Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Comic Book Thread for August!

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 08-02-05, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of great comic books coming out this month, both monthlies and graphic novels. But I thought I'd start off this thread with a cool little image from a guy named Ross....

Anyone getting this book? Or better yet, anyone getting both covers?
Old 08-02-05, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't wait to check out Justice!

As to which cover, it entirely depends on which one they (DCBS) send me.
Old 08-02-05, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually, for me, it's issue #2 that really drew me in. The cover with the Riddler is amazing. Of course, I've been known to buy many comics for the covers alone. I do that often.
Old 08-02-05, 08:45 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Wow -- I thought Justice wasn't starting until the fall. I'll definitely grab this.
Old 08-02-05, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Preordered Justice from DCBS as well - I'll have to try and find that Riddler cover for #2, I haven't seen it yet.
Old 08-02-05, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-02-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If that's not one wicked cool cover, I don't know what is. I mean, I'm buying it fo shizzle.
Old 08-02-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't been to my comic shop in 3 weeks (soon to be 4). I just dread going anymore. I am thinking about dropping a few more titles from my pull list and only going every other month.
Old 08-02-05, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

dadaluholla, what's so bad about your shop? is it the experience, or something else?
Old 08-02-05, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My shop is fine, and the guy who runs it is great...it's just every time I go and pick up my stuff I think "why am I paying all this money for this crap". And I do like the books I'm reading, I just really am losing that desire for comics that was there over the past years. So I probably will be dropping some more stuff, and just get the books that I can't do without like Punisher, Walking Dead, or Captain America....although with House of M popping it's ugly head into Cap, I hate to even buy that. But then THERE goes my run. And I'm such a completist. FEH!!!

And like Iron Man! I love Iron man as a character, I always have since I was a kid. I've got like near full runs of everything shellhead related... but when the book is only coming out 3 times a year, you start to get a little discouraged.
Old 08-02-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hear ya, dadaluholla. I consider that the ebb and flow of being a collector and comic reader. Sometimes I think it's a waste of time and money. When I get like that, I just pull back a little. Maybe buy the books, but not read them for a few months. Just to back off. And then, out of no where, I'll read a really good story and I'll be drawn back into other comics too.

Sometimes it's discouraging, especially when you read a particular book for so long. It's hard to let go when it's too poorly done.
Old 08-02-05, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I'll start with a request [and a bigger look at the Justice cover ].

I've been waiting for my [occasionally] trusty comic shop owner to get me Wonder Woman 214, but he still hasn't done it. Don't know why.

Can someone help or point me in the right direction?

Old 08-02-05, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you want WW#214 to fill in the gap in your collection or do you just want to read the story?

If you want to fill in the gaps, the only place I can find it among several sites is ebay. It's not going for a cheap price either.

If you just want the story, it's reprinted in the Prelude to Infinite Crisis tbp

CRISIS! The very word has a special meaning for the heroes in the DC Universe. And a new crisis is coming. For some time now, events have been conspiring beyond the knowledge of Earth's heroes. Culled from nearly two dozen comics are the seeds that have been sown for the last few years. Trace the development of cabals and enmities that will result in bloodshed and heartbreak.

Also, three full-length stories from sold-out issues: SUPERMAN SECRET FILES 2004, FLASH #219, and WONDER WOMAN #214. No one dare miss the prelude to the greatest events the DC Universe has ever endured!
Old 08-02-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Yeah, I got that TPB.

Unfortunately, I need it to fill a gap. And, yeah, it's been that long that i've been waiting on him to get it..
Old 08-02-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, what is it going for on the bay? I can't access it here at work.

Are all the Crisis tie in books selling well on ebay?
Old 08-02-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by James W. Powell
Wow, what is it going for on the bay? I can't access it here at work.
A NM auction with about 4 hours to go is up over $17 right now. There's also a Buy It Now for $19.95.
Old 08-02-05, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

$20 for a book that just came out? Amazing. What's so special about it?

Anyone notice in Lying in the Gutter column that Rich claims GOTHAM CENTRAL will be called STREETS OF GOTHAM after issue 40? I hope that doesn't mean we'll have too many changes to the story.
Old 08-02-05, 04:30 PM

I think its a Flash/WW IC tie-in book - its on Wizards "Hype" List.

As for Streets of Gotham, I'm thinking a creative team change - I thought that was rumored before?
Old 08-02-05, 04:33 PM

As for the ebb and flow, I know all too well about that - I'll read a stack of comics about once a month and not really have any desire to any other time. A lot of that stems from the quality of the books going downhill on my pull list (a lot of Bendis titles - which individually, are ok - but read in a row can start to feel similiar, Amaz Spidey, Supreme Power). However, I cut a few titles and starting catching up on my Vertigo books and I think I'll keep collecting Sometimes, you just have to read the right books - Fables, Y, 100 Bullets, back issues of Preacher & Transmet - those are amazing.
Old 08-02-05, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nate Fillion (plays Malcom Reynolds on Firefly/Serenity) tries to buy Serenity #1, but is rebuffed by the asking price...
Old 08-03-05, 03:21 AM

Hey James (and others)

I was catching up on the features I hadn't read on your site and was wondering if there was a plan for some sort of listing of "the best graphic novels you haven't read." (perhaps a party of five question even though those tend to be a bit more business related). To put it simply, with all these crossovers happening I have found the time to read a lot more graphic novels and I've pretty much cleaned out my cbs's recommendations at this point. It might be interesting to hear what some of the folks who have written for your site think are the best lesser known graphic novels (or trades).

Posted in the forum rather than via e-mail in case anyone wants to pipe in with their list.

Put it in this thread because the comics coming out in August are why I am reading more graphic novels.
Old 08-03-05, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mhepburn20
Hey James (and others)

I was catching up on the features I hadn't read on your site and was wondering if there was a plan for some sort of listing of "the best graphic novels you haven't read." (perhaps a party of five question even though those tend to be a bit more business related). To put it simply, with all these crossovers happening I have found the time to read a lot more graphic novels and I've pretty much cleaned out my cbs's recommendations at this point. It might be interesting to hear what some of the folks who have written for your site think are the best lesser known graphic novels (or trades).

Posted in the forum rather than via e-mail in case anyone wants to pipe in with their list.

Put it in this thread because the comics coming out in August are why I am reading more graphic novels.
Hey, thanks for the suggestion. I do have a Party of Five question waiting in the can about the best graphic novels, and we do have a new column starting shortly about classic must read graphic novels (but most of these will most likely be well known for this classic status).

I'll pass the idea around to my crew to see what we can come up with. I definitely like the idea of having a regular column about great books you've never read.
Old 08-03-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts
This may be a stupid question, but way back in the day I used to "subscribe" to a number of comics direct from Marvel/DC. At first it wasn't cool because the copies would come in brown paper FOLDED OVER, but then they started mailing them flat and I seem to remember it was a good deal.

Does no one do this anymore? Is it not even offered? Is it all pull lists and such now?
Old 08-03-05, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by davidh777
This may be a stupid question, but way back in the day I used to "subscribe" to a number of comics direct from Marvel/DC. At first it wasn't cool because the copies would come in brown paper FOLDED OVER, but then they started mailing them flat and I seem to remember it was a good deal.

Does no one do this anymore? Is it not even offered? Is it all pull lists and such now?
We had this discussion a few months ago. They still offer it, but I think few if any of us on this board actually use it. For one thing, to fit it in my mailbox, they'd have to fold it. Even if they didn't, unless they reinforced every issue, I'm sure it would come in much less than mint condition. You're stuck buying the series for the year, even if creators change all of a sudden. If you're not paying attention, you'll probably miss any comics that cross over with the series you collect.

If you don't like going to comic stores, there are a few mailorder companies that have you order a few months in advance, then ship your order to you as it comes in (monthly, weekly, whatever, depending on how much you want to pay for shipping). Discounts are usually in the 35% range or higher. The two most often mentioned here seem to be dcbservice and mailordercomics (the latter of which is what I use).
Old 08-03-05, 05:40 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I started subscribing through Marvel a couple years ago when they had all of their subscriptions for half off. That was an especially good deal considering all their subscription prices were based on a 2.25 comic, but most of their comics are 2.99. They always have a special on their website, but the current deal isn't as good as it used to be.

One annoying thing is you can only subscribe to certain titles. The comics usually aren't in very good condition, but I don't care too much about that. One kind of cool thing is occasionally you'll get a comic early, but most of the time they come late. I don't think DC does subscriptions anymore.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.