Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

HISTORY OF THE WORLD, PART 1 & YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN: Sept. 5 or Not?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 08-28-06, 09:20 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, now that speedy1961 has posted the Best Buy, Circuit City and Target ads for Sept. 5 (in the Bargains forum), with no reference to the DVDs in this thread's title, the question is simple--are HISTORY OF THE WORLD, PART 1 (16:9 Enhanced Widescreen) and YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN (16:9 Enhanced Widescreen) actually coming out next week, or has it all just been a cruel lie?
Old 08-28-06, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you check Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

Robin Hood: Men in Tights too:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd
Old 08-28-06, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Young Frankenstein (the other 2 also for that matter) doesn't state anamorphic ws in any of those listings. It'd be just my luck to order from them & get one of the old Young Frankensteins like so many people got in their Mel Brooks' box sets. I think I'll wait & hope Wal Mart, Target, CC, K Mart or somebody actually gets them in so I'll know that I'm getting the right one.
Old 08-28-06, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just because they aren't advertised don't mean shit. Catalog titles get a small percentage of the ad space, and usually get ignored for the most part.
Did you even think to check Best Buy's or Circuit City's website? They are still listed there too.

It might be possible to still get an older non-anamorphic copy of YF, but we should all be safe on pretty much everything else since there were not other versions of these in the marketplace already, some of these being released for the first time on dvd. These will be the same versions as in the boxset.
Old 08-29-06, 06:49 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by basaro
Did you even think to check Best Buy's or Circuit City's website? They are still listed there too.
Boy, there's just always gotta be somebody with a pissy, holier-than-thou attitude when you ask a simple question; yes, I checked, Mr. Charming, but when there are signs both ways, you seek a little clarity from people who might have actually seen physical copies early.
Old 08-29-06, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 406 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Okay, now that speedy1961 has posted the Best Buy, Circuit City and Target ads for Sept. 5 (in the Bargains forum), with no reference to the DVDs in this thread's title, the question is simple--are HISTORY OF THE WORLD, PART 1 (16:9 Enhanced Widescreen) and YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN (16:9 Enhanced Widescreen) actually coming out next week, or has it all just been a cruel lie?
I am an electronics manager at a kmart right now, and we just got in a huge box of $9.99 dvds from fox that are supposed to be released the 5th, I saw a bunch of Mel brooks dvds in there, such as Robin Hood Men in Tights, I will check to see if those dvds are included.
Old 08-29-06, 05:01 PM

Probably already been answered in another thread, but how can you tell the difference in the versions for Young Frankenstein? Is there a difference in the case, etc...? I want to make sure I pickup the anamorphic one on the 5th.
Old 08-29-06, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DarthPrime
Probably already been answered in another thread, but how can you tell the difference in the versions for Young Frankenstein? Is there a difference in the case, etc...? I want to make sure I pickup the anamorphic one on the 5th.
I haven't seen any but one way to know the new one is by its UPC code. The UPC # for the new one is 024543371571. The one I have now (that I'll be giving away to somebody as a gift probably) has 024543027089. The boxes look very similar from the pics on some online websites like Amazon.
Old 08-30-06, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 406 Likes on 294 Posts
I can confirm these titles are coming out next tuesday I found them in the box set to be released for the 5th at my job, and yes they are both anamorphic.
Old 08-31-06, 10:01 AM
Banned

Bluelitespecial, thanks!
Old 08-31-06, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Appreciate the confirmation Bluelitespecial. Looks like I'll be upgrading on Young Frankenstein.
Old 09-05-06, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts
So is Young Frankenstein available as a seperate title today? I am having trouble finding it online, but may make a rare B&M appearance if it is actually out there.
Old 09-05-06, 12:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
So is Young Frankenstein available as a seperate title today? I am having trouble finding it online, but may make a rare B&M appearance if it is actually out there.
I ordered mine from DVDPacific.com.
Old 09-05-06, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amazon has it in stock. Look for the one released on Sep 5th. I ordered History of the World, High Anxiety, and Robin Hood and they are all under 10 bucks.
Old 09-05-06, 01:15 PM

It's been confirmed that the new release of YF is anamorphic.

Old 09-05-06, 03:11 PM

Boy, there's just always gotta be somebody with a pissy, holier-than-thou attitude when you ask a simple question; yes, I checked, Mr. Charming, but when there are signs both ways, you seek a little clarity from people who might have actually seen physical copies early.
I'm pissy because you cannot figure out your own research? And you attack me, but not Snowmaker who basically posted the same advice a few posts before me.
Old 09-05-06, 05:02 PM

Everybody settle down...
Old 09-05-06, 06:01 PM
Banned

I'm pissy because you cannot figure out your own research? And you attack me, but not Snowmaker who basically posted the same advice a few posts before me.
Snowmaker wasn't nearly as hostile as you. How about this--if I, or anyone else, fails to meet your standard of self-research, how about not assisting us at all? We'll appreciate not dealing with your condescending attitude, I promise.
Old 09-05-06, 10:43 PM

Thanks to Bluelitespecial!
I went to 2 K-Marts today -- one store only had the old non anamorphic version.
The second had the new disc for $9.99 and it specifically states on the back of the case "Widescreen Anamorphic 1:85:1"

If it doesn't have the word "Anamorphic" on the back, it's an old non anamorphic version.

As Mr. Briggs stated above, the UPC # for the new one is 024543371571.
Hope that helps.
Old 09-06-06, 09:56 AM

Snowmaker wasn't nearly as hostile as you. How about this--if I, or anyone else, fails to meet your standard of self-research, how about not assisting us at all? We'll appreciate not dealing with your condescending attitude, I promise.
You keep saying "we'll", who is this we? Speak for yourself, you're the only one who had an issue with me posting the correct information, which for some reason you took offense to. I posted a fact and a simple question, and that's hostile!? Cry-baby soup.
Old 09-06-06, 01:22 PM

Just got back from Best Buy here in Texas. Picked up History of the World. Only $9.99. Has a new cover. Popped in the DVD and it looks amazing.

Didn't see YF or Robin Hood though.

Saxon
Old 09-06-06, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched Young Frankenstein & Robin Hood yesterday & History of the World today. All three are BEE YOU tiful. Got 'em at K Mart for $9.99 each.
Old 09-06-06, 05:55 PM
Banned

You keep saying "we'll", who is this we? Speak for yourself, you're the only one who had an issue with me posting the correct information, which for some reason you took offense to. I posted a fact and a simple question, and that's hostile!? Cry-baby soup.
Would you politely drop it? You've contributed exactly zilch to this thread since you entered it, so I am asking you to leave my thread, does that suit you better?
Old 09-06-06, 06:07 PM

Report his sorry ass already...
Old 09-06-06, 08:12 PM
Banned

I'm a half-second from it, but I always have an issue doing that. I believe in grown men fighting their own battles, but that belief has brought me to the edge of being banned from here more than once. As a result, I'm trying to "get on board" with the rules of the house, but it's hard. I find it much easier to just tell [bleep]s like basaro exactly what I think about them...