Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Multi-console games more $$ on Gamecube...why?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-15-06, 05:41 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Everywhere I go, games for GC are higher than ALL other consoles...PS2, XBOX, PC, Nintendo DS. My case in point is Circuit City right now. They have PJ's King Kong for $24.99 for PS2 and XBOX. $34.99 for PC and DS, and still $49.99 for GC...what the hell is up with that.

I have noticed it on other fairly newly released games like Two Thrones as well.
Old 01-15-06, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$24.99 is either a very recent pricedrop or a sale price for King Kong. Everywhere else, it's still $49.99. Maybe the sale was only for the XBOX and PS2 version, or maybe they just forgot to update the GC price.
Old 01-15-06, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think stores have a larger inventory of PS2 and XBOX versions of games as they sell better, and less of an inventory of Cube games. Thus when a game doesn't really sell as well as they had thought they try to get rid of their games with the larger inventory. Or at least that's my theory.
Old 01-15-06, 10:49 PM

i suspect that 'cuase gamecube media is very hard to back up while PS2 and Xbox can easily be backed up.... so whoever want to buy the gamecube will have to pay premium... while PS2 and xbox games.. can be easily obtain both from more supply and back up capability... don't know just my guess
Old 01-15-06, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Circuit City always does this. They do it with Madden 2006 too.
Old 01-16-06, 12:54 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That's just a decision by the store. If we do a price drop or sale, we do it by title, not by platform.
Old 01-16-06, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love some of the out-there guesses.

There's no reason.. it's just whatever the store wants to do. Wal*Mart had Gun for Cube last night for like, $24.99 and the others were still priced normally so it happens both ways. There are some multi-platform releases that get a smaller print-run on the Cube and end up costing more on the second-hand markets years down the line but anything you see at places like Circuit City is just whatever the store wants to do.
Old 01-16-06, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by gameover2k2
i suspect that 'cuase gamecube media is very hard to back up while PS2 and Xbox can easily be backed up.... so whoever want to buy the gamecube will have to pay premium... while PS2 and xbox games.. can be easily obtain both from more supply and back up capability... don't know just my guess
WTF?