Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Dish Network old account still billed.

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I just recently moved from a home where I had a Dish Network account. When I moved I called Dish to cancel the account. I told them I would be getting Dish Network when I moved to my new place. So i called DN when I moved and had it reset up here. I asked them if they wanted the old equipment and they said no.

I'm checking my credit card today and see that i'm being billed $15 for the old account. I call them and told them that this account was supposed to be transferred. They said that they set me up with a new account in my new house and the other was still on hold. I finally got them to cancel ther account but they said they couldnt refund the money they charged me for the account that was onhold.

Anyone else experience similiar problems with Dish Network? I like Dish Network but I think its absurd for them to still charge me because they neglected to tranfer the account as they said they would and just created a new account for me in error.
Old 05-20-06, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As someone who used to work for Dish, it sounds like they put your old account on hold (Dish Pause) which keeps your account active but you don't pay programming, either 5 or 10 dollars a month depending on whether you own or lease your equipment. It sounds like they put your account on hold, and when you moved instead of taking the account off hold they just created a new account, so now you had 2 accounts. For most customers, there was a charge for someone to come out and move your dish, either a charge or an extra year commitment if they do it free. If they came and installed the dish at your new place and they created a new account, it might work out better for you because you may have had to pay if they just moved your account. It could have been $99 either with or without an extra contract so you may have lucked out just by paying the extra $10 or $15 or so. Again, not saying that's what happened, but it sounds like it.