Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Help! My Troy DVD freezes

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-28-05, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did a search and couldn't find anything. Anyway, at about 1:32, Troy freezes up, and my player says "This disc cannot be played. Check the disc again." Anyone else have this problem? It froze on an old Samsung (bought around 2000), and it worked on a new Panasonic. Does this mean that the problem is with the player? If I were to use another Troy disc, is it probable if not definite that the same thing will happen? Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-28-05, 06:37 PM
Banned

Sounds like you may have gotten a bad disc. Is this the first time you've played it?

Mine played fine on my Pioneer DV-434, which by most people's standards is a shitty player.

You may try cleaning the disc with alcohol. Even if the surface looks pristine, there may be a slight "film" on it that the laser can't read through. I've had several new discs that lock up and/or pixelate straight out of the case for the first time. A once over with alcohol cleared them up.

Check the recorded surface as well for any irregularities, like watery smear marks or whatnot. If present, there's nothing you can do, but get a replacement disc.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 06-28-05 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-28-05, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Get a replacement. Chances are it will work.
Old 06-28-05, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep that disc, the you'll enjoy the film a lot more.
Old 06-28-05, 11:19 PM

Thanks for the help from the first two posts! Yes, it is the first time I've tried it, so I'll attempt to clean, and then try getting a replacement if that were to fail.
Old 06-28-05, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Atreus
what you mean i enjoyed troy more then any gladator and master and commander and any other historical type of movie
Old 06-29-05, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by maingon
what you mean i enjoyed troy more then any gladator and master and commander and any other historical type of movie
That's fine. Please exuse my previous post since it adds nothing to the topic. But please do not use the term historical when talking about Troy. I have some serious issues with that movie and one of the biggest is that it is based on one of the most important works of the Western World and does not even come close to respecting the origninal. Especially don't compare it to Master and Commander which paid such close attention to historical detail. (except that they changed the nationality of the enemy ship)
Old 06-29-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Atreus
Someone beat me to the punch.

But since you did, here's another fact of absolute historical record that should have been included in Troy to make it far more entertaining.

"If by a slim chance he is injured, Vin Diesel can summon a 500 pound white tiger to lick the blood from his wounds by whistling the bassline of My Sharona."

I really must be stopped. These things just don't get old!
Old 06-29-05, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thought we couldn't threadcrap?
Old 06-29-05, 06:22 PM

jdpatri owns:

Bring It On
Encino Man
Legally Blonde

Atreus owns:

Bubble Boy
Mean Girls
The Truth About Charlie (2002)

I don't feel the need to defend Troy at all, especially in a thread about playback problems, not the movie's merit. You gotta problem with the movie, make up a thread, don't put it in mine.

So anyway, should I just use regular rubbing alcohol on a tissue, in to out? Thanks for any help... and nothing else!
Old 06-29-05, 06:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jigga6286
jdpatri owns:

Bring It On
Encino Man
Legally Blonde

Atreus owns:

Bubble Boy
Mean Girls

I don't feel the need to defend Troy at all, especially in a thread about playback problems, not the movie's merit. You gotta problem with the movie, make up a thread, don't put it in mine.
Way to tell'em!

So anyway, should I just use regular rubbing alcohol on a tissue, in to out? Thanks for any help... and nothing else!
Well, I use a soft wash cloth. You know one that still has plenty of fuzzy to it...not one that's worn out.

I just dampen a small portion of the cloth and then wipe the disc around the whole bit in a circular motion (wax on, wax off). (They say not to do this, but it's alcohol, not Soft-Scrub). Then quickly dry it with a straight out motion from the center, all the way around the disc. The drying part is most important as for the need to not create smears.
Old 06-29-05, 08:23 PM

Sounds good, thanks a bunch.
Old 06-30-05, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jigga6286
jdpatri owns:

Bring It On
Encino Man
Legally Blonde

Atreus owns:

Bubble Boy
Mean Girls

Not fair going after the wife's purchases! I use them to pad my DVD total.... which hasn't even been updated in 6 months. Except Encino Man. That I claim more myself. I enjoy a little wheezing on the ju-uice.

And mine wasn't a total threadcrap. I added some Vin Diesel trivia. And Vin Diesel could have been in Troy. No harm intended. If the disc had skipped over any of Peter O'Toole's scenes I would have been concerned as well.
Old 06-30-05, 02:25 PM

I had the same problem with my Day After Tomorrow dvd. I looked all over for scratches and it was really just some surface scratches that I managed to buff out with tooth paste. It still froze on MY player. So I went and got it buffed out at a CD Wharehouse and it was scratchless. It still froze though on my player. I was POed because it cost $3 to buff it out. But I tried it on a newer player in another room and it worked fine. So it might be a player problem. I guess the lense gets weaker or something as the player ages. I dunno. Oh yeah, Troy's a good film.
Old 06-30-05, 04:23 PM
Cool New Member

Here's a general rule of thumb...if the disc is defective, it will do the exact same thing on every player you try it on. If it freezes on one player, but plays fine in a different player, then it is more then likely a small compatibility issue. Unplug the old Samsung for 15 minutes and try it again. That will give the disc a fresh read and can correct most playback issues.

Hope that helps.

oxonce