Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The One/Only Gameboy Micro & SP2 thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-05, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The One/Only Gameboy Micro & SP2 thread

Now I know the GBM isn't the most popular thing here on these forums, especially judging by its reaction in other threads, but I can't be the only getting one, am I?

So far, the reviews are actually pretty good. IGN's gave it a positive review:
http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/645/645774p1.html

I'm very excited about this. I'm not a fan of consoles (I have a PStwo for the sole purpose of playing GTA), but love portable gaming and have the "big 3" - Pearl Blue SP, PSP, and DS. None of them are that comfortable in my pocket, but the GBM just looks amazing in it's shear portability.

I know many people are going to say that Nintendo is "milking it", but, so what? If you were running a business, would you not want to get maxmium profit out of your products in order to help pay for development of future products? I don't understand why people complain about Nintendo milking the GBA. It is smart business sense.
Old 08-30-05, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
ah, moved to the right forum...

This will probably be the first incarnation of the Gameboy that I don't buy. I've had the original large one, the pocket, the SNES GB player, the GBC, the Advance, the GC GBA player, the GBA SP, and now the DS (which I know is not a GB, or so Nintendo claims). But I won't buy this. I'm perfectly satisfied with the form factor of my SP for GBA-only games. The screen is a nice incentive, but looks similar to my DS screen anyway. That Game and Watch skin is great, though.

Of course, I'm probably not the guy they're marketing it too... they might be going after the people who don't already own a GB but want the sleek packaging of this one. And I don't blame them for milking it... this is not much different than the "slim" PS2. I'm not sure how well this is going to sell, or even how well they expect it to sell (I would think they'd be pushing the DS much more). Proponents argue that this will play better games than most cell phones and is about the same size, to which I say that the people who play games on cell phones probably do so because they have to carry a cell phone anyway, and aren't likely to want to lug around another system. But I'm sure Nintendo's not losing money on the hardware, and I'm sure this makes good financial sense to them. People say the Gamecube is the worst of the three consoles this generation, but the bottom line is, it's profitable.
Old 08-30-05, 07:37 PM

If Nintendo were to release the Play Yan stateside I'd consider picking one up. I like the idea of being able to switch screens when one gets dinged (granted an old GBA screen new from Nintendo is 3 bucks), but my DS, SP and PSP all have scratches I wish I could erase.
Old 08-30-05, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I still think there was room for Nintendo to partner with Nokia or whoever and release a GBA capable mobile phone (this might have been a better move for nokia than the ngage which they must have spent buckets of money on).

As it is, the SP seems like a better deal and the size of the SP is fine for me.
Old 08-30-05, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
A lower price point and a US release of the Play Yan could definitely make me consider the Micro. Its a cool looking device, but at $100 I just don't see it at this point for myself.
Old 08-30-05, 11:10 PM
Mod Emeritus

I'd consider buying it for $35 tops.
Old 08-30-05, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

it's definitely very cool, saw a video of a guy playing Super Mario World on it. The screen is slick too. Unfortunately i already have a DS and a GBASP. Even though the GBASP stomps on the current top selling consoles (PS2) in sales week after week, believe it or not there are still people out there that don't own a GBA, those are the people who are going to buy this (because if i didn't have one i'd sure as hell buy this, it looks great). And the GBA was the best console last gen.
Old 09-13-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

IGN has posted shots of the U.S. packaging. Looks nice.

source: IGN.com
Old 09-13-05, 11:03 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/fun.gam...eut/index.html

New Game Boy Micro makes solid debut

Tuesday, September 13, 2005; Posted: 10:34 a.m. EDT (14:34 GMT)

TOKYO, Japan (Reuters) -- Nintendo Co.'s new mobile phone-sized game console, Game Boy Micro, attracted better-than-expected orders on its debut on Tuesday, though less than Game Boy Advance SP had done, retailers said.

Nintendo, known for software titles featuring characters such as Mario, Donkey Kong and Pokemon, launched what it said was the world's smallest console in Japan a week before the U.S. launch with a price tag of 12,000 yen ($110).

Nintendo dominates the portable game industry with a market share of about 94 percent, and aims to strengthen its grip with the Micro as it goes up against Sony Corp.'s PlayStation Portable.

Sony will introduce new white consoles in Japan on Thursday in an effort to boost sales. Previously the consoles were only available in black.

Nintendo, based in the western Japan city of Kyoto, hopes to draw women, casual gamers -- those unwilling or unable to spend hours playing games -- and older players with the new compact and stylish device.

"Despite (the Micro's) functions being the same as the existing models, it is popular," said Hirokazu Hamamura, president of Enterbrain, which publishes leading game magazine Famitsu.

"Consumers lately have tended to buy particular hardware because it is stylish or fashionable," he said, adding the popularity of the Micro reflects that trend.

Local retailers, including Japan's biggest discount home electronics retailer, Yamada Denki Co., said the Micro was enjoying solid orders.

"The orders have been going well," said a Yamada Denki spokesman. "Especially, the Famicon color version is really popular."

The Micro is available in Japan in silver, purple, black and blue, with a fifth "limited edition" design in the color of the once-popular Famicon game console aimed at attracting adults who played with the Famicon as children in the 1980s.

An electronics store clerk in Tokyo said it received advance orders for 70 percent of its Micro stock, mostly for the limited edition.

Orders were brisk but less than when the Game Boy Advance SP made its debut in 2003, the clerk said. The store sold all of the SP consoles through advance orders at the launch.
Shrinking market

Japan's video game hardware and software market has shrunk 30 percent to $4 billion since 2000, according to the Computer Entertainment Supplier's Association.

Nintendo has been trying to draw new and returning players with the Micro and its DS portable game machine, launched late last year, to expand in a Japanese industry expected to face further deterioration due to the country's falling birthrate, which could erode the game sector's customer base.

The company said the Micro has been attracting its target consumers -- young adults aged around 25 to 35. It declined to reveal the total initial shipment volume.

Nintendo aims to sell 4 million units of the Micro worldwide by the end of its business year to next March.

"The company aims to expand the gaming population, and with the Micro it wants to attract adult players, especially those who used to play games but stopped because they got busy or for other reasons," said analyst Yuta Sakurai at Nomura Securities.

"Adults have different budgets (from kids)," he said.

Sakurai said the Micro would compete well with games played on mobile phones, which are increasingly popular in Japan, because it has better quality and is more stylish.

Some analysts have said the price, which is over 2,000 yen more than the Game Boy Advance SP in Japan, is too high, but Sakurai said it was appropriate considering the target customers and its features.

The Micro, whose screen has adjustable brightness levels, will play the same games as the current Game Boy Advance SP. It weighs just 80 grams (2.822 ounces), although it is heavier than Apple Computer Inc.'s new iPod Nano digital music player, which weighs 1.5 ounces.

Nintendo released three Mario games, featuring the popular character from "Super Mario Brothers," on Tuesday, the 20th anniversary of the release of the original "Super Mario" game.

Nintendo plans to release the Micro in Europe on Nov. 4 in silver, pink, green and blue, at a recommended price of 99 euros ($122), while U.S. versions, due on Sept. 19 for $99, will be available in black and silver with three removable faceplates.

The prices are the same as for Game Boy Advance SP in those markets.

Nintendo said in May it expected to sell a total of 10.2 million Game Boy Advance devices worldwide this business year, including Game Boy Micro.

Shares in Nintendo closed up 1.3 percent at 12,440 yen, outperforming a 0.04 percent rise in the Nikkei average.
Old 09-13-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't want one.. but I want to give one a try.
Old 09-13-05, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts
I'd want the black system, but with the camo cover that comes with the silver one. However I don't plan on buying one so it doesn't really matter to me.
Old 09-13-05, 11:21 AM

Has there been any rumblings of the Micro's release prompting a price drop on the SP? I've been wanting to pick up a cheapy handheld for the random times where I'm waiting somewhere with nothing to do, but didn't really want to pay more than say $50 or so for one.
Old 09-13-05, 02:46 PM

Looks like Neo-Geo Pocket.

Last edited by daniel18; 09-13-05 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-13-05, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

iLounge has an article up on the GBM with some cool comparison pics:

source: iLounge
Old 09-13-05, 04:54 PM

Fuckin' Apple. Fuckin' Nintendo. Putting out updated models I have no need for but now want.
Old 09-13-05, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The GBM looks great. Way overpriced, though; I'll definitely grab one once it comes in under $50.
Old 09-21-05, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I don't know how recent this is, but there is now also a backlit GBA SP (as opposed to the rest, which are frontlit).

A couple comparison shots:

Old 09-21-05, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
damn thats bright! I have one pre-ordered at work and while I really want it Im not sure I'd be willing to part with things in order to afford it I really hate trading things in.

Last edited by zero; 09-21-05 at 03:28 AM.
Old 09-21-05, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How much does the backlit SP go for?
Old 09-21-05, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, please give more info on the backlit SP!!
Old 09-21-05, 09:25 AM
Mod Emeritus

How long are they going to squeeze blood from the GBA stone with these different versions.
Old 09-21-05, 09:30 AM
Retired

However long people keep buying them.
Old 09-21-05, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
How long are they going to squeeze blood from the GBA stone with these different versions.
I imagine when Apple can no longer tap the market of trendy fashion + function, is when you see the GBA sales fall off. Over the next couple years this area is going to get flooded with "me too" devices...
Old 09-21-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
If these GBAs keep selling why should Nintendo stop making them and updating them. I'm the first one to say its not worth $100, but the things are selling very well in Japan so more power to them.

I'm really curious about the new backlit SPs. I really don't want to replace my NES one, but I would love a backlit screen.
Old 09-21-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
More info on the backlit GBA please

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.