Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

Whats a good shop to buy eyeglass frames in Boston or DC/NoVA?

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-05, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently living in Northern VA and haven't been able to find a place that sells frames that I like, but haven't really explored everywhere yet. The current ones that I'm wearing I found at Tyson's Corner, but the store closed a couple years ago. I've checked stores in/around Tyson's, Potomac Mills, and some in the Richmond area, found nothing that suited me.

I'm probably going to head up to Boston again for a few days soon (lived there a year ago) and will try and search some spots up there. If anybody knows of a good shop, that would help more instead of me just wandering the Pru or Newbury St looking for something.

Thanks.
Old 07-26-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
What's wrong with buying from an online seller?
Old 07-26-05, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's hard to tell if you really like frames from online pictures. If you are "picky" it won't work.

Try Walmart - Sears - JCPenney

The current fames I have on came from walmart - part of the flex titanium line so my kids can't break them easily. They were half the price of the speciallty eye wear stores (like lens crafters)

These guys have a store in Rockville MD if that is not too far from NoVA for you.

http://www.foreyes.com/
Old 07-26-05, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I assume you are looking for designer frames if you are looking on Newberry Street and Prudential.

Why don't you look at higher end malls in your neck of the woods. I have a pair of Gucci's and Nikon's that I love.
Old 07-27-05, 09:12 AM

I guess I should've mentioned I'm looking for designer frames and 4KRG is right, I'm pretty picky about what frames I want, need to wear them first, so online purchase doesn't work for me.

The only high end mall in the NoVA area I know of is Tyson's Corner. I guess once the days cool down, I should hoof it to DC and check out some shops there.
Old 07-27-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are plenty of eyeglass stores in the DC area. There's HourEyes, ForEyes, PearlVision, LensCrafters. And those are the chains. There are tons of independents too. Just look in the YellowPages and call around. Hell, even Costco and Sams sell some designers. I've seen Nikon, Polo, Givenchy, Perry Ellis, etc.
Old 07-28-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd recommend For Eyes in Boston (330 Newbury Street)
Old 07-28-05, 11:09 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
I don't know about quality designer frames, but for the cost conscious I always recommend For Eyes. They always have a 2 complete pairs for $99 deal going on I think.
Old 07-28-05, 01:16 PM
Cool New Member

I have bought designer frames from FramesDirect.com in Texas. You need the numbers on the earpiece and the nose bridge for the model, color and size you want. I would definitely check out their prices before buying locally. I have saved hundreds of dollars on the frames. Then I have my prescription filled at Costco. Their lab work on the lens is excellent and they only charge $10 extra to bring in your own frames. But check to make sure they are still accepting designer frames at Costco. There was a question about that the last time I was there.
Old 07-31-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I missed the "designer" part, sorry.

Try Voorthuis Opticians Mazza Gallerie - in DC. You will find some overpriced snootiness there
Old 08-16-05, 06:42 PM

I ended up buying some frames from See on Newbury Street. I believe they make their own frames, so they were all new ones I hadn't seen before. They have more female frames than males ones, but I got lucky and found a pair I liked.
Old 08-16-05, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm....See is in Chicago as well. Makes me think they are a chain.