DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Tarzan flawed audio?

Old 02-05-00, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read the review of Tarzan on Reel.com it says this about the audio:

"On the audio front, the news is not as good. Though the disc is THX certified, a benchmark for home theater quality, complaints have been surfacing about the mastering of the Dolby 5.0 Surround. Reports have claimed that the mix is distorted, with the left front and rear channels being combined, resulting in a "left-heavy" experience. As of this writing, Disney is investigating the problem, but has not issued a recall for the disc."

Has anyone run across this?
Old 02-06-00, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You know, I read the DVDFile review of Tarzan, and their reviewer said the same thing. I guess when they talked to disney, they said that the flaw was not enough to justify a recall, but the error will be corrected in the next pressing(the gold edition, or whatever.) Wierd, especially since the french track doesn't suffer the same issues and the disc is THX certified.

I have yet to watch the film--but I guess other than the audio, the video and stuff is great. I'll rent it, but until there is more on the audio issues, I think I would refrain from buying unless there are kids whining for it. Then buy it as cheap as you can.

------------------
This is what I currently insure...

Destiny is something we've invented because we can't stand the fact that everything that happens is accidental
--Meg Ryan,
Sleepless in Seattle
Old 02-06-00, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I ran the "DVDfile test" on my DVD, and found that my DVD was affected. (I guess most are.)

So I ended up watching the movie in french!

Di$ney dropped the ball on this one. I already had a bad opinion on them, this confirms it. They are most interested in $$$ than anything else.

It was the 1st time I saw the movie. I thought it was pretty good. I was pleasantly surprised. I copied it the VHS so my little niece can see it when I visit her.
Old 02-10-00, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

quote:<HR>Buena Vista : Just a quick update on the situation with Tarzan. The Buena Vista Consumer Hotline (1-800-723-4763) is now taking names and addresses to replace defective Tarzan discs. Though not a true recall (i.e., discs will stay on store shelves until consumers return them), at least Buena Vista is attempting to provide consumers with replacement product. However, I'm not sure what expense is involved for consumers to return a defective disc. But definitely give them a call if you are unable to return your copy to the point of purchase.<HR>

I just gave them a call. They are sending me a form. Indicate that you will like a reimbursement for shipping on the form.