Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

So I saw the trailer for Just Like Heaven last night....

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-05, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"....(v/o)and also starring Naploean Dynatmite's Jon Heder...."--LAME. Lame, primarily, because it appears that Heder is still playing Napolean, similar speech pattern but with normal hair and only two eyes instead of four.

Is it just me, or is a studio basically admitting that they know their film's teh suck, when they have to reference another film to get you in the theater?? "From the director of....", this statement I can understand....but, "staring that one guy/girl from that one movie you really liked, don't be stupid, you know your gonna like it....GIVE US YOUR $8!!!"?!?
Old 08-07-05, 01:23 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know, I saw the preview too and thought it looked like a fairly good film.

And has all the signs of a good one too:
quirky plot, a respectable studio, fun director, Mark Ruffalo, and a dead Reese Witherspoon.

What's not to like?
Old 08-07-05, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Reese Witherspoon actually kinda looks semi-cute in the trailer, and she's usually the kiss of death in movies. This looks like it might be semi-decent, but I was definitely annoyed with the "and Napoleon Dynamite's..." bit. He should probably just play that character in a show for Fox (which will probably get canceled after a season anyway). I just can't see him playing another character.

My biggest problem with this movie? The title. "Just Like Heaven" is a song by The Cure. If you must make it the title of a movie, it can't star Reese Witherspoon. Sorry. I do like Mark Ruffalo though. I guess we'll see. But I really wish they hadn't used that title. I wonder if they got Maroon 5 to cover the song for the soundtrack...

K
Old 08-07-05, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked the premise of this movie better when it was called "All of Me"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086873/
Old 08-07-05, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Pillowhead

or Ghost Dad.
Old 08-07-05, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Pillowhead

Agreed.
This might make for a good sunday afternoon though.
Old 08-07-05, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While the premise has been done before in various forms from drama to comedy.

It does look like pretty good movie from the trailer at least. So I'll check it out most likely,since good romance type movies have'nt been made in quite some time.

As for the Napoleon mention,I wasn't as pissed off as the original poster was. Sure it was slightly annoying since there intent is so obvious. Instead of saying just the guys name and let audiences say "Hey it's that one guy!",they have to spell it out for us. But I won't let that little marketing thing prevent me from giving the film a fair chance.

Also it's not like they haven't done "Staring so in so..from this popular film..." in trailers before.
Old 08-09-05, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ehh, I don't know I bet the movie is going to pretty popular and make tons of bank. But that is not why I will not go see it, I don't like Reese Witherspoon. Although I do give her major props for doing nudity, unlike all these other flavor of the month chicks. Kinda went off on a tangent there oh well.
Old 08-09-05, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by neatMCsammer
or Ghost Dad.
AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HAH AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA AHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-09-05, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Don't know about this one; the Napoleon Dynamite bit really looked contrived IMO. However, I think this might be one of those movies that guys get dragged to by their GFs.
Old 09-18-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Caught the matinee this afternoon. Certainly an enjoyable flick. The conflict keeping the two from hooking up in the end was a bit morbid, in that
Spoiler:
they were gonna yank the comatose Reese Witherspoon character off of life support. But a kiss or a CPR attempt from Ruffalo brings her back from the dead.

Don't know if there is supposed to be some sort of social commentary in there or what. It didn't come off that way but I wonder if anyone else thought so.

Donal Logue was enjoyable in his supporting role.

Jon Heder was just Napoleon all over again. Different look, same voice. Slightly less socially awkward.

Overall a respectable romantic comedy for a lazy Sunday afternoon.
Old 09-19-05, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Heder's acting looked attrocious the two times I saw the trailer in the theater.

Sadly, I might be dragged to this one
Old 09-19-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw this on Friday and enjoyed it.

- Mark Rufalo was really funny and he and Reese had good chemistry on screen. The romance aspect grew kind of heavy, but they managed to balance it out well with some really solid comedy.
- Some of the story line was predictable, but they managed to slip in some good twists as well.
- I don't remember seeing him in the trailers, but I thought Heder did a decent job (nothing Oscar, but not completely a repeat of Napolean). If nothing else, he was cast appropriately.

Overall, if you're going to go see a romantic comedy, this is a pretty decent one to see.