Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Films with alternate music scores

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-30-05, 10:42 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

This is really a two fold question:

a) The first film that comes my mind is

Legend - Jerry Goldsmith score: European release/ Tangerine Dream: US release, are there any others like this?

b) secondly, have there been any film scores that were completed but ultimately not included in the final cut of the film. I might be wrong, but wasn't there an alternate music score for Oliver Stone's Alexander or was it Troy that never saw release.
Old 09-30-05, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
For b), it was Troy that had a nearly fully finished score that was rejected. And if anyone is interested, I have that score.

Didn't Hitch have a score that was replaced with a bunch of songs for the theatrical release?
Old 09-30-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
(The original) Dawn of the Dead
Old 09-30-05, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by FinkPish
For b), it was Troy that had a nearly fully finished score that was rejected. And if anyone is interested, I have that score.
who composed that score? Any idea why it was rejected?

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
(The original) Dawn of the Dead
really?! - I've always liked Goblin's music.
Old 09-30-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 09-30-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Wizard of Oz
Old 09-30-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
who composed that score? Any idea why it was rejected?
Gabriel Yared wrote the original score that was dropped because, according to a test audience, and the studio executives too apparently, it sounded too "old-fashioned." Here's an article that reviews the rejected score, if you are interested: http://www.soundtrack.net/features/article/?id=120
Old 09-30-05, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
really?! - I've always liked Goblin's music.
Yeah, there's a lot of stock music that George chose for the first half of the extended cut.
Old 09-30-05, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by FinkPish
Gabriel Yared wrote the original score that was dropped because, according to a test audience, and the studio executives too apparently, it sounded too "old-fashioned." Here's an article that reviews the rejected score, if you are interested: http://www.soundtrack.net/features/article/?id=120
fascinating read - thanks!
Old 09-30-05, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Yeah, there's a lot of stock music that George chose for the first half of the extended cut.

I had also read that for the Dario Argento European cut of the film, he redid the audio mix of the score so that the music was more prominent and a tad bit louder.
Old 09-30-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I believe Mychael Danna had a score that was rejected from Hulk, being replaced by Danny Elfman. I'm not sure how far into scoring he was though.

Also, I found an article that lists a bunch of rejected scores starting in 1944: http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/arti...g_Rejected.asp
Old 09-30-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Wendy Carlos wrote a score for The Shining that was rejected, except for two pieces, and replaced with some eerie sounding modern compositions instead.

And Carlos just this year released this lost score as a part of two compilation discs:
Rediscovering Lost Scores Vol. 1 and Dediscovering Lost Scores Vol. 2.
Old 09-30-05, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a separate score for Burton's Batman? The soundtrack CD doesn't have the music that's at the end of the movie. I'd like to get that one.

Also remember Days of Thunder? The trailer had a nice piece of music, but can't find it in the soundtrack. Any ideas?

TIA
Old 09-30-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Alien has an alternate film score by Jerry Goldsmith that was thrown out, for the most part, by Ridley Scott when the film was released. However, the original DVD release of the movie has this alternate score as an alternate track. (It's one extra that's missing from the later Alien Quadrilogy release.)
Old 09-30-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

More then likely that Days of Thunder music was just trailer musak from something else, nothing to do with the film. As for missing music in Batman...well, most commercially released scores never include all the music.

As for alternate scores, I can think of a few:

Alan Silvestri put together a score for Mission Impossible, then was replaced by Danny Elfman. Actually, he wrote maybe half an hour of music and after being replaced, I believe used some of those ideas to score Eraser.

Randy Newman wrote a score for Air Force One, which was rejected last minute and a rush job three week score was written by Jerry Goldsmith.

13th Warrior had a score by Graeme Revell back when it was called Eaters of the Dead. After major rewrites and reshoots, Goldsmith was brought on again to rescore the film.
Old 10-02-05, 03:35 PM

The movie Timeline had two different scores.

From the IMDB:

"Jerry Goldsmith had scored and recorded the music for the film in late December 2002. However, Richard Donner decided to do a partial reedit of the film, which forced Goldsmith to come in and fix his score in March 2003. When Donner decided to recut the film once more, he realized that Jerry's score was not what he was looking for, describing it as "beautiful, but not loud enough." Goldsmith was offered the chance to redo his score from scratch, but declined because he was fed up with the movie. Donner then called upon Brian Tyler to do the score for him. Goldsmith's score was released by Varese Sarabande Records in 2004."