision. Don't even go down the games route, the 360 has been out a year already but let's look at the PS2 and XBOX -- which console had the largest, best selection of games?
That was the last gen. Based on your assumption, the N64 should have had the best library of games.

The PS2. Sony has excellent 3rd party support, both here and Japan. The 360 is failing in Japan and the support is mediocre at best.
When it comes down to it, Microsoft has to show it's commitment to Japan to convince Japanese developers to come on board. However, many Japanese developers, are looking at sales in US and Europe, BOTH of which are bigger markets than Japan. If for example you are looking at an install base of 10 million 360s in the US, vs 7 million PS3s (say 5 in US, 2 in Japan), then the decision on which platform to support is not so straight forward as you make out.

Like I said before, comparing game selection between a system that's just launching and a system that's been out a year already is ridiculous. So,
I can't agree with this comment. The actual games on shelves should be the number one concern of anyone buying a new console regardless of their respective launch dates. There's no doubt the 360 will have the better library for at least the next year (2nd gen 360 vs 1st gen PS3 for one thing). And if you are really basing your decision on potential PS3 software 2 years from now, then maybe you should hold onto your $$ for now and not pay the early adoption tax.

maybe everyone last year should have bought PS2's instead of 360's because the PS2 has a larger game selection. Please. :rollseyes:
Yeah, if they didn't already own one then I 100% agree with you .
Old 10-29-06, 05:17 AM
Banned

With BOTH the 20GB & 60GB systems you get HDMI. Not talking about cables here, buddy. You'll be able to hook up your PS3 to an HDMI input on your HD set, can't do that with the 360.
There have been rumors lately that Microsoft is making some kind of adapter that would allow HDMI cables to work on the 360. Anyway, I have never used HDMI, but from everything I have read, the difference between component and HDMI is minimal. It is nowhere near the same difference as going from composite to s-video to component. Only a hardcore videophile will most likely notice much difference between HDMI and component.

So, you could spend $600 and get a 360 w/ HD-DVD and NO HDMI OR you could spend $600 and get Blue-Ray and HDMI. Hmmmmmm, that's a really tough decision.
At least Microsoft isn't forcing HD-DVD down your throat like Sony is with Blu-ray. HD-DVD is completely optional on the 360. What happens if Blu-ray ends up like Betamax or UMD or any of the other countless failed Sony disc formats? You will be stuck with a useless Blu-ray format that people are no longer producing for.

let's look at the PS2 and XBOX -- which console had the largest, best selection of games? The PS2. Sony has excellent 3rd party support, both here and Japan. The 360 is failing in Japan and the support is mediocre at best.
Ever stop to think that maybe the PS2 had better support because they had already proven themselves with the PS1. Many people thought Microsoft could never successfully enter the console market. The original Xbox was a success, and Microsoft has now proven themselves. The 360 is getting better support than the Xbox did because of this.

I want online to play games, so all that other virtual marketplace stuff doesn't concern me. I had no problems with playing PS2 games online and I don't expect any with the PS3. If you want to spend money for online play that's up to you but don't bash Sony's online plans when you haven't even seen it in action yet.
I never play online, but I love using the free Silver service for downloading demos and stuff. There are many many people that are the same way. Having a free online gaming system is bad though. It has been said many times before, but by having online gaming be free, all the little kids and assholes and cheaters can keep creating new free accounts whenever they get banned. A free service will be completely overrun and ruined by these people.
Old 10-29-06, 05:32 AM
Banned

Sony says "Next-gen doesn't start until we say it does."

Setzer says "Get the PS3, if you truly want a next-gen system."

Obi-wan says "Who's the more foolish: the fool or the fool who follows him?"

Old 10-29-06, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[QUOTE=Chris_D]So why is HDMI so important to you? VGA supports 1080p just fine and looks great.

That may be true however there are very few HDTV sets with VGA inputs and even fewer that accept 1080p over VGA.
Old 10-29-06, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Fandango
That may be true however there are very few HDTV sets with VGA inputs and even fewer that accept 1080p over VGA.
Well that goes against what I heard, that says that all HDMI sets include VGA as well, and do accept 1080p on both. Admittedly it was the Major Nelson podcast, but when talking to the 1080p MS guy, he said that most of the 1080p sets they had tested on accepted 1080p via component even when the manual stated otherwise.
Old 10-29-06, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice job of clearing up.......nothing.

Why don't you tell me all the great launch titles for the 360? Sounds to me like Microsoft had YOU on their "hype wagon". Nice.

With BOTH the 20GB & 60GB systems you get HDMI. Not talking about cables here, buddy. You'll be able to hook up your PS3 to an HDMI input on your HD set, can't do that with the 360. Even with the 360's HD-DVD add-on you still won't get HDMI. Pathetic. So, you could spend $600 and get a 360 w/ HD-DVD and NO HDMI OR you could spend $600 and get Blue-Ray and HDMI. Hmmmmmm, that's a really tough decision. Don't even go down the games route, the 360 has been out a year already but let's look at the PS2 and XBOX -- which console had the largest, best selection of games? The PS2. Sony has excellent 3rd party support, both here and Japan. The 360 is failing in Japan and the support is mediocre at best.

Like I said before, comparing game selection between a system that's just launching and a system that's been out a year already is ridiculous. So, maybe everyone last year should have bought PS2's instead of 360's because the PS2 has a larger game selection. Please. :rollseyes:

It's $200 cheaper until you shell out the $200 for the HD-DVD add on that doesn't have HDMI support.

Quick to come to conclusions, aren't we? I want online to play games, so all that other virtual marketplace stuff doesn't concern me. I had no problems with playing PS2 games online and I don't expect any with the PS3. If you want to spend money for online play that's up to you but don't bash Sony's online plans when you haven't even seen it in action yet.

I'm wondering if you were here preaching to everyone last year to buy a PS2 instead of a 360 because of the lack of games on the 360, at launch? All systems ever released have had a limited number of good games at launch. The deal with Sony is, you're getting a console that has tremendous 3rd party support, just look at the PS1 and PS2, and you're getting backwords compatibility for all PS1 and PS2 titles right out of the box.

Wow, sounds like someone is on the Microsoft/Nintendo bandwagon.

I'm getting a Wii at launch but aside from Zelda and Trauma Center, their launch line-up is horrible but apparently that doesn't seem to affect your decision on buying the system.

And in order to get the 360 close to being on par with the PS3, in terms of hardware, you gotta spend another $200 thus the consumer ends up paying the same amount either way.

And the PS3/Wii combo would do the exact same thing for you.

I think a lot of this is irrelevant, based on what aktick actually said he was looking for.

The only games I've played that were (at least initially) exclusive to these were the GTA games. Aside from those, I play a mix of sports, war, FPS, and general action/adventure games.
All those genre's are excellent on 360. The whole Japanese support isn't as big of a deal based on those particular genres. 360 is cheaper. He didn't really care about HD-DVD or Blu-Ray at the moment. GTA will be on 360.
Old 10-29-06, 12:52 PM
Suspended

Think I'll get a 360. Hopefully whatever hardware problems existed before have been fixed. Another bonus is that a lot of the good games are already down to $40 or so. Plus I just gave my Oppo DVD player to my parents for their new HDTV, so I'll need a DVD player. The 360 I'm assuming does a decent job?

I'll see how the Wii is reviewed, and maybe pick one of those up as well.

For only $50 more than the PS3 I'll have 2 systems with tons of different game choices.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.