Reload this Page >

Last Gen bandwagon jumping??

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-14-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I the only one that's bored with the hype...tired of prettier versions of the the same tired games? I'm looking at you Resident Evil with your antiquated controls.

I can't think of a single compelling reason to buy a next generation system since I haven't seen anything revolutionary since GTA, Metroid Prime, or Halo...and they probably weren't that revolutionary...just natural progressions from the PSX/N64 days.

My answer: GO RETRO

Instead of a 360, get an NES and a library of games for $100. I defy you to put Metroid, Mario, Contra, or Blaster Master down.

Buy an SNES and a library of timeless classics for a quarter the price of a PS3...same with a Genesis. It turns out football was a lot of fun to play on consoles before you needed 3 hands to do it. Go figure.

Buy an Atari 2600 and play some Demon Attack, Asteroids, or River Raid. One button baby! If you are 30 or older, there should be a serious nostalgia factor.

Some people think the N-64 is "perfect"...I don't know about that...but there are 5-6 games on that thing that absolutely have to played...and you can get one with all those games for a third the price of a 360. Should keep you busy for about a year.

No need to get a PS1, since your PS2 plays all the games...but you probably missed some brilliant games.

Maybe the Revolution will take care of a lot of the above with downloadable content...but that probably will only cover first and second party games.

I've picked up many of the classic consoles in the past few years and haven't thought about my PS2 or GC since...aside from a little stint of Metroid Prime. I recommend giving it a try and letting the "Next Gen" sort itself out.
Old 02-14-06, 11:14 AM

Totally agree.

Look at Perfect Dark & Bad Fur Day. Both excellent titles, but because Rare is with Microsoft, we're getting both of those now.

XBox 360 really doesn't interest me at all. I can't find one game I'd actually buy for it.

Hell, I still have my N64 (Classic), SNES and Megadrive that I still play regulary.

I got rid of my XBox last month because I only had it for one game. PES5. Orginially brought it for Halo and Fable, both of which are very overrated.

I don't actually think I've said anything related to what you said.. :/
Old 02-14-06, 11:20 AM
Suspended

Maybe the Revolution will take care of a lot of the above with downloadable content...but that probably will only cover first and second party games.
Since the "bread and butter" of Nintendo are its 1st and 2nd party games..what exactly will you be missing?
Old 02-14-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 02-14-06, 11:22 AM
Mod Emeritus

Why not both? I play the 360 an hour a night, but always have room for retro gaming. Each provides a nice break from the other.

Why this one or the other crap?
Old 02-14-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Why not both? I play the 360 an hour a night, but always have room for retro gaming. Each provides a nice break from the other.
I agree.. though I'm more retro/current-gen. Will need a year or two to jump into the next for me.
Old 02-14-06, 11:29 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I agree.. though I'm more retro/current-gen. Will need a year or two to jump into the next for me.
Not me. I will need 4-8 months until the Revolution comes out.

It takes care of both the new and retro gens at the same time.
Old 02-14-06, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by chess
Instead of a 360, get an NES and a library of games for $100. I defy you to put Metroid, Mario, Contra, or Blaster Master down.
Ooooh I remember Blaster Master. Rented it, loved it, but was never able to win due to it's limited number of continues. Curse you Blaster Master!
Old 02-14-06, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

hehe... I was wondering the same thing. I have been contemplating pulling out my Genesis/32x/CD combo to supplement my 360 gaming.
Old 02-14-06, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
That is impressive.
Old 02-14-06, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
Since the "bread and butter" of Nintendo are its 1st and 2nd party games..what exactly will you be missing?
I could put together an impressive list of third party NES/SNES titles, I think...especially NES.
Old 02-14-06, 12:46 PM
Retired

I'm getting the revolution as I figure most of the old games I loved will be available and it saves the hassle of tracking down the carts, cleaning them, replacing dead batteries, etc.

I'm sure there will be a lot of third party games from companies like Capcom, Konami etc. availabe (especially given that genesis games look likely).

I mean it's a way to make cash with little to not development cost.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 02-14-06 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-14-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To each his own...I just think it's early to be worrying about which "next gen" system to buy...especially when the "next gen" looks suspiciously like "this gen".

I also think that games...at least most of them...have gotten way too complicated for casual players to enjoy. I had more fun playing Bonk last night than I've had on any current gen game aside from Metroid Prime or GTA.

Or maybe I'm just in a retro phase, and I'll tap into the next gen when the hype and the prices subside a bit.
Old 02-14-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I'm getting the revolution as I figure most of the old games I loved will be available and it saves the hassle of tracking down the carts, cleaning them, replacing dead batteries, etc.

I'm sure there will be a lot of third party games from companies like Capcom, Konami etc. availabe (especially given that genesis games look likely).

I mean it's a way to make cash with little to not development cost.
Revolution is a given for me...mostly because I've become a whore for Nintendo's franchises (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kart, Smash, etc.)
Old 02-14-06, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 127 Posts
I actually went retro at the beginning of the current gen, as I was a fresh college grad who couldn't find a job at the time. Picked up a NES, SuperNES and N64 on the cheap, along with something like 40 or 50 games and that was about all I played for 2 years, until I could afford to get into the PS2 and Gamecube. This next generation is the first one where I'm making enough money to be able to jump on at the start, so I'm kind of enjoying the hype, even if it is a little overblown.
Old 02-14-06, 01:59 PM
Retired

Cost is one reason. $400 is way more than I'd ever pay for a console, so if all new consoles were about my $200 threshold I'd just go retro until big price drops a few years down the road.
Old 02-14-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I still love old games and I love my 360 and the games I have for it, I don't think it's hype if you actually have fun playing the games the system offers if you don't like them don't play them if you do then get a 360 or revolution/ps3 when it comes out (which I will).

Old, New; it's all good stuff.
Old 02-14-06, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by kakihara1
I still love old games and I love my 360 and the games I have for it, I don't think it's hype if you actually have fun playing the games the system offers if you don't like them don't play them if you do then get a 360 or revolution/ps3 when it comes out (which I will).

Old, New; it's all good stuff.
Precisely. Condemned wasn't hyped at all and right now it sits atop of my Best of 360 list so far. It was fun & I loved it. Hype means nothing.
Old 02-14-06, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No doubt...and I don't mean to dispariage anyone's preference. I just have 3 issues:

1. The games aren't getting any better...just *slightly* prettier and *much* more complicated

2. The price. For some irrational reason, I paid full price at launch for a PS1, but I will never...not ever...do that again. Especially at $400+. It's not that I can't afford it, I just refuse to do it.

3. Games in general (with the exception of Nintendo) are going in a direction that doesn't fit with my tastes. Aside from Metroids and Zeldas, my favorite recent games have been games like Viewtiful Joe and Ikaruga...which are nothing if not old school.
Old 02-14-06, 03:40 PM
Mod Emeritus

I'm a gamer who keeps games for a few months and then ebays them or if they are really good I'll hold onto them. My game stash from last gen allowed me to own a 360 this gen because I liquidated it on Ebay for a nice amount of cash. I still have a SNES, DC, GBA, and my MAME arcade machine. To me the 360 brings something amazing and you wouldn't suspect: I no longer get dizzy from playing it in HD. I also love Tony Hawk after skipping the last few iterations, and COD is fantastic. Probably the coolest thing I do with my 360 is stream audio and especially photos onto my tv from my other systems. This is a huge time saver and I used it just last Saturday to show some friends some vacation photos.

Retro gaming is great, but that doesn't mean the new generation sucks. To me the HD factor causing 3D games to be much more playable is huge.
Old 02-14-06, 05:11 PM
Retired

1. The games aren't getting any better...just *slightly* prettier and *much* more complicated

2. The price. For some irrational reason, I paid full price at launch for a PS1, but I will never...not ever...do that again. Especially at $400+. It's not that I can't afford it, I just refuse to do it.

3. Games in general (with the exception of Nintendo) are going in a direction that doesn't fit with my tastes. Aside from Metroids and Zeldas, my favorite recent games have been games like Viewtiful Joe and Ikaruga...which are nothing if not old school.
That's pretty much spot on for me. A lot of games are just too complicated for me, especially with my busy ph d student schedule. And I just grew up on simple NES and SNES games and prefer that.

I also can afford a $400 console, but I"m just not willing to pay it. Games have dropped a few rungs down my hobby ladder as in, and factor in my busy life and its just a stupid move for me to spend that much on a console.

And as you say, games are getting away from what I like. I've mainly enjoyed Nintendo first party games (not even all of them, the metroid system is getting away from me, which is a shame as Super Metroid is my all time fave) and classic game ports this generation.
Old 02-14-06, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No doubt...and I don't mean to dispariage anyone's preference. I just have 3 issues:

I can't really agree with that one. Personally, I think videogames never been better. There's something to be said for the simple goodness of retro games, I appreciate the classics as much as the next guy, but I don't think they stand up to what's being offered today. It's more than just slightly better graphics, games have higher production values, more polish, and more variety. Of course, that in itself doesn't mean that the games are better. Even a polished game can be boring and uninspired (Rare provides us with some nice examples of that in Donkey Kong 64 and Star Fox Adventures).

Still I think that there is a larger number of good games now than there was in the "good old days", a smaller number of complete turds. It seems to me that a "bad" game today is one that's just mediocre and/or derivative. There doesn't seem to be as many toe-curlingly bad games like there were back then. Or maybe I'm just better informed now, and I manage to miss all of them.

Also, I just think there's more kinds of games now than there was then. Either games that wasn't possible then because of hardware limitations, or just games that no one had thought of. You've still got alot of the old-style games on the GBA and DS mostly, but now we've also got FPS, RTS, and a lot more RPGs than we ever got from Japan before. And just look at rythym-based games like Guitar Hero or DDR, and then Nintendo takes it one step farther and makes rythym-based platform game. Seeing that kind of experimentation (and also titles like Katamari Damacy, Odama, Chibi-Robo, and especially what we're seeing on the DS) being met with open arms in the gaming community and achieving some degree of commercial sucess makes me hopefully for the future of gaming.
Old 02-14-06, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah some good points and I agree. My backlog of games in the current gen is so big (PS2, GC, DS, GBA) that there is enough to keep me busy until the next-gen systems come out. Still need to pick up Fire Emblem damnit! The price on new systems (except the Revolution) is ridiculous and only early adopters are going to get it right now, as there is very little in terms of games and you have to pay for a $700 bundle if you want it, currently the 360 seems like a waste to me seeing that the current gen is still alive and kicking. Plus I haven't really seen anything that looks next generation or different enough from the current gen to me yet, so I'll be waiting in the meantime.
Old 02-14-06, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I can't think of a single compelling reason to buy a next generation system since I haven't seen anything revolutionary since GTA, Metroid Prime, or Halo...
Katamari Damacy.
Old 02-14-06, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
There's something to be said for the simple goodness of retro games, I appreciate the classics as much as the next guy, but I don't think they stand up to what's being offered today.
I'd say it's a matter of personal preference more than anything. I couldn't tell a fan of platformers that games are better now than they were ten years ago any more than I could tell a diehard FPS fan that there's likely much of interest to him from the 80's.

As far as the collective quality of games: How many genres can we say have fundamentally evolved for the better in the last ten or twenty years from a design (read: not just technological) standpoint? I'm still pushing crates around in God of War, searching for crap to open a rickety-ass door in RE4 because my rocket launcher apparently isn't powerful enough, level-grinding with random encounters in DQVIII, running through endless corridors in Doom III, driving indestructible cars in Gran Turismo 4, and using money plays in Madden 2006.

If you want to get into technology: My carts are going to last a a lot longer than my discs, and nobody's house was ever burned down by their NES power supply. I also don't remember having issues with bad cameras or framerates until 1996, but now it's a damn miracle when I play a 3D game that is free of either problem. Personally, I'll take slowdown over not being able to see the action any day of the week.

Gaming is full of just as many plusses and minuses now as it ever was, which is why I wouldn't give up either new games or old games. Some kinds of games aren't ever going to appear again or be done as well; likewise, I can't wait to see what's next.

Last edited by Ralph Wiggum; 02-14-06 at 07:59 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.