The Fly: SE and The Fly 2: SE -- 9/27

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-10-05, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to the Rumor Mill at The Digital Bits:

Fox will very soon announce a pair of long-awaited DVD releases - The Fly: Special Edition (1986) and The Fly II: Special Edition (1989) - each a 2-disc set expected to street on 9/27 (SRP $25.98 each).

The Fly: Special Edition will feature the film in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen video with both Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 audio. Extras will include audio commentary by director David Cronenberg, the Fear of the Flesh: The Making of The Fly documentary (broken into Fear of the Flesh: Larva, Fear of the Flesh: Pupa and Fear of the Flesh: Metamorphosis featurettes), 4 deleted/alternate scenes (Second Interview, Monkey-Cat, Brundlefly vs. Bag Lady and Butterfly Baby/Alternate ending), test footage videos (Main Title Elements, Telepod Tests, Make-Up Tests, The Exploding Head and Cronenfly), 15 featurette clips available via an optional branching mode while watching the film (including A Radical Departure, The Rise of Marketing, Who Wants to Die?, All You Have to Do is Be Passionate, Cronenberg's Preparation, On Cronenberg's Films, Cronenberg as Gynecologist, Cronenberg as Director, On the Cannes Jury, The Mother of Invention, It Takes Time to Spread the Goop, Glass-Break Test, Scotch & Razor Blades, Genes in the Ether, Winning the Oscar, The Last Collaboration, Haunted by the Fly and The Brundle Museum of Natural History), a number of interactive written texts (including George Langelaan's original short story, Charles Edward Pogue's original screenplay, David Cronenberg's rewrite, the Cinefex article The Fly Papers and the American Cinematographer articles New Buzz on an Old Theme and More About The Fly), a gallery of poster and lobby cart art, a gallery of production photos and concept art, 9 trailers and TV spots, the David Cronenberg Profile featurette, 2 Easter eggs (Halloweener and Vomit Drop) and a look at genre films from the Summer of 1986 (including Big Trouble in Little China and Aliens, as well as The Fly).

The Fly II: Special Edition will also feature the film in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen video with both Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 audio, along with audio commentary by director Chris Walas and film historian/archivist Bob Burns, a deleted scene (Stopping for Food) and an alternate ending (Houseboat Scene), 2 documentaries (including The Fly Papers: The Buzz on Hollywood's Scariest Insect and Transformations: Looking Back at The Fly II), the CWI Video Production Journal featurette, the Composer's Master Class: Christopher Young featurette, the original theatrical EPK featurette, storyboard-to-film comparisons of 3 scenes (with optional commentary by director Chris Walas), a production photo gallery, The Art of The Fly II gallery, a storyboard gallery, 2 trailers for The Fly II and trailers for The Fly (1989), The Fly (1958), Return of the Fly (1958), Alien and The Omen.

It seems like more than a rumor at this point, but since they haven't yet been officially announced, it makes sense for them to be in the Rumor Mill. Anyway, they look great.
Old 06-11-05, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that will be great news...can't believe they are not going to hold these for next years remake...
Old 06-11-05, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The audio commentary by Cronenberg is the proof that he said would show that this special edition was done with his approval. He said last year in an interview I did with him that Fox had been wanting to do a Fly SE for years, but their plans were not up to his standards (such as allowing him or his cinematographer to oversee the transfer) and he refused to participate. When you see his audio commentary on a DVD, he said, that shows he approved of the overall DVD presentation.

I wonder what that means for the new edition of Dead Ringers from Warner, which includes commentary by Jeremy Irons only?
Old 06-11-05, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts
The Fly specs look great. I'll definately pick this up.

Not so sure about The Fly II. At least it has the cuteness that's Daphne Zuniga:

Old 06-11-05, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Brundlefly vs. Bag Lady
This should be good
Old 06-11-05, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Definitely picking up the first film... prob get the second one later on when it drops in price.
Old 06-11-05, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 219 Likes on 144 Posts
OMG! This is absolutely the MUST-HAVE DVD of the year!

This is one of my all-time faves. I've been waiting and waiting for an SE of this movie to come out and now it's finally coming.

Hell, I may just splurge and buy both movies. Does anyone know if the one directed by Cronenberg is any good?
Old 06-11-05, 01:57 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't pick up the current version. So the SE is no brainer.
Old 06-11-05, 12:05 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Awesome news.
Old 06-11-05, 04:31 PM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Great news indeed.
Old 06-11-05, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

BrundleFly in DTS?!?!

GIMME NOW!!!
Old 06-11-05, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Glad I held off on the current release.

Those special features are very impressive!
Old 06-11-05, 05:45 PM
Suspended

Bye bye double feature disc.
Old 06-11-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
Sweet Jebus, that's cool. I could care less about Fly II, one of the worst sequels known to man, but Cronenberg's ranks as one of my all-time favorite horror flicks.
Old 06-11-05, 07:52 PM

Ace! I always put off buying it, so I'm glad me "waiting" accidentally paid off.

Um, I saw the word "remake" in here... why do we need a remake of a remake? Now I feel a little less excited knowing that they'll ads all over this DVD for it. Well, the heavy and great-sounding extras more than make up for it, I spose.
Old 06-11-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
I'm holding out for the 3-Disc SE. The extra disc will contain tutorials on how to properly kill flies in hot or cold weather, and will have 15 hours of Discovery Channel documentaries on the history of flies. In addition, a special easter egg will feature two flies humping each other, and then a few minutes later, a bunch of flies getting in on it, resulting in a fly gangbang.
Old 06-12-05, 12:09 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
I could care less about Fly II, one of the worst sequels known to man,
I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the sequel.
Old 06-12-05, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by scott shelton
I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the sequel.
Me too. I'll be getting both.

-Jason
Old 06-12-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
that will be great news...can't believe they are not going to hold these for next years remake...
Remake? What have I missed?
Old 06-12-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm in for the first one. Maybe the second if it's a really good price. Eric Stoltz does give a great performance in it.
Old 06-12-05, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Squirrel God
Remake? What have I missed?
Not much. A remake was annouced a few years ago with a first-time director attached to it, but so far nothing has come of it yet. Maybe this DVD announcement is the first sign that it's starting to come to life.

Last edited by Joe Molotov; 06-12-05 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-12-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
Not much. A remake was annouced a few years ago with a first-time director attached to it, but so far nothing has come of it yet.
What a bad idea. Cronenberg's version is definitive and it doesn't even look dated!
Old 06-12-05, 05:59 PM

I'm holding out for the remake next year, directed by Penny Marshall
Old 06-12-05, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Penny marshall? I thought it was being done by some Lincoln guy next year? I cant believe this film is getting remade again. Sure the CG prob will be cool but can it be any better or creepier than Cronenberg's? We will see...
Old 06-12-05, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
I was hoping there'd be a SE of The Fly eventually. Can't wait to pick it up.

I'll definitely pass on teh sequel.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.