Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Boondock Saints

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Boondock Saints

Old 02-13-06, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boondock Saints Question

In the scene where Willem Dafoe's character is investigating the first crime scene what opera (?) is he listing to? I realize its pretty random but its been bugging me.
Old 02-13-06, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

One of these?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0144117/soundtrack
Old 02-13-06, 06:19 PM

Thanks.
Old 02-27-06, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just finished watching The Boondock Saints...

What's the big deal? 7.7/10 on IMDB.com (not like that means anything), unrated version to be released in the next month or two, apparent "cult" status...why? It was a decent flick, I laughed a few times, a couple of cool sequences, but by the buzz?
Old 02-27-06, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

2nd question: Was this film direct to video? Both the opening credits and the trailer have that direct to video "feeling" to them.
Old 02-27-06, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the movie, and I'll get the unrated version when it comes out, but I agree it isn't as good as it's made out to be (but still worth watching).

It actually played in 1 theater, thats about it. Rent the documentary Overnight. It is about the director of this film. He is an asshole and got blacklisted from Hollywood. Really, he is lucky the film got made at all.
Old 02-27-06, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Answer to your first question: sounds like a case of inflated expectations.
Answer to your second question: I agree with the poster above, see "Overnight."

Also, does this movie not have it's own thread already? That's not a sarcastic rhetorical question, I actually did a search so I could post one of the numerous links I expected to find here, but I only came up with a one-and-done thread asking a question about the film, and a thread about the forever-rumored sequel. I just find it odd that this movie hasn't been discussed here. Then again, maybe I just suck at searching (I just searched "Boondock," titles only, movie forum).

-JP
Old 02-27-06, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i first saw it at blockbuster years and years ago. it was part of a small and shortly lived, blockbuster exclusive movies. basically BBV got exclusive rights to a few movies that went DTV. i expected all the movies to be crap and always overlooked them. but the boondocks cover kept grabbing at my attention. finally i rented it. i think its popularity stems from the people who watched it with zero or negative expectations and found a solid and well done film. the film defintely exceeded my expectations. and from there it was just word of mouth, "hey man you got to check this movie out, no one has ever heard of it, but it's great!" etc.

the movie isn't great, but it is highly enjoyable. it has some quality that makes it really easy to like without feeling forced or pandering. although after many repeated viewing it does show a bit of that stuff.

never heard of Overnight but i am now interested in seeing it. Is it all about Troy Duffy or a few directors?
Old 02-27-06, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Venom
never heard of Overnight but i am now interested in seeing it. Is it all about Troy Duffy or a few directors?
It's all about Troy Duffy.
It's worth watching, you should definitely check it out.
Old 04-29-06, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Boondock Saints will finally be released to theaters (somewhat).

I was at one of the local Regal Cinemas today catching out Hard Candy when, before the flick, the theater aired an advertisement for a screening of The Boondock Saints on Monday, May 22nd at 8pm. Like other theatrical films Regal Cinemas have screened one night only in order to promote an upcoming video release (the two-disc special edition of the film is released the day after), the film will most likely screen in Christie (blah) digital projection.

I am tempted to go see it if I don't have to work late that night, but I can't find any information on the web about this. I am assuming they'll be screening the unrated cut which will be included on the DVD, but the brief ad made no mention about it nor can I find a website.

So, you know, some help would be helpful.
Old 04-29-06, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts
Do you mean the original movie is being screened or the sequel that never got finished because Duffy couldn't keep his mouth shut?
Old 04-29-06, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rival11
Do you mean the original movie is being screened or the sequel that never got finished because Duffy couldn't keep his mouth shut?
The original movie. It never got a "true" theatrical release (less than five theaters I believe before it ended up at Blockbuster), so this may be the first and last time most will ever get the chance to see it on a large screen.

Last I heard, the sequel was nothing but rumors.
Old 04-29-06, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts
oh, well that's cool. I wouldn't mind seeing it on the big screen. The sequel was definitely suppose to happen. Duffy had a full blown website going with screen tests, photos, etc....
Old 04-30-06, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I saw the same commercial at an AMC Theater in Chicago in the last week. I got the impression they were screening the Unrated version, but that might have just been the DVD.
Old 04-30-06, 04:52 AM
Banned

well the movie was that good so i won't be going.
Old 05-23-06, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did anybody else see "Theatrical" one-night Boondock Saints screening?

During a trailer last Friday I saw an announcement for a "Big Screen Theatrical Screening" one-time-only on May 22nd for Boondock Saints.

I'm a big Boondock Saints fan, but not one of those that knows every detail of Troy Duffy's life. The only reason I even know Troy Duffy's name is that he had a horrrrrrrrible 20 minute interview/Q&A before the movie started. That is one arrogant and obnoxious SOB, and the 'added feature' sucked the life out of the audience.

I went to the showing here in Boise, Idaho and I was curious if anybody else went where they are. The most disappointing aspect was that the "Theatrical" release was only about 50% of the screen size. I also refuse to believe that was a film print, it was so poorly focused and grainy that it was relative to VHS quality. I'm trying to figure out how they even projected that and from what source. Disappointing experience overall, they should have advertised in advance that it wasn't going to be a true theatrical presentation or I wouldn't have dropped 10 bucks on it.
Old 05-23-06, 04:30 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
johnmoaby...that you?
Old 05-23-06, 05:25 PM

He was actually in the theatre? Or was it a clip of a Q & A? What theatre did they show it? Edwards? Egyptian?
Old 05-23-06, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As cool as it would be to see unrated films in theaters on these one night only screenings. The fact that they are digitally projected(probably using the dvd being released the next day) with bad quality(bad volume levels,picture out of focus etc) has kept me away.

I've heard they may be doing a similar thing for The Hills Have Eyes unrated dvd release. But I'll save my money and just pick up the dvd instead.
Old 05-23-06, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sorry, should have been more specific. There was a 20-25 minute clip of a Q&A session then a couple minute introduction before the movie.

It was at the Edwards 21, but not in one of the main theaters.
Old 05-23-06, 09:59 PM

its my favorite film so i definitely had to catch it. i even drove about 45 minutes in order to do that. i thought the presantation could of been better but did anyone believe they were going to produce hundreds of film prints just for a one night screening? i got what i was expecting and thought it was awesome. ive been wanting to see it on the big screen for a while. well worth the 10 bucks...
Old 05-23-06, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't go...How full was the theater??
Old 05-23-06, 11:01 PM

the theater was packed...maybe about 3-5 empty seats
Old 05-23-06, 11:12 PM

It's not an actual film print. The movie is presented through a digital projector like that of the previews and commercials that run before the movie trailer. And it's not even at the local theater, the movie is downloaded.
Old 05-24-06, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had never been to one of these "one night only" screenings, and given the advertisements, I was expecting it to be a regular theatrical presentation. That was the way it was hyped, and I was extremely disappointed. My biggest problem was that my home theater would have been (and will be with the new DVD) a better experience.

It was PACKED, we got there 20 minutes before the start time and barely got 2 seats together.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.