Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Rosa Parks

Old 10-25-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 560 Likes on 404 Posts
Rosa Parks

I'm still not exactly sure what happened, but I think it's really disappointing that the thread in Other announcing Rosa Parks' death was moved to the politics forum. I think it reflects very poorly on this forum and society that mourning her death, and the associated discussion of her life, is considered a political discussion.
Old 10-25-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm going to look up those Reagan death threads now.
Old 10-25-05, 12:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I moved/merged it because there was already a thread in there about it. As it stands since she was a "political" figure (not in the sense of any elected office but in the sense of someone who became the focal point of a political movement) having the thread in the Politics forum makes sense IMHO. Personally I think it's more of a limitation/non-agreement over exactly what the "Politics" forum is supposed to be.
Old 10-25-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ranger
I'm going to look up those Reagan death threads now.
If you find them, post them... I searched in vain today.
Old 10-25-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LurkerDan
I'm still not exactly sure what happened, but I think it's really disappointing that the thread in Other announcing Rosa Parks' death was moved to the politics forum. I think it reflects very poorly on this forum and society that mourning her death, and the associated discussion of her life, is considered a political discussion.
There were two threads (one mine which I put in politics and another came after that was in Other). I wasn't 100% sure it should be in Politics since it wasn't meant to incite discussion it did rather more of memorial of a political (civil rights) VIP. I assume the one in Other was merged into mine and the reasoning was not to add fuel to the fire.....which Classicman seemed to be taking care of on his own. How some people need to get in the last word and opine everything to death (let alone admit when they've made a mistake or crossed a line) is what bothers me......

Last edited by dick_grayson; 10-25-05 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-25-05, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
If you find them, post them... I searched in vain today.
I couldn't find them either, but my point just was that political comments were made often in those threads (even when the thread was in Other) so it's fair to expect the same for Rosa Parks' death thread(s).
Old 10-25-05, 05:09 PM
X
Administrator

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts
Sometimes the way we handle threads changes over time and maintaining absolute consistency probably isn't the foremost goal moderators are striving for. But we do keep in mind that you can always count on dozens of people to point out when it changes so it isn't done capriciously. How to handle duplicate threads and new ones that may be in the wrong forum is often done with respect to the current existing threads and flow of discussion.
Old 10-26-05, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
THE IDIOT MODERATORS KEEP MOVING MY THREADS!!!

oh come on.. someone had to say it!
Old 10-27-05, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Agreed. Absolutely.
Old 10-27-05, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think that just because a thread is in a certain forum means it has to be used for discussion. Politics seems the only place for that. When a tv star dies, the thread goes in tv. When a musican dies, it goes in music. When a political activist dies, it makes perfect sense for a thread to be in politics. Only a few were using it for discussion and had I know it would have taken that direction, I would have posted in Other (or perhaps not at all).
Old 10-28-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There is a possibility that it will truly become physically and emotionally impossible to post in Otter due to the fact that all posts must be sensible and yet any sensible material has been moved to some other Forum for like minded people to discuss them amongst themselves as Otter appears to become represented by apes who have constructed rudimentary tools but are really not ready for prime time players.
Old 10-29-05, 10:42 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 575 Likes on 334 Posts
While I understand your frustration, Preacher, I also understand why a thread about the death of someone so important to the political history of our country was moved to the forum which was designed for discussion of such issues.

Last edited by Bandoman; 10-29-05 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-29-05, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bandoman
While I understand your frustration, Preacher, I also understand why a thread about the death of someone so important to the politica histroy of our country was moved to the forum which was designed for discussion of such issues.
And then people are allowed to blatantly threadcrap in it, and cry "but this is the politics forum, we're supposed to discuss politics here!"
Old 10-29-05, 11:43 AM
Enormous Genitals

And then people are allowed to blatantly threadcrap in it, and cry "but this is the politics forum, we're supposed to discuss politics here!"
I think I know the posts to which you refer, but that's part of participating in a message board. Do you think there wouldn't have been any threadcraps or jokes posted if the thread remained in Other? Also, there's something to be said for the point of view that a thread discussing the death of a nationally-known person doesn't have to be a condolences only thread.
Old 10-29-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Perhaps one could hope that a thread remembering the accomplishments of one person upon their death, may not be the place for personal attacks and prevaricatory or judgemental comments.
Old 10-29-05, 12:28 PM
Enormous Genitals

I essentially agree, Preacher, but you started this thread as a discussion of why it shouldn't have been moved from Other to the Political forum. My point is that the thread would have had a percentage of irrelevant, and potentially obnoxious, posts no matter where it was (and some might argue that the signal to noise ration would have been even lower had it remained in Other).
Old 10-29-05, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Excuse me, but what is a "signal to noise ration."

Thank you.
Old 10-29-05, 02:30 PM
Enormous Genitals

Sorry about the typo - I meant "signal to noise ratio", not "ration."
Old 10-29-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I essentially agree, Preacher, but you started this thread as a discussion of why it shouldn't have been moved from Other to the Political forum. My point is that the thread would have had a percentage of irrelevant, and potentially obnoxious, posts no matter where it was (and some might argue that the signal to noise ration would have been even lower had it remained in Other).
First off, it was me, not Preacher.

And second, your responses here seem to say "people are jerks, deal with it". True, of course, but I think it's fair to question why people are jerks.

I miss funny Bando.
Old 10-29-05, 02:44 PM
Enormous Genitals

Oops - sorry Dan. It's your thread.

I didn't mean to say "people are jerks, deal with it" so much as to say "you're going to see jerks no matter what forum you're in." I too would have preferred that the thread remain a tribute to a brave woman, but it's not up to me or you to dictate the direction of a thread. The discussion takes on a life of its own. Was it "nice" for someone to point out, in that thread, that there was someone else who, in the poster's opinion, made greater contributions to civil rights? No, but at least it was a reasoned opinion and not a rude-for-the-sake-of-being-rude comment.
Old 10-29-05, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oops - sorry Dan. It's your thread.

I didn't mean to say "people are jerks, deal with it" so much as to say "you're going to see jerks no matter what forum you're in." I too would have preferred that the thread remain a tribute to a brave woman, but it's not up to me or you to dictate the direction of a thread. The discussion takes on a life of its own. Was it "nice" for someone to point out, in that thread, that there was someone else who, in the poster's opinion, made greater contributions to civil rights? No, but at least it was a reasoned opinion and not a rude-for-the-sake-of-being-rude comment.
How was it not a threadcrap? Was the topic of the thread "discuss Rosa Parks significance to the civil rights movement compared to other figures"? I don't think the topic of the thread was remotely close to that. The poster in question didn't even say "Rosa was actually not very important", that would have been slightly more on topic, but Rosa was instead attacked in a backhanded manner. It was a blatant threadcrap, pure and simple, one that apparently was ok for some unknown reason. I completely disagree that it was not a rude-for-the-sake-of-being-rude comment, I think that was exactly what it was.
Old 10-30-05, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Speaking of backhanded attacks, rude comments, and threadcraps, what about people harshly criticizing the OP of a pet loss thread? What, that was different?

All the above are allowed though, but I think it's the really inflammatory posts that usually would catch the attention of the moderators then they make a judgment call on it. But it's still my opinion that the poster in question didn't even make any such comments. The only problem I saw were the (over)reactions of some members against the poster.
Old 10-31-05, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

All the above are allowed though, but I think it's the really inflammatory posts that usually would catch the attention of the moderators then they make a judgment call on it. But it's still my opinion that the poster in question didn't even make any such comments. The only problem I saw were the (over)reactions of some members against the poster.
Hmmm, wouldn't their reactions indicate that the post was inflammatory? Or they were overreactions because you decided the post wasn't inflammatory?
Old 10-31-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course I decided the post wasn't inflammatory, but some people overreacted anyway.

My idea of an inflammatory post would have been someone rejoicing her death or cursing her name.

The worst the poster in question did was simply belittle her legacy. Hardly inflammatory.
Old 10-31-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course I decided the post wasn't inflammatory, but some people overreacted anyway.

My idea of an inflammatory post would have been someone rejoicing her death or cursing her name.

The worst the poster in question did was simply belittle her legacy. Hardly inflammatory.
Belittling her legacy was very inflammatory. It was the only thread we were allowed for her passing, since 2 threads were merged. She was a very important woman, one who was (almost, apparently) universally admired. Would someone belittling the legacy of, say, Mother Theresa in the thread where people were expressing their condolences not be inflammatory? I can't fathom how you can acknowledge that the post was belittling her legacy yet not see that as inflammatory.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.