Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What makes a "true collector" of DVD's and are you?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-01-06, 12:43 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts

I am curious as to what you think a "true collector" is. Is it someone who takes DVD collecting very seriously and amasses over 1,000 DVD's?

Can it be someone who just has a lot (100's, but not 1,000's) and buys what they are interested in and not simply buying for buying sake?

Is DVD collecting a hobby for you and that makes you a true collector?

Very curious...
Old 02-01-06, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I buy DVDs I'm interested in and don't buy ones that I'm not. I don't count how many I have, and don't really care if I'm a "true collector," whatever that means, or not. The same is true for books and CDs.

I don't know if that answers your question.
Old 02-01-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For me a real collector is someone who loves movies, takes time and effort with it regardless of how many, they watch the actual films instead of just putting them on a shelf and forgetting about them and they don't own a Michael Bay movie.
Old 02-01-06, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A good indication of a true collector is the number of unopened/unwatched titles he/she has lying around.. If there's 10+, that's a good sign of a growing addiction. Bonus "hardcore" points for the amount of dust they've accumulated.
Old 02-01-06, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scott1598
Can it be someone who just has a lot (100's, but not 1,000's) and buys what they are interested in and not simply buying for buying sake?
Yes, I think so. At least that's true in my case. I have 98 DVDs (107 titles) and I consider myself a "true collector". I only buy what I like and I rarely do blind buys. Although, I must admit, if I could afford it I'd probably have about twice as many DVDs as I currently have (still, they'd all be movies that I "liked").
Old 02-01-06, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think a true collector are those that love movies and buys what they like. Buying for the sake of buying means your an addict. I'm a movie lover who loves watching dvds.
Old 02-01-06, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm a true collector because I say I am one. Actually, I consider myself more a film whore slash librarian. I don't like the word collector. I buy what I love and what I feel is essential to my overall library. If I wanted to buy just to have for the hell of it....I'd own over 5,000 dvds right now.

I like being where I'm at right now...hovering right around 2,200 to 2,800 titles.
Old 02-01-06, 01:56 PM

I believe a true collector is someone who bothers to double dip, or hold out buying a movie until a rumored "special edition" comes out, even if it means waiting months!
Old 02-01-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gutwrencher
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm a true collector because I say I am one.
100% agreement...
Old 02-01-06, 02:52 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmm tough question
Old 02-01-06, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Someone who goes great lengths to make sure everything they buy is in pristine condition, and remains in pristine condition. That is not me.
Old 02-01-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A respectable DVD collector is someone that has quality movies.

A sad DVD collector is someone that has shelves of DVDs that look exactly like the same lame choices in Blockbuster (for anyone that owns Monkeybone, U-571, Twisted, Corky Romano, complete TV series of Buffy/Xena/Farscape/All in the Family/Mash).

Someone that says "I don't care what people think of my DVD collection," usually means that you have a lame/embarrasing DVD collection.

And lastly, i'm just kidding...,but there is some truth here!
Old 02-01-06, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, when it comes to video games, there are those that collect for certain systems and try to get complete collections for whatever systems they are collecting for. It doesn't matter if there are games that are really bad and they'll never want to play: if they exist, they're essential to the complete collection. That may be what a "true collector" is in that area.

With DVDs, obviously it would be impossible to buy every single one that is released, but there are those that collect a type of DVD, such as a series of films, everything a director or an actor has done, etc., or something like Criterions.

I would not consider myself a "true collector" in that sense. Even if I would be one DVD away from completing a series, if I don't like it, I won't buy it just to finish off that collection.
Old 02-01-06, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nonametofame
A good indication of a true collector is the number of unopened/unwatched titles he/she has lying around.. If there's 10+, that's a good sign of a growing addiction. Bonus "hardcore" points for the amount of dust they've accumulated.

(raises hand, looks around)

Hi, I'm Scott and I'm a DVD addict...

10+? I know for a fact that my unopened count is in the low 3-digit range, probably around 170 or so.
Old 02-01-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

like any other hobby, DVD collectors spend more money on this hobby than the "regular" person, and of course their eyes light up when a new SE, LE or special release comes out and they're jumping for joy over them.
Old 02-01-06, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
A "true collector" of DVD's is more concerned with the format than with the content. Anything that exploits the format takes priority over the film or show. They'll double-dip on a title because of more supplemental material. They'll buy an entire TV series because the spines of the keepcases form a mural. They make their entire collection visible in their home. They buy limited edition discs. Given a choice, they'll choose gift sets over disc-only releases.

Given that definition, I'm not a "true collector" of DVD's. DVD's are just a way to get what I'm REALLY interested in... films and TV shows that are meaningful to me.
Old 02-01-06, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I think a true collector are those that love movies and buys what they like. Buying for the sake of buying means your an addict. I'm a movie lover who loves watching dvds.
Agreed and that would be me as well. Too many people addicted to shopping nowadays.
Old 02-01-06, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I think it's really up to each individuals mindset.
Old 02-01-06, 07:24 PM

I consider myself a collector because I buy the DVDs I want, whatever the quality of the movie. I want the best quality picture/video/extras, and I'll spend whatever amount to get the DVD I want. I own multiple editions of a single movie because the extras are different, and they're worth it. I like to have complete filmographies of my favorite actors and directors. I will ALWAYS buy the biggest (usually most expensive) set given the choice. I will also, never, never buy a DVD to make money off it. I've had plenty of chances to buy mega LEs from everywhere in the world, but I've only bought one for myself. I'm not a businessman, I'm a collector. I used to collect beer bottle caps (don't ask), but now I collect DVDs.

My collection is my own, and I'm a collector because I buy the movies I want, I like my collection, I don't show it off, and I don't care what anybody thinks about it.
Old 02-01-06, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't know about a "true collector," but I have a theory about what makes an interesting collection (of anything- DVDs, CDs, Books, whatever...).

If you can show your collection to anyone with a passing interest of the subject matter, and they can find at least 1) one thing they love, 2) one thing they hate and 3) one thing they've never heard of, then that collection is interesting.

For example, "Oh wow, you've got This Is Spinal Tap! Great film. But why the heck do you own Adventures in Babysitting? Wait- what's this... RahXephon? Looks interesting. Is it good?"
Old 02-02-06, 07:12 AM

I get about 10 DVDs every week.

That's bad enough, but the worst part is I actually have a list of the films I need to get.
Old 02-02-06, 10:24 AM
Banned

A true collector buys what they want. I love Friday the 13th movies..I buy the box set and the single movies. I love Three's Company..I buy each season as the come out. Let's face it a majority of the dvd's being released these days will never be valuable. Collect them, watch them just don't waste them (by not opening them!)....
Old 02-02-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
I prefer to think of myself as a true collector of movies and the medium I prefer them on is DVD.

Back in the day when VHS was king, I had close to 400 cassettes before started contemplating Laserdisc and the fledgling format known as DVD.
Old 02-02-06, 11:14 AM

I think collecting dvds is a waste of time but mostly money. I rent mostly, and buy the movies that I know I will want to watch several times. I can't relate to the people on here who have stacks of unwatched, unopened dvds, that doesn't make sense to me.
Old 02-02-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ArchibaldTuttle
I can't relate to the people on here who have stacks of unwatched, unopened dvds, that doesn't make sense to me.
Take one look at any thread that starts out "When the heck did _______ go out of print? I can't find it now!" and you might begin to understand at least one of the reasons for that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.