Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Do you have a Samsung DLP? Love it or Hate it?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-05, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been torturing myself over buying a Widescreen TV for the last 3 years. I am finally (i think) ready to take the jump and buy a 50' Samsung DLP.

I have been reading all about the new series on AVS and everyone seems to be pretty happy aside from some audio-sync problems.

Anyone around here have a Samsung DLP? How do you like it? Would you buy it again? Should I go with a CRT instead?
Old 06-23-05, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DLP all the way baby. I have the 50 incher and other than the audio sync (which can be mitigated) I love it. http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ng#post5572313
Old 06-23-05, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Both of my brother-in-law's have them and I have seen them and been impressed. I like DLP as I have a DLP projector in my theater.
Old 06-26-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had the 1st gen 50" HLM5065 since 2002, and I love the damn thing. It's on 5-6 hours a day with DVD's, TV and as a computer monitor with not a single problem.
Old 06-27-05, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have the 61" Sammy DLP and I could not be happier! I've had it for almost a year now and it still just causes the mouth to drop open whenver I'm watching movies or HD content! DLP All the Way Baby!
Old 06-28-05, 11:21 AM

I have the HLR 5067. I absolutely love it. The only thing I can complain about is the slight audio sync issue but like it was said before, that can be taken care of.
Old 06-28-05, 11:37 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ill say no. I do a lot of gaming and the audio sync and lag were some issues that were really important to me. I went with Sony RP LCD. There is a lot of support as far as tweaking to get a very respectable black level.
Old 06-28-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I did a quick search and couldn't find anything. What's the audio sync problem and how is it mitigated?
Old 06-28-05, 12:55 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I THINK it has to do with which input you use. Id check with Avsforum.com for full details

Edit to add: Another reason I steered away from DLP this generation is my fear of the 'rainbow' effect. Some people can get headaches from it or it can just be annoying. They could also pop up at any time in different light conditions. I know its getting better but I dont need more headaches lol.

Id test any DLP with some good fast moving black and white footage (Ive heard on some DLPs the opening scene of Van Helsing is completely unwatchable). LCD has its drawbacks as well, though. Too bad right now theres no clear and away BEST choice.

Last edited by Save Ferris; 06-28-05 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-28-05, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've had my 46" DLP (HLN467) for about 1.5yrs and couldn't be happier. I haven't had any issues with it. I play plenty of games on it and no problems at all.
Old 06-28-05, 04:14 PM

I have been reading more about audio-lypsync-lag issues at AVS forum and thus far it is the only reason I have not bought the TV.

As far as I can tell Samsung is setup to deal with 720p/1080i as its primary (native) video source. If you feed it 480p/i there will be issues with the audio not syncing with the video because it takes the TV more time to convert the 480p/i to 720p.

If you feed the video into a receiver that up-converts the video to 720p you shouldn't have a problem.

The lag time on AVS has been reported as litte as .1 seconds upt 2 seconds!

This occurs on non-upconverting DVD players and I assume SD cable/satelite feeds.

With time sensitive video games this can be a HUGE problem. Several people have reported the problem resolved when switching the ps2 feed to 720p.

I think the information I posted above is correct, if anyone would care to correct me or elaboarate that would be great, because I could be wrong.
Old 06-29-05, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have never seen any audio delay on my devices:
HD-Tivo & Samsung HD-931 DVD via DVI
PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube via component

Maybe it's particular models, but I haven't noticed it on the HLN467.
Old 06-29-05, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
I THINK it has to do with which input you use. Id check with Avsforum.com for full details

Edit to add: Another reason I steered away from DLP this generation is my fear of the 'rainbow' effect. Some people can get headaches from it or it can just be annoying. They could also pop up at any time in different light conditions. I know its getting better but I dont need more headaches lol.

Id test any DLP with some good fast moving black and white footage (Ive heard on some DLPs the opening scene of Van Helsing is completely unwatchable). LCD has its drawbacks as well, though. Too bad right now theres no clear and away BEST choice.

WOW. I heard about the "Rainbow" effect but have never experienced it on my set. Additionally, I've watched Van Helsing on my set at least five times and saw no problems whatsoever. Since I got my set, I have had nothing but the best of experiences. The lone drawback I have seen deals with fleshtones. At times they can look a little cartoony. For instance on Master & Commander, the faces tend to look more pasty than they should but again, that's the only real "issue" I have with DLP. Other than that, my experieince has been outstanding.

Last edited by buckee1; 06-29-05 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-29-05, 09:33 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by buckee1
WOW. I heard about the "Rainbow" effect but have never experienced it on my set. Additionally, I've watched Van Helsing on my set at least five times and saw no problems whatsoever. Since I got my set, I have had nothing but the best of experiences. The lone drawback I have seen deals with fleshtones. At times they can look a little cartoony. For instance on Master & Commander, the faces tend to look more pasty than they should but again, that's the only real "issue" I have with DLP. Other than that, my experieince has been outstanding.
I didnt see it on every DLP I looked at but it bothered me that it could appear in any mix of conditions. I didnt want to come accross this annoyance when using in a different movie or resolution or input or with my room darker or lighter. It was a kind of risk. I was worried about getting headaches also--I tend to get migraines. LCD has drawbacks but they are a constant and can be dealt with.

Last edited by Save Ferris; 06-29-05 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-29-05, 11:48 AM

The pasty faces that your were seeing are often called "clay faces".
Old 07-02-05, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i actually went in on a powerbuy (avsforum through tvauthority) for one of these sets a couple years ago before cancelling my order just before it shipped. i still think they are great sets...but at about that time i wandered into the front projection forums over there (avsforum) and became quite intrigued. after all, these guys were telling me that i was crazy to spend thousands of dollars on such a small (50") television...when i could have my own movie theater sized screen for the same price. after waiting over a year more to move into my new place i finally pulled the trigger on a front projector...and i'm glad i waited. now i have 112" and i couldn't imagine going with anything less. sorry to ramble on...my answer would be "love the samsung DLP" but not for my main viewing. 50" is still a tv and lacks the cinematic feel.
Old 07-03-05, 02:18 PM

Ok so yesterday my local Best Buy had a 61" Samsung DLP display unit marked at $2999.

I had the 15% off open-box TVs coupon from Best Buy dot com.

It was either buy the TV or pay off my Best Buy card.

I decided to be a good boy and pay off the card. When I mentioned this on another forum, someone mentioned that Sony had a DLP in the works that would ship at more affordable prices. Anyone news on that?
Old 07-04-05, 11:35 PM

Thanks for the advice and help. I finally pulled the trigger and bought an Infocus X1a. If you have any advive about front projection you can help me out over here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...51#post6198251
Old 07-06-05, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
Can the Samsungs automatically adjust between 4x3 (with black bars on the side) and 16x9 on DVDs, without having to manually change the settings? Since some DVDs have mixed content, I want one that can switch automatically- having to do it manually would drive me nuts.
Old 07-07-05, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know of any TV that auto-adjusts between 4x3 and 16x9. Are there TVs that do that?
Old 07-07-05, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by BigDave
I don't know of any TV that auto-adjusts between 4x3 and 16x9. Are there TVs that do that?
I am not sure about other TV's, but in my epereince with the Samsungs at circuit city, it does not automatically switch back and forth.

The more I think about it, I agree with Dave and think it would be difficult to find a TV that automatically switches back and forth between the two.
Old 07-07-05, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The source switches, not the TV. At least, my HD box does, if it is going from SD to HD. But that doesn't apply to DVD.

Going from anamorphic DVD portions to NA portions is annoying and I haven't seen anything automatic, either. Jumping between the various resolutions and ARs of TV/commercials is REALLY annoying.

Last edited by Spiky; 07-07-05 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-07-05, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
The source switches, not the TV. At least, my HD box does, if it is going from SD to HD. But that doesn't apply to DVD.

Going from anamorphic DVD portions to NA portions is annoying and I haven't seen anything automatic, either. Jumping between the various resolutions and ARs of TV/commercials is REALLY annoying.

I have an older Malata N996 All region DVD player that automatically changes the aspect ratio on the display. It knows whether it's 16x9 anamorphic or 4x3 and displays it accordingly on my 16x9 TV. I don't have to mess with my tv's aspect ratio button. I've been meaning to replace it but can't find another player that does this.
Old 07-12-05, 03:41 PM

I have a 61in Sammy HLP6163w DLP set. Love it.

I have it connected to Dish network HD receiver (may switch to Direct TV soon) via DVI/optical....Momitsu V880DX Upconverting DVD player connected with DVI>HDMI cable and digital coax. I also have a modded xbox connected with component cables and optical. My receiver is a Harmon Kardon AVR430.