Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Aside from anti-"AOTS" is there any love for G4TV's other shows?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Any G4TV love here at DVDTalk?
I'm a G4TV diehard. I watch it all the time!
4.55%
I watch a bit of it now and then as a casual viewer.
63.64%
&%$@ NO!!!! "Long Live Leo!"
22.73%
The only *love* here is between twikoff and Morgan Web!
9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-05, 07:38 PM

Received 773 Likes on 504 Posts

Since I have the summer's off and work on independent project on and off all day, I've been surfing the dial and starting watching a little G4TV every now and again.

I know about the hate that this board has for "Attack of the Show" (the bastard child of the late and great "The Screen Savers" ), but what about the other shows?

X-Play: This is the show that I watch the most of, while their 'sketch comedy' moments suck, I like Adam and Morgan and their reviews of the games and their (semi) equal treatment of all genres. Plus they make me laugh.

Cheat!: I don't play alot of games so if its a game that I know I won't play, I'll watch the show (inspite of the spoilers). The host is a little whacked, but I don't mind.

Cinematech: Nothing but fun footage and clips from different games. Sometimes its good, sometimes its bad.

Filter: This is the show where all of the freaks come out to pay homage to various "Top 10s"... their "Best Kills" episode was fun to watch. This host is weirder than "Cheat!"s host.

... oh, and I watched part of their E3 footage, but that guy from AOTS ruined it for me... you know who I'm talking about.

That's my two cents.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 06-09-05 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-09-05, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The host for Cheat is a total spaz, but his spazziness occasionally amuses me. Plus, it kind of fits the show's overall lameness. I think he just runs with that theme.

I used to watch Icons every now and then when I had digital cable, but I don't anymore, so no G4TV for me. Not a big loss.
Old 06-09-05, 08:00 PM

Received 773 Likes on 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
The host for Cheat is a total spaz, but his spazziness occasionally amuses me.
The host of Cheat! is a chick.

It's Kristin Holt, the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader that was one of the 12 finalists in the first season of American Idol.

I should be shot for researching that...
Old 06-09-05, 08:06 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I rarely watch. Don't care about the non-gaming stuff as I'm not big into computers or tech stuff, and the only gaming stuff that interests me are the review shows (X-play and Judgement Day) and both are cheezy and the hosts annoy the piss out of me. Well, I guess Victor on JD is ok, but Tommy totally ruins it.
Old 06-09-05, 09:22 PM

I have pretty much come to terms with the fact that the channel has taken a huge step back from TechTV. With that being said I have started watching Attack of the Show. It makes it easier to watch if you don't think about it being connected in any way to the old Screen Savers. The host, Kevin, is so sarcastic and always seems like he hates the guests they put on the show. I find his sence of humor pretty funny. I don't even bother watching any of the other shows.
Old 06-09-05, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Icons is a pretty darn good show.

I have no real issue with AOTS as I really don't see it as the bastard child of The Screen Savers. I don't catch every show but I'll watch it if there is nothing else on.

Their G4TV show is also watchable but that female host is a nut job. I tend to believe the male hosts are gamers and into technology. As for their female guests they are either trying to hard to be "hardcore gamers" or they are faking it totally ( ex. the host of Filter ) I don't believe a thing most of the females on that network say.

And what can be said about X-Play? *sigh*

X-Play can be a good show but their skits and weird segments are LAME. I can see those two hosts being gamers but they acts like fucking morons. Give me game reviews, thoughts and comments. I don't need them using cutscenes from games to make videos where they alter the dialog to be cute. Go interview a fucking game maker or designer. They are wasting a 30 minute show with reviews of crappy games and jokes that fall flat. A review for a bad game doesn't need to be as long as the review for a good game IMHO. If they are going to be opinionated then just trim the game bashing down and make it half the length. They have an unhealthy addiction with RTS games for the PC. I swear they do a review for one on almost every show and they always say it's junk. Why bother talking about them so often? X-Play has is a simple concept with potential and yet they still fuck it up. I guess that is why I love the show and yet get so pissed about it too.

The rest of the rubbish on this channel isn't worth my time. They got rid of some great shows with equally great talent. They flooded their network with a ton of bad shows and "stars" all at once and I'm amazed they haven't figured out that people don't want this shit.
Old 06-09-05, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
The host of Cheat! is a chick.
Last year it was a guy. Who knows, maybe it's the same person!

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 06-09-05 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-09-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

AOTS was pretty bad compared to TSS, it IS the bastard child of TSS since it's the exact same show, except extra suckiness (read: no tech content and more lame gamer "lifestyle" questions, i.e. which console should I buy, and interviews with movie actors with performances by boring bands, and now that kevin left it there is zero point in watching it.

the rest of the network is garbage, X-play is still as lame as it was in the beginning, there's no point for this network to exist anymore except to be a vehicle for advertising dollars, G4 killed off everything that was good about it. (note the name change from G4-techtv, it is now called G4TV). But in reality, this is a network about games for people who don't play games.

now excuse me while I go watch video game vixens . *shudder*
Old 06-09-05, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I love Icons by far my favorite show on the network. Xplay is worthwhile for Morgan Webb alone. However, the network getting dropped would be no big loss at all. Most of the "game experts" on the network are complete posers.
Old 06-10-05, 07:55 AM

I enjoyed X-play on ZDTV before the big shake down, but with the inclusion of all their stupid sketch comedy to appeal to 13 year olds I really have a hard time watching the show now.

The remainder of the shows generally suck as well. It's always nice to see games I don't own and won't get to play due to time, but the shows are gwnerally really hard to tolerate for those small moments of interest.

If nothing else, its a network like this that makes me understand why some companies flourish and others don't in the current market. If there are actually viewers out there in the proper numbers to keep this network alive then I surly can understand why many great games get overlooked while trash titles like NARC find a home so easily.
Old 06-10-05, 10:56 AM

i like Judgement Day, Electronic playground, X-play (morgan webb cause thier skits suck), icons, and G4tv
Old 06-10-05, 11:00 AM

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
A few reasons I like to watch G4TV..... Seriously...I watch Icons, G4TV.com and X-Play...but not much else.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 06-10-05 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-10-05, 11:03 AM

I watch a little now and then. X-Play is okay, minus the stupid sketches and stuff. For some weird reason I like Filter because the host is a spaz. Icons can be pretty interesting sometimes. The thing that bugs me about the channel on the whole is the repetitive nature. Of course it's not feasible to have new programming on all the time, but it seems like they show the same episodes over and over for weeks or even months.
Old 06-10-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Icons is the only really decent show on the network as far as I'm concerned. Even this show could stand to be a little deeper by going the full hour.

I also like those odd "Making of the game" specials that they do every now and again. The psychonauts one(which was rolled into a Icons ep), Splinter Cell got one, and X-Men legends.

I also really liked the E3 coverage this year.

And even though the shows aren't really my cup of tea I will watch X-Play and Judgement Day (and Electric Playground) to get some game ideas, footage of games, and snap judgements every now and again. Or if they're reviewing a game I'm interested in.
Old 06-14-05, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Xplay is fun. I'll check out icons..

When TSS went to AOTS I left..

I had fun watching www.systm.org w/ kevin, but we'll see if they can keep up the pace (actually they need to increase it...)
Old 06-14-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts
I've caught a few episodes of Icons that were interesting.

I guess I'm in the minority, because I'm a big X-Play fan. It was painful to watch back when they first added Morgan, but the last few months have shown a marked improvement in the show. I find most of their sketches entertaining, and the celebrity cutouts and "Mongoose!!!" Flash animations make me laugh every time.

One weird thing is that I don't think I've seen them review a PSP game yet. And I Tivo it, so I'm sure I've seen nearly every episode since the system was released. Strange.
Old 06-14-05, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Draven
One weird thing is that I don't think I've seen them review a PSP game yet. And I Tivo it, so I'm sure I've seen nearly every episode since the system was released. Strange.

Part of the problem is there is so many games being released these days. There is literally 6 high profile gaming devices to game with, plus PC games. With advertisments, "skits", and general downtime chat the show only ends up discussing like 3-4 games a show in any real depth.
Old 06-15-05, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
Part of the problem is there is so many games being released these days. There is literally 6 high profile gaming devices to game with, plus PC games. With advertisments, "skits", and general downtime chat the show only ends up discussing like 3-4 games a show in any real depth.
Still, I've seen reviews for every other platform - fairly regularly too, they usually hit the high profile games.