Reload this Page >

Final Fantasy Video Game Movie on DVD?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-18-06, 03:02 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im not talking about that movie that came to theaters awhile ago--im trying to find info about this one i saw in an ad for GameInformer magazine.

I want to find out more about it and ask anyone who knows some questions about it--Basically if Ive never played a FF game, will this catch me up to speed on what the franchise is about?
Old 01-18-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No.

It's just a "sequel" of sorts to Final Fantasy VII.
Old 01-18-06, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
Advent Children?

http://www.adventchildren.net/

That's a movie sequel to one of the most popular RPG's of all time, Final Fantasy VII.
As such, being familiar with FFVII will definitely help. I haven't seen it or the preview yet, so I don't know if it's required.

Regarding the game franchise, even though they are numbered like sequels, the games aren't true 'sequels', with the exception of FFX and FFX-2. They share some commonalities [some monsters, some gameplay concepts, airship, Cid, spells, summons, etc], but AFAIK, it's really not necessary to play any of them to 'know what's going on' in other games [again, except for FFX and FFX-2, although even that isn't really 'necessary', except for the overriding plot point of 'who's this guy']. And for the last couple iterations, they have tweaked major portions of the game [either the way the game plays, or the way the characters get skills, or the way combat plays out] so they're not just rehashing the whole thing.
Old 01-18-06, 03:17 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

oh ok. Yea Advent Children is the one.

Im thinking PS3 will be my first Playstation console and im pretty sure id like to check this series out. I think ive seen some clips from this movie and it looked interesting as well.
Old 01-18-06, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts
The movie is a continuation of FFVII. All of the FF games are independent stories and have no real connection (except for FFX and FFX2 for PS2). I was able to see an import copy of the movie. I don't think someone would really enjoy it unless they've played through FFVII first. The CGI is amazing, but you wouldn't really understand the story.
Old 01-18-06, 03:36 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

wow really? that sucks.
Old 01-18-06, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you've never played Final Fantasy VII, then watching Advent Children would basically amount to watching a random group of people engage in a bunch of really crazy fight scenes with a little nonsensical plot-filler added to serve as a buffer in-between the fight scenes.

If you've played Final Fantasy VII, the difference is that they aren't just random people.
Old 01-18-06, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
If you've never played Final Fantasy VII, then watching Advent Children would basically amount to watching a random group of people engage in a bunch of really crazy fight scenes with a little nonsensical plot-filler added to serve as a buffer in-between the fight scenes.

If you've played Final Fantasy VII, the difference is that they aren't just random people.
Well said and much agreed.
Old 01-18-06, 05:01 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov

Good. I wanted to check it out, but haven't played FFVII since it came out and don't remember the story very well (just the major plot points).