Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

System of a Down "Hypnotize" nov. 25,2005

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 11-14-05, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the track listing
1.“Attack”
2.“Dreaming”
3.“Kill Rock ‘n Roll”
4.“Hypnotize”
5.“Stealing Society”
6.“Tentative”
7.“U-Fig”
8.“Holy Mountains”
9.“Vicinity of Obscenity”
10.“She’s Like Heroin”
11.“Lonely Day”
12.“Soldier Side”

I have gotten an internet leak of the full album. I personally think mezmerize was better, but in no way is this a weak album by any means. There seems to be more harmonizing on this album. Favorite song on this album is Dreaming so far.

Oh and I do know there is another system thread, but that is morely talking about the look of the band and not the new album.
Old 11-14-05, 06:37 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You mean November 22nd.
Old 11-14-05, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I can't wait!

I got to listen to this last night and it is pretty good, gonna pick it up.

Last edited by Lateralus; 11-15-05 at 05:35 AM.
Old 11-15-05, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm certainly looking forward to it, saw them a few months back and they were incredible live. Woohoo! In before the haters start a posting things like "worst band evar."
Old 11-15-05, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I pre-ordered the Hypnotize DualDisc and Lithograph.

Here is the MTV leak:
http://www.mtv.com/music/#/music/the...ze/index.jhtml
Old 11-15-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also, this might piss some people off, but Hypnotize is about 39 minutes and change. Which means the band could have released both albums together on one cd, only problem i think is that each album has a general sound, and also fans and critics had this been released as one 76 min. album complained that at 23 songs the release was bloated and too long.
Old 11-15-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just to post what i posted the other day in the other SOAD thread: I love them. They are one of the few artists left who I will go out and buy their new cd the first week it comes out. Looking forward to Hypnotize.

Pull the tapeworm out of your ass.
Old 11-15-05, 09:34 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I am annoyed that they put out two super short cds rather than releasing it as one since I'm a poor grad student, I just preordered this from amazon using a GC.

I've loved all their albums and am looking forward to giving this one a spin.
Old 11-16-05, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
The reviews I've seen haven't been as good as Mezmerize, but I'm still really looking forward to it.
Old 11-16-05, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll also get this on release day. Should be $10 everywhere.
Old 11-16-05, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I thought TOXICITY was good but a disappointment, however I think these two recent records are top-notch.

HYPNOTIZE is tight as hell.

pick it up if you like SOAD.

Old 11-19-05, 11:51 AM

I received my dualdisc and 11 x 17 cover art lithograph today. The disc packaging can slide into the previous album to make one package.
Old 11-19-05, 12:40 PM

Does the dualdisc have the album in 5.1 or is it just the documentary?
Tim
Old 11-19-05, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tim Travis
Does the dualdisc have the album in 5.1 or is it just the documentary?
Tim
The dualdisc contains:
- entire album in enhanced stereo
- the recording of Mezmerize/Hypnotize (documentary)
- B.Y.O.B. and Question videos

Mezmerize was a better album, but Hypnotize is pretty good too.
Old 11-19-05, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

After listening to it a few times, I prefer Hypnotize by a hair. Both are fantastic, though.
Old 11-20-05, 03:47 AM

I really liked Mesmerize, but Hypnotize IMO blows it away. The lyrics are much better (none of the Tony Danza playing baseball and chastising hipsters and hookers on Santa Monica), the heavy songs are heavier, the softer songs are softer, and Soldier Side is a much better closer than Lost in Hollywood. There is something more raw and energetic in the new album, whereas I felt Memerise was at times too polished in its sound. Hypnotize is in many ways a much truer sequel to Toxicity.

The only downside is that horrible Lonely Day song, possibly the worst song in their last 4 releases. Really, really bad. But it redeems itself with such fantastic stuff like: Kill Rock n' Roll, Tentative, Dreaming, and Stealing Society. Indeed, Tentative probably is the most melodic song they've ever written.
Old 11-20-05, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Tentative is one of my favourites on the new album as well as Dreaming, Vicinity of Obscenity, Hypnotize and Soldier Side.
Old 11-27-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Okay, confession time. I've been a SOAD fan since they dropped their first album in '99. I'm still a fan, but in my eyes, they've dropped off a notch over the years. Their sound has become a bit more refined, which isn't a bad thing. But they've gone from making left of center music to songs almost void of meaning.

There are several tracks on Hypnotize that do carry some water, but for the most part, they've almost gotten too eccentric. The catchy hooks and entrancing harmonies are nice, but they've only become a cover for the lack of substance their average songs these days have.

I've also been disappointed with how Chavo's become almost as prominent as Serj. Both have great voices in their own regard, but with Chavo's distinct vocals being present on every track, Serj has become a bit of a background player in many of their recent tracks. To me, Serj's voice was always one of the trademarks of SOAD and for him to be put into a (perhaps) unintentionally reduced role, the music's suffered a tad. That's not to say I don't enjoy Chavo's vocals, but his pumped up role has taken their music in a different direction.

So yeah, negative comments out of the way, this is a brief, enjoyable listen. As I said, lots of catchy hooks and harmonies, but ultimately, it's an album with a surprisingly short amount of meaning.
Old 11-28-05, 10:28 PM
Retired

Finally got my amazon pre-order (got to love the super slow, super saver shipping).

After 3 listens, I'd have to say I like Mesmerize a bit better as Hypnotize just seems a little mellower, but my opinion may change with more listens.

It's pretty sweet how the cases fit together.
Old 11-29-05, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Al Padrino: actually...it's not Shavo the bassist (I think Shavo is the right spelling...but after my Bob Denver dies thread I started today...I certainly don't trust me!) who sings, but rather it's Daron Malakian (that last name's probably spelled wrong) the guitarist who has stepped up to the mic. While I enjoy his singing (and I also like "Lonely Day"), I do wish that Serj would be the MAIN vocalist.

Over all though, thumbs up to Hypnotize.
Old 11-29-05, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

metacritic scores of both albums:
http://www.metacritic.com/music/arti...down/hypnotize
82 (10 critics) Users Score: 8.5
http://www.metacritic.com/music/arti...down/mezmerize
84 (19 critics) Users Score: 8.2
Old 11-29-05, 02:03 AM

I do miss Serj's vocals, he has those trademark schizo vocals that Daron can't match.

Schizo vocals? I don't know if that makes sense but thats what it sounds like.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the new cd, I hope I can see them again.

I got to see them many years ago in the pit area and it was fucking incredible...I just can't see any show from a seat matching that experience.
Old 11-29-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Picked this up on Saturday and have to say i really like Mesmerize better. Hypnotize is ok though. A few good tracks here and there like the banana terracotta pie song.

The packaging is the best part. That was pretty cool. I always wondered why Mezmerize opened on on the wrong end.
Old 11-29-05, 01:37 PM
Retired

Have to agree that Serj singing less hurts the band some. I like Daron's vocals too, but prefer Serj, and that holds these two back from being as good as their first 2 albums.

But still very good discs.
Old 11-29-05, 03:14 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I really like both Mezmerize and Hypnotize. In my opinion, they're both excellent albums (if you look at them as separate releases, considering that's basically what they are.) I got into them during their Toxicity era, and have been a fan since. I'm not sure which of their CDs is my favourite though.

Also, for those who haven't seen them live yet and consider themselves to be fans: Do so, you won't be disappointed.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.