Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'My Mother's Smile'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 07-05-06, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Svet Atanasov's DVD review of My Mother's Smile at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=22571 and...

Pro-B, glad this finally made it to R1 but totally dissapointed with what you mentioned regarding the video and audio. I've been looking for the Italian release for months but it seems to be out of print. Are there other alternatives? I know Spain has a release but it is also 2.0 stereo as well and I'm not sure about the video quality.
Old 07-05-06, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've seen the New Yorker DVD, and it's certainly passable (you know, for New Yorker.). And a truly fascinating and engaging film. Though doubtful, I have to ask: is the Italian release English-subbed?

And "Leap Into the Void" eh? I'll certainly have to check that one out. I've only seen "Fists", "Smile" and "Good Morning, Night" so far, and I like 'em all!
Old 07-05-06, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Aside from the Italian disc I do not think that there is another release that offers both a DTS track and English subs. To be honest I did not know that the Italian disc is now OOP as I've had it for more than 18 months. It is actually a Collector's edition with plenty of extras and excellent audio/video quality (and a short booklet with the Cannes logo). Yes, my disc does include optional Italian, French, and English subtitles.

If opting for anything else but the R1 release...I would snag the Spanish release...at least you will avoid the "ghosting" (but will miss on the extras).

Richard: MK2 has a few great discs of Bellocchio's work but sadly they are not English friendly so no point reviewing them for the forum.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 07-05-06, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I shake my fist at new yorker. Is really sad that New Yorker is like the kid that get a C- and everyone congratulates him/her for having done so well in comparison.

As for the italian dvd, it seems like its been oop for a year.