Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

MediaMan: Freeware DVD/CD organizer (pretty slick implementation)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-23-05, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

homepage:
http://www.imediaman.com

I read about it on Lifehacker.com and I'm impressed with it so far. It's neat how it uses amazon.com as its database. I'm tempted to dump DVD Profiler for this. Thankfully this supports automatically placing articles at the end of titles, thereby allowing smart alphabetic sorting:

The Long Kiss Goodnight becomes Long Kiss Goodnight, The
Old 06-23-05, 09:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I saw this in the show notes for Attack of the Show (I cannot actually stand to watch the program itself since they converted from The Screen Savers) and it looked pretty good. I have not had a chance to put it to the test yet though.
Old 06-23-05, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Interesting interface. No import capability though.

edit: Pretty limited but has a lot of promise. It won't be displacing my use of Ant Movie Catalog anytime soon though.

Last edited by sracer; 06-23-05 at 10:36 AM. Reason: more experimentation
Old 06-23-05, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks interesting.
Old 06-23-05, 11:08 AM

pretty cool program, but the lack of import is tough. I don't want to manually enter everything again. Search function seems a little odd as well. I don't know what the limit is to titles that show up, but a search for austin only included Goldmember but not the first 2.
Old 06-23-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While it looks nice, it won't be replacing DVDProfiler for me (or evey accompanying it). I tried to go ahead and add the first couple discs in my collection (Bond Girls Are Not Enough, and The World Is Not Enough), and neither came up right away. I may have been doing something wrong, so I don't know. I went ahead and uninstalled because it seemed like too much of a hassle anyways without any way to import from a spreadsheet.
Old 06-23-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks sweet, though the no CSV import is certainly daunting since I have almost 2000 DVD's. The Virtual Shelf is awesome though. I will give it a shot with a few titles and see how it works out. I've never been a huge fan of online collection programs since you are at the whim of the site developer (Guzzlefish, anyone?).

Upon further review, looks like I could even use this to catalog my laserdiscs as well (manually, of course) so this could be very interesting.

Last edited by matome; 06-23-05 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-23-05, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by matome
Looks sweet, though the no CSV import is certainly daunting since I have almost 2000 DVD's.
You're right. For those that have committed time into DVD Profiler, it may be too painful an experience to switch without any easy conversion process. I was going through mediaman's forums and the dev mentioned that the add items wizard has a batch isbn/upc/ean import function. It's basically a textarea where you paste a bunch of UPC codes and it does the lookup. This batch function does work, but it's not usable, due to:

1) When DVD Profiler began, someone decided to strip the 12 digit UPC code of its first and last digit, thereby creating invalid 10 digit UPC codes. This is discussed here:
http://www.intervocative.com/Forums....&topicID=70849

2) MediaMan won't, currently, do partial searches on 10 digit UPC codes to compensate for DVD Profiler's incorrect implementation.

3) Even if MediaMan did compensate for Profiler's irregularity, for some odd reason DVD Profiler won't allow exporting a CSV list of titles with the UPC field. I guess this prevents their users from moving to competitor's products.

I was going to contact the mediaman author about trying to implement point #2 above, but it seems pointless considering point #3.
Old 06-23-05, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by cupon
You're right. For those that have committed time into DVD Profiler, it may be too painful an experience to switch without any easy conversion process. I was going through mediaman's forums and the dev mentioned that the add items wizard has a batch isbn/upc/ean import function. It's basically a textarea where you paste a bunch of UPC codes and it does the lookup. This batch function does work, but it's not usable, due to:

1) When DVD Profiler began, someone decided to strip the 12 digit UPC code of its first and last digit, thereby creating invalid 10 digit UPC codes. This is discussed here:
http://www.intervocative.com/Forums....&topicID=70849

2) MediaMan won't, currently, do partial searches on 10 digit UPC codes to compensate for DVD Profiler's incorrect implementation.

3) Even if MediaMan did compensate for Profiler's irregularity, for some odd reason DVD Profiler won't allow exporting a CSV list of titles with the UPC field. I guess this prevents their users from moving to competitor's products.

I was going to contact the mediaman author about trying to implement point #2 above, but it seems pointless considering point #3.
You can export to XML which then gives you the UPC. You can than take the XML an create a CSV file in Excel.
Old 06-23-05, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks a lot for the link. I've spent the entire day cataloging all 450 of my DVDs, which was difficult with so many horror and cult films from around the globe. As a result, I didn't get around to doing any of the work that I had to do, so I'll be up all night doing that.

I gotta say though, I love the program. All of my DVDs are out of sight, in binders or in baskets in the living room because I don't want my place to look like a video store. Being able to browse through my collection as if I'm looking at all of the titles lined up face out on a shelf is awesome.

Last edited by Nosebleed; 06-23-05 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-24-05, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts
The program creator has responded to some of the concerns voiced here in his forum:

http://www.imediaman.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=649

Basically, CSV or XML importing is now in the works. However, 10-digit UPC code lookup seems unfeasable, largerly because the program uses Amazon's database for UPC lookup, and Amazon doesn't support 10-digit UPC codes.
Old 06-24-05, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some good news.

Another poster on the program's forum and I have figured out that the 10-digit UPC given by DVDProfiler can be narrowed down to only 3 possible 12-digit UPCs, and only one of those UPCs will ever be valid.

The programer is now going to work on a batch UPC loader that will let you enter your 10-digit UPCs from DVDProfiler and will convert and search for the correct 12-digit UPC:

http://www.imediaman.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=649

Now, you will lose all other information from DVDprofiler, but the program will build most of that up again (title, cast, specs, etc) from Amazon's database. Much better than having to retype everything in again.
Old 06-24-05, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Sounds geeky, but I love the virtual shelf. A person could make their own, simply from a reasonably sized image from any shelf maker. Like Sorice for example.
Old 06-24-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts
I've played around with this a bit, but still have some issues. Like searching for games, there's no way to specifiy the system. And I've twice had to restart my computer because I accidentally hit the "scan from webcam" button, and I could not make it stop (since I had no webcam, it just locked up). I tried everything I could think of to end the program, and basically just had to shutdown. Since it uses Amazon as a database, how hard is it to add stuff? Like I"m already discovering differences in some of the book covers I have, and I have a lot of import CD singles that are usually not listed in programs such as these.

The virtual shelf is neat, but not sure if it warrants another organizer.
Old 06-25-05, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Since it uses Amazon as a database, how hard is it to add stuff? Like I"m already discovering differences in some of the book covers I have, and I have a lot of import CD singles that are usually not listed in programs such as these.
Well, the program uses multiple Amazon sites, like Amazon Germany, France, Great Britain, Canada, US, and Japan, so it might be able to find a large section of your imports.

Otherwise, you can click on the category you want to add stuff to on the left, and then right click and select "Add Items - By Dialog," or select it from the toolbar, or hit F7. The entry method seems pretty thorough, you'd have to judge for yourself how easy it is.
Old 06-25-05, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, that sucks. I just made a KILLER Dark Cherry shelf, and it won't work. It's something with the program generating a temp folder everytime it starts.
Old 06-25-05, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ok, I figured it out:

Old 06-25-05, 04:08 PM

Bummer, not available for Mac OS X. Unbelievable. How many dinosaurs can there be that still use Windows anymore?
Old 06-25-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

About a few hundred million. Give or take a few thousand Microsaurus Rex's.
Old 06-25-05, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gcbma
Bummer, not available for Mac OS X. Unbelievable. How many dinosaurs can there be that still use Windows anymore?
Take a look at Delicious Library:
http://lifehacker.com/software/mac-o...log-032324.php
http://delicious-monster.com/

Last edited by cupon; 06-25-05 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-25-05, 05:43 PM

Looks very promising, but what about non-official DVD's like home movies or Laserdisc transfers on DVD-R? How do you catalogue stuff like that? Can you manually enter titles and attach your own cover scans?
Old 06-25-05, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by joliom
Looks very promising, but what about non-official DVD's like home movies or Laserdisc transfers on DVD-R? How do you catalogue stuff like that? Can you manually enter titles and attach your own cover scans?
Yes. You'd use the Add Items: By Dialog to add titles manually. You can import your own images.
Old 06-25-05, 07:16 PM

In that case I'll have to give it a shot as soon as the import function is fully implemented. Keep us briefed as to the status of that please.
Old 06-25-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Still Experimenting

Last edited by 68ShelbyGT500KR; 06-25-05 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-26-05, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I gave this a try, but I could not get it to bring up ANYTHING I searched for. Did anyone else have long search times?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.