Security Device NOT Enclosed???

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-25-06, 12:48 AM
Bye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi folks,

I'm sure I'm not alone in being horribly upset by the various titles (like the Frankenstein collection, the Looney Tunes Movie Collection, Peter Gabriel: Play - The Videos, etc.) that are shipped in Digipaks and have that nasty black security device affixed directly to the cardboard under a clear tray so it's visible every time you open the case, and of course you can't remove it without tearing the cardboard which you then have to see every time you open the case as well.

If anyone can recommend a retail or internet outlet (preferably retail) that offers DVDs that may not have had this nasty device in such a conspicuous place, please let me know. I'm sure there are stores that use external security shells or might receive their stock with the security device placed somewhere else (inside the slipcase, perhaps) where it wouldn't be so obvious once removed.

Thanks in advance for any help. Advice on how to remove these cleanly would also be appreciated. Kind of difficult from under the tray, and I think it'd be just as obvious if I remove the tray and re-glue it, but I'm open to suggestions (unless your suggestion is "stop being so anal, dude!").
Old 06-25-06, 07:27 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Certain security devices are internally, and externally attached to the DVDs from the manufacturer, and are usually desensitized from the retailer. Therefore, the security devices on DVDs are irrepressible, unless are manually removed after purchasing.

Last edited by SINGLE104; 06-25-06 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-25-06, 11:21 AM
Bye

Originally Posted by SINGLE104
Certain security devices are internally, and externally attached to the DVDs from the manufacturer, and are usually desensitized from the retailer. Therefore, the security devices on DVDs are irrepressible, unless are manually removed after purchasing.
Heh? Um, I'm not looking for DVDs without security devices, especially not for the purposes of finding ones that are vulnerable to theft. I'm just trying to find some way to buy the aformentioned titles without having to scar them as soon as I open them or deal with seeing that stupid black bar every time I want to watch them. Since not all DVDs are sold at retail, I don't see the point in tagging every single copy with those stupid devices. At the very least, put them somewhere where it's not so obvious. I'm sure I'm asking for something that doesn't exist, but I was holding out hope that not every copy would have the same kind of security device. I mean different stores have different security systems, so why would every copy have the same black thingy in the same place? I notice that some titles are listed as "Bob & Fred Go To Disneyland (Sensormatic)", so doesn't that imply there's a version that has different security features???
Old 06-25-06, 11:43 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think he just means to say that some DVDs are tagged with these devices at the manufacturing stage, so every outlet you might purchase them from, B&M and internet alike, will have them.
Old 06-25-06, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just as different retailers (WalMart vs CC vs BB) will get the same movie with different barcodes, they probably get them with different security tag arrangements as well.

I have Vol 3 of the Looney Tunes 4 disc Golden Collection and there is no security device in the packaging. I got it at CostCo, where most DVDs boxes are also enclosed in those elongated cardboard boxes that make the entire package about twice as tall. I think the security tags, if they are in them at all, are inside the elongated part of the packaging.

Personally, as aggravating as passive anti-theft tags are, I would be more concerned about the use of RFID tags by retailers. There is absolutely no reason for retailers (or anyone else) to utilize technology that has the potential to track your whereabouts (or that of your purchases) after you make a purchase and depart a store.

IMHO, all such devices (passive and RFID) should be made non-functional as you walk out of a store. Some stores use a technology that just makes anti-theft tags temporarily inactive.

FWIW, as a practical joke, a guy I know took such a tag off of a product he bought at a particular store and stuck it in his shoe. He would then go to the store, walk around for a while (as though checking things out to make a purchase), but leave without buying anything. When he walked thru the anti-theft tag detectors, they beeped. He continued to do this once or twice a day, sometimes skipping a day or two, for about a week. The store never did figure out what was going on, but at the end of his little gag, they started to talk like they would ban him, so he stopped.
Old 06-25-06, 04:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
I think he just means to say that some DVDs are tagged with these devices at the manufacturing stage, so every outlet you might purchase them from, B&M and internet alike, will have them.
Exactly! Thank You.
Old 06-25-06, 05:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I remember a few online store used to list the security device when there were multiple releases, I think one kind was called sensormatic, but I haven't noticed any in recent years.
Old 06-25-06, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jon2
Just as different retailers (WalMart vs CC vs BB) will get the same movie with different barcodes, they probably get them with different security tag arrangements as well.

I have Vol 3 of the Looney Tunes 4 disc Golden Collection and there is no security device in the packaging. I got it at CostCo, where most DVDs boxes are also enclosed in those elongated cardboard boxes that make the entire package about twice as tall. I think the security tags, if they are in them at all, are inside the elongated part of the packaging.

Personally, as aggravating as passive anti-theft tags are, I would be more concerned about the use of RFID tags by retailers. There is absolutely no reason for retailers (or anyone else) to utilize technology that has the potential to track your whereabouts (or that of your purchases) after you make a purchase and depart a store.

IMHO, all such devices (passive and RFID) should be made non-functional as you walk out of a store. Some stores use a technology that just makes anti-theft tags temporarily inactive.

FWIW, as a practical joke, a guy I know took such a tag off of a product he bought at a particular store and stuck it in his shoe. He would then go to the store, walk around for a while (as though checking things out to make a purchase), but leave without buying anything. When he walked thru the anti-theft tag detectors, they beeped. He continued to do this once or twice a day, sometimes skipping a day or two, for about a week. The store never did figure out what was going on, but at the end of his little gag, they started to talk like they would ban him, so he stopped.
What are these RFID devices??
Old 06-25-06, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fargreg
What are these RFID devices??
Crap that makes the RFID sensors go off when a customer who payed for their merchandise goes out the door but the lazy salesperson did not de-activate or remove the device except on their own loot for the day.