Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Wii Calculator: See exactly what it's going to run you (for the lazy)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 09-22-06, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

See what the Wii is going to run you with all your options except for Component cables since no one has a clue what's going on with them.

Wii Calculator

$413.66 for me before Component cables, which includes an extra Wiimote, Zelda & Rayman.

*edit - new rule ~ Check your price bitching at the door.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 09-22-06 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-22-06, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't understand why people are giving Nintendo such a hard time about the price. I paid 399 for my 360, bought two games for 50 each, and bought an extra controller for 50 bucks, and bought a live subscription for 70 bucks. Thats way more than a Wii. People are acting like Sony and MS are giving you all the games and accesories for free. Makes no sense to me.

Oh, forgot to add my total:

314.98 (Wii + Zelda + Sales Tax in MA)

Last edited by huh?; 09-22-06 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-22-06, 09:03 AM

TOTAL
$629.88

maybe i should make my friends buy their own remotes..
Old 09-22-06, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$378.84 - For the Wii plus Zelda and Rayman.
Old 09-22-06, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by huh?
I don't understand why people are giving Nintendo such a hard time about the price. I paid 399 for my 360, bought two games for 50 each, and bought an extra controller for 50 bucks, and bought a live subscription for 70 bucks. Thats way more than a Wii. People are acting like Sony and MS are giving you all the games and accesories for free. Makes no sense to me.
Well you are certainly living up to your name. Huh? Who's bitching about price in here?
Old 09-22-06, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

$379 with extra controller, nunchuck, and Zelda.
Old 09-22-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
except for Component cables since no one has a clue what's going on with them.
Man, I really hope the GameCube's component cables work with the Wii. Nintendo's had a really good track record with keeping the outputs the same from console-to-console, so I hope it continues this generation--but the way they handled the component situation with the GameCube sucked, so who knows if it'll carry over.

I can't believe it's this late in the game, and still nobody knows how it's gonna work.
Old 09-22-06, 09:52 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Around $469 + tax for me but may go up, haha. Have to see how my interest holds.

Console + 2 extra controller + 2 nunchuck + 2 games
Old 09-22-06, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MWB
I can't believe it's this late in the game, and still nobody knows how it's gonna work.
We DO know how it'll work (mostly).. just not how much the Nintendo ones will be and if you can buy it in a store. It's been confirmed third party cables are coming *shudder* but I'd suggest staying away from those.

The Cube cables won't work.. it seems like they'll be a new component cable that will fit into the (hopefully) standard Nintendo Multi-AV port. The reason the Cube cables were such a problem is that the cables themselves held the video hardware to display 480p. That's why there were never third party cables and why they were so expensive (compared to other cables). That hardware is now in the Wii system itself, so all it's going to take now is a standard set of component cables. The only real question is whether the port is new or not (for those who have SNES/N64/Cube S-Video cables, like Josh and myself).
Old 09-22-06, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
It is confirmed that the Wii will need all new cables.

If I get one it will be without a launch title since none of them that I would want are worth $50. I can probably get out the door with a console, wimote (I'll wait on the nunchuk) and maybe a VC controller since that is probably all the games I would want for it for awhile. So maybe $335, plus component cable.
Old 09-22-06, 10:26 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
he only real question is whether the port is new or not (for those who have SNES/N64/Cube S-Video cables, like Josh and myself).
They won't work. From the pics of the back of the unit, there is not notch int he a/v port, like there is with the SNES/N64/Cube plug and cable. See my post in the other Wii thread for a link to the pic and discussion.

As for the price---$314.98 for the wii and zelda....plus whatever I have to pay for an S-video cable.

None of the other launch games look remotely worth $50 to me, some I may pick up when they drop to 20. And I'm not shelling out $60 for a 2nd controller at launch.
Old 09-22-06, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
We DO know how it'll work (mostly).. just not how much the Nintendo ones will be and if you can buy it in a store. It's been confirmed third party cables are coming *shudder* but I'd suggest staying away from those.

The Cube cables won't work.. it seems like they'll be a new component cable that will fit into the (hopefully) standard Nintendo Multi-AV port. The reason the Cube cables were such a problem is that the cables themselves held the video hardware to display 480p. That's why there were never third party cables and why they were so expensive (compared to other cables). That hardware is now in the Wii system itself, so all it's going to take now is a standard set of component cables. The only real question is whether the port is new or not (for those who have SNES/N64/Cube S-Video cables, like Josh and myself).
Interesting. Thanks for the reply.

So if it's the same multi-out that's been used since the SNES, everybody who's using composite/S-video is already good to go, and the people who'll be using component will have to get new component cables with the standard multi-out plug. Not trying to be repetitive, just making sure I'm understanding correctly.

And if you're planning on replacing your GameCube with the Wii (since the Wii will apparently do everything the 'Cube did except for the Game Boy Player), now would be a good opportunity to sell your component-enabled 'Cube and component cables, correct?
Old 09-22-06, 10:41 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by MWB
So if it's the same multi-out that's been used since the SNES, everybody who's using composite/S-video is already good to go, and the people who'll be using component will have to get new component cables with the standard multi-out plug. Not trying to be repetitive, just making sure I'm understanding correctly.
It is NOT the same multi-out unfortunately. So the composite and S-video cables for the GC/SNES/N64 will NOT work.

So unfortunately everyone that needs S-video will have to buy a new cable.
Old 09-22-06, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
It is NOT the same multi-out unfortunately. So the composite and S-video cables for the GC/SNES/N64 will NOT work.

So unfortunately everyone that needs S-video will have to buy a new cable.
Yeah, just read through the official Wii thread, which I haven't been keeping up with. How unfortunate that they're going with a new port--and I'm definitely not looking forward to buying another set of component cables. Oh well--thanks for the clarification.

And sorry to hijack the thread! To get back on-topic: $397.05 before the component cables. Man alive! Good thing I've got a birthday just a few days before the launch. . .
Old 09-22-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by MWB
I'm definitely not looking forward to buying another set of component cables. Oh well--thanks for the clarification.
Sell your first set MWB. As I posted in another thread, within two hours of putting them on ebay, someone bought mine for $60.

Unless you have multiple HDTVs, the Wii will play your GC games so there is no need for the GC cables anymore.
Old 09-22-06, 11:10 AM

$638.90

yikes... may have to cut back on some of the games
Old 09-22-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My only worry about selling my Cube and cables is this thing turning out to not be 100% backwards compatible. I kind of like having the GBA player as well.
Old 09-22-06, 11:29 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by darkside
My only worry about selling my Cube and cables is this thing turning out to not be 100% backwards compatible. I kind of like having the GBA player as well.
The first is somewhat of a concern for me. I have a GBA player, but haven't used it since I bought a DS a couple years ago.
Old 09-22-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

$399.95 for:

- Wii Console w/ Pack-ins (no sales tax, no shipping)
- A 2nd full (nunchuck + wand) controller
- Classic Controller
- Zelda
- 2000 Points
Old 09-22-06, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by lordwow
$399.95 for:

- Wii Console w/ Pack-ins (no sales tax, no shipping)
- A 2nd full (nunchuck + wand) controller
- Classic Controller
- Zelda
- 2000 Points
This is the setup I'm interested in too... although I don't know if I'll be getting a second nunchuck right away (unless of course they sell it with a wiimote for cheaper than 60).
Old 09-22-06, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

$398.95 for Wii, extra wii nunchuch, extra wii remote, retro controller, zelda, and Massachusetts sales tax.

I guess I havent paid enough attention to the other Wii threads because I dont know what the points are.
Old 09-22-06, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by chrisih8u

I guess I havent paid enough attention to the other Wii threads because I dont know what the points are.
Same thing as MS marketplace points. They will be used to purchase VC games/content.
Old 09-22-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dont know what MS marketplace points are, either. So I buy these points at a store and then enter a number or something and download a game?
Old 09-22-06, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just think of them as money to buy the Virtual Console games.

I think for the Wii you can just use a credit card as well.
Old 09-22-06, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisih8u
I dont know what MS marketplace points are, either. So I buy these points at a store and then enter a number or something and download a game?
I'm guessing that you'll get free points for buying/register games and possibly hardware, but nothing has been announced yet. It wouldn't surprise me if you get a number of free points when you buy the system.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.