TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Justice 9/13/06

Old 09-13-06, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Justice 9/13/06

I'm starting to like the backbone that Tom displays when shooting down Ron's ideas. This show is so slick, maybe too slick, but the hour goes by pretty fast, and the "reveal" made you go "Hmmm...."
Old 09-13-06, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting to get a little stale.
Old 09-13-06, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I really want to like this show because it is fast paced and who doesn't love Jackie Jack Brisco. However, I'm already getting tired of the prosecution being portrayed as a bunch of boobs. It's also hard buying Tom as a high profile lawyer when he looks like he's about 15 years old. The shaky camera work is a bit much and what's with their law offices-it looks like the War Room at the Pentagon. It would also be nice to hear the DA raise an objection every now and then.

I'll watch it for a few more weeks based on the strength of my fondness of Victor Garber.
Old 09-13-06, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperBatMan
I agree. Maybe it's the lawyer in me, but honestly, there's no reason to explain every thing (usually to death).

And also, I loved when Emmon said "I brought a Motion in Limine to introduce the audio evidence". That's funny, because an in Limine motion is brought to EXCLUDE certain evidence. So he brought a motion to exclude to introduce evidence. Nice consultants that show has.
Old 09-14-06, 01:00 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
This one kind of bored me. I don't know if it is stale or the case wasn't that interesting.

It'll be interesting to see how it fares next week with competition from CBS, NBC, and CW.
Old 09-14-06, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

not a bad ep.. I like the rapid fire mode of the show.. plus the line about -Nice girlfriend. You're going to lose her if you keep blubbering like that so man up- as a pep talk was classic.

the only down side is in a way it feels like I just watch the same basic show 3 times in a row. I get that the hook of the show is just a focus on the case but at some point it's just the same thing.. Jury test shows they don't like who ever, talk to the expert.. I really like the cast so I'll keep watching but I wonder how long they can keep this format?

oh as a side note I thought the cgi transition of the jury member walking out of an LA court, then morphing into an orange county jury member walking into court to show how they differ was really smooth.. Good use of cgi for a transition IMO
Old 09-14-06, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrX
This one kind of bored me. I don't know if it is stale or the case wasn't that interesting.
I agree. I'm leaning towards boring case because I mostly like the format of the show. I'd still rank this show ahead of Standoff, but it's a little closer now.
Old 09-14-06, 03:52 AM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts
I'm interested in seeing some episodes where the defendant is the murderer or found guilty. So far they're all innocent and all not guilty. It doesn't seem realistic.

One aspect that made The Practice great, was that so many of the clients were guilty (not innocent), and the lawyers usually knew it, yet they would still fight hard to get them off.
Old 09-14-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still like it... loved the LA versus the OC thing...very funny (and GENIUS how the LA guy had a "Chris Rock" cd, the OC guy had a "Jeff Foxworthy" dvd!!!!). The cast and the humour are still enough for me to tune in again. Sure it could get old fast and the actual case is the LEAST intriguing part of the show, but for now, I'm sticking with it. I think that Fox should wise up, axe Standoff and move this over with House but what do I know.

MATT
Old 09-14-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hated the fact that they had to keep refering it as Orange County. I didn't want them to call it the OC, but the fact that they had to keep harping on the difference was overdone. The difference in areas of LA (la santamonica malibu hollywood orange county inglewood sandiego wherever you want to end it) would only be meaningful to people who've experienced it first hand.
Old 09-14-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Daniel-A
The difference in areas of LA (la santamonica malibu hollywood orange county inglewood sandiego wherever you want to end it) would only be meaningful to people who've experienced it first hand.

I kind of wondered about that too. I'm on the east coast and have never been to Cali so I just assumed everyone was similar. Are people in OC really Foxworthy listening people?
Old 09-15-06, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing I like about this show is it shows you different aspects you don't usually see in most legal shows.

I thought it was really interesting how the defense fought to be present at the autopsy and make sure no key evidence was ignored.

The actress who played the bartender's girlfriend was laughingly bad.
Old 09-15-06, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 601 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by kantonburg
I kind of wondered about that too. I'm on the east coast and have never been to Cali so I just assumed everyone was similar. Are people in OC really Foxworthy listening people?

I believe the OC is rather conservative; maybe not Foxworthy conservative, but conservative in voting patterns.

I thought the comparison part was pretty cool, and particularly meaningful for those who weren't aware of the differences between LA and OC. Venue is an important aspect of criminal procedure.
Old 09-15-06, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I thought the comparison part was pretty cool, and particularly meaningful for those who weren't aware of the differences between LA and OC. Venue is an important aspect of criminal procedure.
Probably because you've seen them first hand? I agree that venue is important but what I'm saying is that to the majority of the audience who watched/will watch the show/episode the importance of venue will coast by them. Because they won't recognize a difference between LA and Orange County. The people watching the OC don't recognize a difference between Newport and LA, neither will the people watching this.
Old 09-15-06, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 601 Likes on 486 Posts
What I'm saying it was helpful to those who weren't previously aware of the differences of LA and OC. Most people probably think California is pretty homogenous (see the poster above). Like practically all states, there are sharp political differences within.

The difference between LA and OC on The O.C. is irrelavent. On a show based on the law, it is certainly relavent. Ever see the L&O/Homicide crossover where the guy is tried in Westchester Co. instead of Manhattan? They went through the differences in demographics precisely because it is relevant and because many would probably think Manhattan and a NYC suburb are pretty much homogenous, when they are not.

Hell I've never been to L.A. I have been in OC. I just happen to know there are differences.

When they reference Chino on the The O.C., do you think that makes a difference? Most The O.C. viewers probably had no clue what Chino was like (and what made it different than Newport) coming into that show. It obviously was relevant to the story, don't you think.
Old 09-15-06, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't disagree with your premise. Just that jarping on it in the episode seems useless as the common viewer won't think of LA and Orange County as different places.

And I'm not among the people who don't understand the difference. I've lived in both LA and Orange County and there are pretty massive differences.

Bringing up the OC was dumb, didn't think it would get any focus.
Old 09-16-06, 07:24 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Good episode, good cast, i hope they have some twists and turns for us along the way.

Im staying with it
Old 09-16-06, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperBatMan
Ditto - I'm not inclined to watch it anymore. I think it's a little too slick for it's own good. They are trying too hard to be "over the top". The best thing about the show is the reveal at the end. That's a really good gimmick. Of course, it's only meaningful if you watch the whole show. I guess I'll wait and see if there is anything good on at the same time.