Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

CSI: First season Disc 1 - why is nobody selling it?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-08-06, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was released last week - disc one of the first CSI season, but how come nobody is selling it? DVD Empire has it but I don't see it on Amazon (very odd) or Best Buy's site either. Ditto for circuitcity.com
Old 10-08-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's in the Circity City ad for 10/15 - 10/21/06 in the Bargains Forum along with one for Frasier and the Brady Bunch.
Old 10-08-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw it at Best Buy.
Old 10-08-06, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is this in widescreen, or is it the same fullscreen transfer?
Old 10-08-06, 04:37 PM

I also saw it at Best Buy on Friday.
Old 10-08-06, 08:56 PM
Banned

I saw it at CC today.
Old 10-08-06, 09:29 PM

FS still.
Old 10-09-06, 03:28 PM
Bye

I bought my CSI at BEST BUY, and it looks like they had the Andy Griffith Show one but were sold out. They told me they weren't carrying the Brady Bunch one and the Frasier one was online only. Guess I'm gonna need to make a trip to CC for "Brady" and "Frasier".
Old 10-09-06, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why are they selling discs single-ey? Not sure if that's even a word.
Old 10-10-06, 12:12 AM
Suspended

Selling the first disc of a show? Sounds pretty stupid. If you want to try out a show before perhaps buying the whole season, go rent it.
Old 10-10-06, 12:33 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Originally Posted by rdf8585
I don't see it on Amazon (very odd)
Here's the link for Amazon.com C.S.I. Crime Scene Investigation - The Premiere Episodes (Season One, Episodes 1-4). They changed the name. Probably why you couldn't find it.
Old 10-10-06, 02:57 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by Son_Of_Zod
Selling the first disc of a show? Sounds pretty stupid. If you want to try out a show before perhaps buying the whole season, go rent it.
Unfortunately, you can't rent every TV show at most video stores. There's always Netflix of course, but really these discs aren't necessarily "try it out" kind of things. Speaking personally, I've seen much more than the first season of "The Andy Griffith Show", and although I do want a few episodes, I don't even want the entire first disc of Season 1. With shows like CSI, Frasier, and The Brady Bunch, I certainly don't want entire seasons, but the first disc gives me enough episodes, but not more than I'll ever watch. I'm a big fan of pilot episodes where the characters are introduced, situations set up and relationships explained, so the first few episodes of a series are more than enough when it's a show I have a passing interest in but not enough to invest $50 in a complete season set.

The "Season 1, Disc 1" thing is very similar to the "best of" releases like the "Television Favorites" series, only it doesn't require any extra work because they just take the first disc from the first season and re-package it. Not ideal of course, but I'll take that over a full season of some shows. Others I'd rather buy complete seasons of, but if I'm that much of a fan, I'll probably buy the single-disc release as well just as a collectible.

To each his own, though, and it does suck when single-disc releases are put out instead of full seasons, but in these cases it's just the first disc of already-existing season sets. I apologize in advance if my purchase of the single-disc "Frasier" release helps prevent further full seasons from being released.

Last edited by Mike Adams; 10-10-06 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-10-06, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank god for my local library, I can check out the entire sets of most of these TV shows for free.

As for the sampler of the first discs of the first seasons, I don't mind them selling it if to entice customers to buy the entire set (as long as they include a coupon that rebates the cost of double dipping the first disc). Though I can see this practice backfiring on serialized shows where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
Old 10-11-06, 03:07 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by Simpson Purist
...I can see this practice backfiring on serialized shows where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
Well, when the "24 Sampler DVD" came out with just the first two episodes, it definitely fit that description. I suppose it was meant to lure people into buying full season sets, and I do seem to recall a coupon for a discount on the first season that was equal to the cost of the sampler disc.

For me though, it was just a cheap way to find out that even though I'm a fan of Keifer Sutherland, I have no interest whatsoever in 24. I realize that "real time" is the point of the show, and it'd be pretty boring with just Jack all the time, but I personally don't give a crap about what his wife and daughter are doing, regardless of how it ties in to the overall plot.

Just my opinion, though -- the show has a huge fan base, and I'm just not an avid TV watcher, so there you go.