Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Coldplay's new CD...is this for real?!?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 01-02-06, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts

(I didn't see anything about this posted, so I apologize if it's a repost.)

What the hell is the deal with Coldplay's new CD? I'm not a Coldplay fan, but is this going to become the norm for all new releases?

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/01/01...ew_cd_has.html
Old 01-02-06, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this for a new cd they have coming out or for x & y. I hadn't heard of a new cd, any info on it?
Old 01-02-06, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thats ridiculous if true. All of the normal customers will buy it and get screwed. The pirates will find a way around it and do their normal thing.

So if you buy the real disc is it legal to download it off of a P2P site so you can make a fully functional CD?
Old 01-02-06, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Tim Travis
Is this for a new cd they have coming out or for x & y. I hadn't heard of a new cd, any info on it?
The link from the link says that this is the Indian version of X&Y
http://itch.in/journal/bad-bad-coldplay
Old 01-02-06, 08:42 PM

I thought that sounded weird, my copy plays fine everywhere and is ripped just fine.
Old 01-02-06, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I haven't played the CD since I bought it. Like all CDs, they get ripped on the first day and stored away. If I want it on CD, I burn a copy of the album and I add another album or EP if necessary.
Old 01-02-06, 09:56 PM

Pulling this kind of crap actually makes me WANT to pirate this album.
Old 01-02-06, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it looked a little weird, too. After posting, I checked Napster, and it's available for download/purchase there. I mean, if a place like Napster has it, what's the purpose of all the lockdown crap?
Old 01-03-06, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Infidel
I thought it looked a little weird, too. After posting, I checked Napster, and it's available for download/purchase there. I mean, if a place like Napster has it, what's the purpose of all the lockdown crap?
Well Napster ain't what it used to be, so I'm not sure what you are getting at.
Old 01-03-06, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It says it can't be converted into MP3 for file sharing.

My interpretation of this is that converting into MP3 is fine and dandy as long as it isn't shared.
Old 01-03-06, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reason's Hit & Run blog (www.reason.com/hitandrun) has an interesting little write-up about this

Curse Missed Opportunities
Boing Boing reports that the most recent Coldplay CD comes with a couple little restrictions:

This CD cannot be burnt onto a CD or hard disc, nor can it be converted to an MP3.

This CD...might not play in...some DVD players...car stereos...portable CD players, Game Players....Although you can use your PC's Windows program to listen to certain tracks, this does not mean that the CD can be played in all PCs....This CD does not support Macintosh PC software.

After all that, the insert helpfully informs you that they won't refund or exchange the album. And this "special technology" is to help you "enjoy high quality music."

Now, depending where you get it, the store might well be willing to accept the disc back and offer a refund. But in light of the way increasing numbers of people consume music these days, I wonder whether this isn't a fraudulent (at the least deceptive) practice. I buy most of my music online for download these days, though once or twice a year I'll end up buying a physical CD. I pretty much never listen to music on the CD though—I keep my music on my hard drive and iPod and the physical CD filed away in a book in a closet somewhere. I'm not even sure anyone in my house owns a functional CD player not installed in a computer of some sort. Practically speaking, given the way I (and most people I know) consume music now, a CD I can't rip to a hard drive is no use to me. You might as well sell me a DVD region-coded for play only in Southeast Asia, with no notice until its home and unwrapped that I can't use it in the fashion or with the equipment I customarily do—and (reasonably, I think) took it for granted at the time of purchase that I'd be able to.

Now, looking at the rear cover, I do see some very tiny print hinting at a fraction of the limitations suggested on the insert. Though contra what's printed there, the rear cover seems to suggest that the disc will work with Macs, and never really says in so many words that you can't use the thing with your iPod at all. Any lawyers out there think a class-action suit against Virgin for manufacturing what many would consider a defective product without adequate notice would stand a chance? And if so, want to go halvsies on what's left of the settlement after the vast majority of buyers neglect to collect their $1.50 share of it?
Old 01-03-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
My problem is that the insert is on the inside, and no refunds are offered. Very deceptive.

If the company wants to put some asinine protection on the discs, fine by me. Just let me know on the outside of the packaging so I know not to buy that merchandise.
Old 01-03-06, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Boneheaded moves like this will just create more people who will learn how to become a criminal in order to do something legal with the music they purchased.
Old 01-03-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't have a problem with ripping it to my computer. In fact, I also didn't have a problem copying it to CD-r to listen to in my car. I guess I didn't get the "warning" though.
Old 01-03-06, 09:35 PM

the Happy Fun Ball had less restrictions.!
Old 01-03-06, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by bub2000
the Happy Fun Ball had less restrictions.!
Kid 1: It's Cold!

Kid 2: It's Play!

All Three Kids: It's Coldplay!

Announcer: Yes, it's Coldplay! The sensation that's sweeping the nation! Only $14.95 at participating stores! Get one today!

Warning: Pregnant women, the elderly, and children under 10 should avoid prolonged exposure to Coldplay.

Caution: Coldplay may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.

Coldplay contains a liquid core, which, if exposed due to rupture, should not be touched, inhaled, or looked at.

Do not use Coldplay on concrete.

Discontinue use of Coldplay if any of the following occurs:

* itching
* vertigo
* dizziness
* tingling in extremities
* loss of balance or coordination
* slurred speech
* temporary blindness
* profuse sweating
* or heart palpitations.

If Coldplay begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.

Coldplay may stick to certain types of skin.

When not in use, Coldplay should be returned to its special container and kept under refrigeration. Failure to do so relieves the makers of Coldplay, Wacky Products Incorporated, and its parent company, Global Chemical Unlimited, of any and all liability.

Ingredients of Coldplay include an unknown glowing green substance which fell to Earth, presumably from outer space.

Coldplay has been shipped to our troops in Saudi Arabia and is being dropped by our warplanes on Iraq.

Do not taunt Coldplay.

Coldplay comes with a lifetime warranty.

Coldplay! Accept no substitutes!
Old 01-04-06, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Well Napster ain't what it used to be, so I'm not sure what you are getting at.
My point was very simple. If you can buy the album on Napster, and burn it to a cd right off the bat, what's the purpose of locking down/restricting the physical media?
Old 01-04-06, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts
I'm suprised they didn't include the warning only, and state that the only way to hear the music was to see them live. There would, of course, be full cavity searches to keep any recording devices out of the arena.
Old 01-05-06, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
I didn't have a problem with ripping it to my computer. In fact, I also didn't have a problem copying it to CD-r to listen to in my car. I guess I didn't get the "warning" though.
Again, the above link is for the Indian version of the CD, not the U.S. version.

Anyway, the instructions read like the disc has SunComm's MediaMax copy protection on it, which is the system Sony was using in the U.S. before their disastrous switch to XCP a few weeks ago.
Old 01-05-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Again, the above link is for the Indian version of the CD, not the U.S. version.
oops, thx.

anyhow, that just reads like an expanded version of the bullcrap that's on the back of my MMJ and Neil Diamond albums. all i needed was one special keyboard "feature" and they're now mp3s. the cds will never go back in the machine.
Old 01-05-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Copy protected cds are a bunch of BS anyway. Sadyl, I've had to pass on at least one album that I really would have liked because it stated on the back it could not be copied (and the only reason I make copies is for my own compilations).
Old 01-05-06, 12:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
this doesn't surprise me, their A Rush of Blood to the Head album and all UK singles from that album were not able to copy via a computer.
Old 01-05-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
this doesn't surprise me, their A Rush of Blood to the Head album and all UK singles from that album were not able to copy via a computer.
I've to-date never had a problem with any album not being able to be copied, including Coldplay and all their UK singles. And when I say all their singles, I mean all; with the exception of the Talk CDS and the Safety EP, I have every single they've ever put out. (24 by my latest count)

A Rush of Blood to the Head (UK)
Blue Room
Brothers and Sisters
Clocks
(3-Disc Dutch Live EP Set)
Clocks
(Australia)
Don't Panic
(UK)
Don't Panic
(Denmark)
Don't Panic
(France)
Don't Panic
(Netherlands)
Fix You
God Put A Smile Upon Your Face
In My Place
Mince Spies
Parachutes
Shiver
Sparks
Speed of Sound
The Scientist
Trouble
Trouble
(Norwegian Live EP)
X&Y
Yellow

There are some other versions I don't have (Japanese Parachutes) but I stop getting any other versions if they don't have new material on them. If I'm missing any official release, certainly bring it to my attention...!

Edited to add: Looks like there's going to be 4 different Talk singles. The Japanese pressing of X&Y also has an exclusive track. Also: I forgot their live album - I haven't had the time to convert the DVD Audio to CD etc.

Last edited by The Bus; 01-05-06 at 04:17 PM.