View Single Post
Old 10-02-06, 10:18 AM   #97
Jediturtle

OK guys, due to all of the controversy, and good arguments made on both sides of certain issues, I've decided to do a little house-cleaning on my list of things counted so far. As this thread is meant to keep our lists, I'll post my specifics over in the other thread if anyone cares.

Even with all the controversy, I'm still having lots of fun with this. I appreciate the original poster coming up with and implimenting this. Let's remember to have fun guys.

I know I won't be in the running, but I'm in for the fun of it. Cool idea.

October 1:
1) Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) - Ultimate Edition DVD *****
Only my 2nd time seeing this. Amazing, scary, gritty...a benchmark. The very definition of horror movie. Excellent.

October 2:
2) The Haunting (1963) - DVD ****
Such a great, creepy movie. Proves that in some cases, less is more. Scares the crap out of you without really showing you much of anything. Funny how this and the remake are pretty much polar opposites in this regard. Unlike most people, I enjoy the remake too, but this one takes the cake. I love the bulging door scene...great stuff.

October 3:
Nothing

October 4:
3) Red Dragon (with Commentary) (2002) - DVD ****
Just watched this last month, so I don't feel bad about counting the commentary. To me this one got a bad rep, and I find it very entertaining. No, it doesn't hang with Silence, but it is a worthy entry in the trilogy and is slightly better than Hannibal to me. I also like it slightly better than Manhunter, which I know is blasphemy to most. Can't get enough of that flaming wheelchair!

4) Silence of the Lambs (with Commentary) (1991) - Criterion DVD *****
Again, I watched this sans commentary last month, so I don't feel bad about counting it with. This is the top of the heap in the crime drama/thriller catagory to me. One of the best movies ever made, and the benchmark for an entire genre. The commentary track is also awesome, and includes a real FBI agent who consulted for the film. The insight that he adds into real world serial killers reminds us that this type of thing isn't always fiction..and that's far scarier than any movie.

October 5:
5) Nightmares (1983) - HD on DVR *** (new to me)
Now this is some great 80's cheesiness! It's a four segment anthology. The first focuses on a woman who just has to go out to get cigarettes in the middle of the night, in a town where a killer is known to be on the loose. The fun that ensues is a retread of an urban legend seen in a few different movies and shows, but never the less it's fun to watch. The second is terribly cheesy fun about a kid who gets obsessed with an arcade game and gets a little too "sucked into" it! Anyone who grew up in the 80s will get a kick out of this one. The third, and probably best and most serious segment, focuses on a priest (Lance Henriksen...and his name is Frank...just like one of my favorite TV series, Millennium!) who has lost his faith and decides to leave his parish. Like usual, God works in mysterious ways to convince him to stay. Definitely reminiscent of the movie Duel, this segment was by far my favorite. The fourth chapter unfortunately ends the movie on a weak note with a story about a family dealing with a rat problem in their house that ends up being a little bigger than they thought. This one kind of sucked. Overall the whole anthology is pretty cheesy, but good fun.

October 6:
6) Hannibal (with Commentary) (2001) - DVD ****
Rounding out the trilogy, Hannibal to me is the weakest entry, but still very enjoyable. Lots of our favorite psychopath in this one and some great one-liners. The commentary was quite interesting to hear Mr Scott's perspective and how and why he did what he did in the movie. Good stuff.

7) Cube (with Commentary) (1997) - DVD ****
Another that we watched just a few weeks ago, this one for the first time. Absolutely brillant "simple" movie. Amazing what they could do with their shoe-string budget. If you haven't seen this one, you really should. Great characters, great set, amazing amounts of tension. Commentary was awesome. I really loved listening to the director talk about the hardships and challenges of making his first movie. Highly recommended watching.

October 7:
8) Murders in the Rue Morgue (1932) - DVR *** (new to me)
There is just something about these old classics that makes me wish for a time machine. I would love to see what it was like to see some of these movies for the first time when they were brand new, and movies (with sound no less!) were still so new and "magical". This was a lot of fun, with some great scenes. I loved the cinematography...especially during the carnival. Pretty cheesy story, but wonderful experience none the less. And there is just plain something spooky about Bela Lugosi. Can't wait to see more of these classics!

October 8:
None: Spent the day at Six Flags Great America's Fright Fest. Lots of fun as always, and I briefly considered counting the Marvin the Martian 3D movie in the list...but figured we have enough controversy already! ~

October 9:
Another none. Damn.

October 10:
9) The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) - DVD *** (new to me)
Picked up one of those cheap public domain DVD collections as it included this, Nosferatu, and a few others I haven't seen. Can't beat 10 movies for $16. I figure I can always upgrade to better DVDs if I fall in love with them. It is my understanding that Caligari is considered the first horror movie ever made, so I had to finally check it out. I'm pretty sure this is the first silent movie I've ever watched. I enjoyed this quite a bit. The set pieces were fun, and the costumes and make-up were actually quite scary. Loved the actor that played Caligari...that guy was downright creepy. Good stuff. I'm glad we're finally seeing some of these classics...good to expand the old horizons.

October 11:
10) Zombie (AKA Zombi 2) (1979) - Blue Underground DVD **1/2 (new to me)
Finally saw this one for the first time last night. I hate to say it, but I was a little disappointed. I think maybe I had my expectations a little too high. It did have some awesome gore scenes, but I really didn't care at all about the characters or the story between the kill scenes. I know that's not what you watch these movies for, but it just seemed too drawn out. Any scenes with zombies in it were cool though. That whole eye splinter scene was even crazier than I was expecting!

October 12:
11) Memento Mori (1999) - DVR *** (new to me)
Another first. Didn't care for this one as much as I was hoping. For me the first half up until the death really dragged, and I also found the timeline confusing. It was hard to follow what was "now" and what was flashback at times. The second half was much better, once the creepy stuff started happening. Definately not my favorite Asian horror, but well worth checking out. Will probably make more sense on a second viewing.

October 13:
12) Friday the 13th (1980) - UE Collection DVD ***1/2
Not much needs to be said about this one. What else would be proper to watch on a Friday the 13th in October?! The original classic. Not as fast moving or "fun" as most of the sequels, but probably the "scariest". Good stuff, even if it isn't my favorite in the series (BLASPHEMY!).

13) Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981) - UE Collection DVD ****
Yup..I like this one a bit better than the original...sue me. The first one may be the overall better film, but I find this one more enjoyable to watch. I just love the wheelchair going down that huge flight of stairs!

14) Friday the 13th Part 3 (1982) - UE Collection DVD ***
One of the weaker in the series, but still good fun. The cheese is on thick in this one, and it's definately not trying to be taken seriously. Originally filmed to be shown in 3D, you can definately pick out where the big 3D "gags" were. That just adds to the charm of this movie that you just have to laugh at. It may be dumb, but I still love it. You gotta love Shelly vs Ali, Loco, and Foxy! LOL!

October 14th/October 15th:
Nothing...way to busy of a weekend. At least the Spooky Town halloween village is done!

October 16th:
15) Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984) - UE Collection DVD ***1/2
To me, this is one of the better sequels. Lots of fun and you gotta love Crispin Glover's crazy dance scene! Jason's head sliding down the machete is still great!

October 17th:
Another big fat nothing. Had to catch up on a few Law & Order:CIs.

October 18th:
16) Hellraiser (1987) - DVD **** (new to me)
Wow...I can't believe I have never seen any of these. This was way different than I was expecting, and blew me away! Some truly nasty gore. Can't wait to see a few more of these. Great stuff!

October 19th-20th:
Nadda. Depressing.

October 21st:
17) Session 9 (with commentary) (2001) - DVD ****
Another commentary revisit of a movie we saw for the first time a month or so ago. This is such a creepy, under-rated movie. Good commentary too...I love the fact that they actually shot the whole movie in that creepy-ass place. If you haven't seen this one yet, it's highly recommended!

18) The Hills Have Eyes (with commentary) (1977) - DVD ***
Brutal and sometimes uncomfortable to watch, yet still enjoyable (unlike Last House for me...that one isn't fun at all). Great commentary hearing about the harsh conditions and shoe-string budget. I always love hearing how they pulled it all together.

October 22nd:
19) Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988) - DVD ***1/2 (new to me)
Still can't believe I haven't seen any of these movies before. Great stuff, but not quite as good as the first. Still a very worthy sequel and lots of fun. The atmosphere created in these movies is so unique and truly scary. Parts of these movies really do seem like watching a nightmare or seeing into hell rather than watching a movie (only other time I experienced this was Suspiria and it's nightmare-ish feel). Great stuff.

20) The Machinist (2004) - DVD **** (new to me)
I loved this movie. Some may argue if this should count as a horror movie, but I place this firmly in my psychological thriller section, which I consider a subset of horror. Good twist at the end, but that's not what made the movie for me. I loved everything about this movie. Between this and Session 9...I can't wait to see what Brad Anderson does next!

October 23rd-24th:
More nothings. Going to have to push it to hit my goal of 31 now!

October 25th:
21) Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (2005) - DVD **** (new to me)
Beautiful, touching, and surprisingly funny, with some good brutality thrown in. This is one hell of a movie. The timeline jumps around quite a bit, and I found myself lost from time to time, but that usually happens with Asian movies with me. Still, this is great stuff, and highly recommended, much like the other two in the "trilogy", Oldboy and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance.

October 26th:
Yet another halloween party at our house, causing a lack of movies. Oh well...should be able to get quite a few in over the weekend. Still hopeing for 31.

October 27th:
22) A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - Infinifilm DVD *****
Oh...my...God. I can't believe what they were able to do to the video and audio on this beautiful DVD! If forced to pick an all time favorite horror movie, this would probably be it. I've loved it since I was a kid, and have seen it probably hundreds of times. This DVD was honestly like seeing it again for the first time. Can't wait to dive into the extras.

October 28th:
23) Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992) - DVD ***1/2 (new to me)
Said it before and I'll say it again...where have I been to have never seen any of the Hellraiser movies? Another great entry to the series! Huge bonus that it stars Terry Farrell, who I've had a huge crush on since Deep Space 9 first started! I miss the spots though...

24) Hellraiser: Bloodline (1996) - DVD **1/2 (new to me)
Meh. Not bad, but definately not as good as the first three. Interesting to see the origins of the box, and how it all got started though. I'd like to punch whoever decided to wuss out on Pinhead's make-up. What were they thinking?!

October 29th:
25) Nosferatu (1922) - DVD ***1/2 (new to me)
Way too good of a movie for the ultra crappy public domain collection DVD that I watched it on. Very bad score and the titles even had the original novel names (Count Dracula instead of Orlok, etc) instead of what they should have been. Definately need to hunt down a better version of this one. Even with the horrible score on this disk, I can see why this movie is considered one of the best. Very eerie in places. I am still amazed at what they could do in the 20s!

26) Dementia 13 (1963) - DVD *** (new to me)
Very cool flick from the same crappy DVD collection I got Nosferatu and Dr Caligari in. Even this early in his career, you could tell that Coppola was destined for greatness. Not at all what we were expecting, my wife and I both enjoyed this quite a bit. Some very cool and creepy settings in this one. Was very surprised to see a head roll! Great stuff!

October 30th:
27) Night of the Living Dead (1968) - Millennium Edition DVD ****1/2
Whew...was afraid I wouldn't be able to get any of Romero's unholy quadrilogy in before the end of the month. I know...no priorities. I don't need to say much here...if you haven't seen it, you are missing out on an all time classic. And for anyone who complains about zombies getting too smart in Land of the Dead, I'd like to remind them that they were pretty darn crafty already back in Night, using tools and such. Know your roots.

28) It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966) - DVD *****
Lots of controversy surrounding this one on the lists, but I've decided to count it as it is specifically in the official rules. Besides, this really is essential viewing this time of year, horror movie or not. A good reminder that this is about having fun celebrating our favorite time of the year!

October 31st:
29) Suspiria (1977) - Limited Edition DVD *****
Honestly didn't think I'd be able to slide in any Argento goodness this late in the month, but I pulled it off. This is just an amazing movie all around. So much beauty and brutality mixed with the best score ever recorded. Only my second time seeing this, but already one of my all time favorite movies. Great stuff.

30) Halloween (1978) - DVD *****
THE movie to watch on this night. This is the one all slashers want to be when they grow up. I wonder if John Carpenter knew what he was creating at the time. All time classic.

31) Halloween II (1981) - DVD ****
A sequel that almost lives up to the original. I love that it is a direct continuation...no break in between the stories. Almost makes it like one long movie, which is nice. A worthy follow-up.

Yea! I made it to 31!! Goal met! Thoughts to follow in the main thread.

Last edited by Jediturtle; 11-01-06 at 02:00 PM.