Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Jurassic Park Adventure Pack'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-05, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Don Houston's DVD review of Jurassic Park Adventure Pack at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=19431 and...I thought it was informative, however, the reviewer stated that the film was shot in 1:85:1 when it was originally filmed in open matte (watch the 2 back to back and you can see they cut off the tops of people's heads and chins). Unfortunately, most of the world still uses a 4:3 tv and we are stuck with widescreen versions of movies that were originally filmed in open matte. I wish more DVD companies would release both versions (the movie would have to be open matte first before they overlay the 1:85:1 bars anyway). Would that be such a crime? In closing, the reviewer did cover this re-release of Jurrasic Park very well except for the framing of the film. Thank you. Mike M.
Old 12-27-05, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by mcc7425
however, the reviewer stated that the film was shot in 1:85:1 when it was originally filmed in open matte
"Open matte" refers to the stripping away of the mattes after the fact. The term you're looking for is "full aperature".

I'm more interested in having a DVD represent the intended theatrical framing versus trying to fill every scanline on a TV.
Old 12-27-05, 02:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mcc7425
I read Don Houston's DVD review of Jurassic Park Adventure Pack at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=19431 and...I thought it was informative, however, the reviewer stated that the film was shot in 1:85:1 when it was originally filmed in open matte (watch the 2 back to back and you can see they cut off the tops of people's heads and chins). Unfortunately, most of the world still uses a 4:3 tv and we are stuck with widescreen versions of movies that were originally filmed in open matte. I wish more DVD companies would release both versions (the movie would have to be open matte first before they overlay the 1:85:1 bars anyway). Would that be such a crime? In closing, the reviewer did cover this re-release of Jurrasic Park very well except for the framing of the film. Thank you. Mike M.
You're joking, right? You're arguing FOR full screen?

Uhh...you're in the wrong forum, my friend.
Old 12-27-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Please, please, please read the phrase in my sig and take it to heart. It's not just an empty platitude, it truly defines a way of thinking with regards to home video.
Old 12-27-05, 10:56 PM

So you're saying the presentation in the theater was incorrect?
Old 01-03-06, 10:30 AM
Banned

Looks like we scared him away...