Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Obi-Wan is the most hardened good character

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-16-05, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you think about it in Ep.I he is basically like Anakin Ep.2 except more stable, a lot more (place Ep.I Obi-Wan next to Ep.II Anakin.) His only master and father-figure Qui Gon
Spoiler:
is killed
, then he
Spoiler:
kills Maul
without giving into negativity, is knighted afteward, then immediately becomes master to the apprentice what the whole Jedi Order calls "the one to bring balance to the force."

Fast forward to Episode II he's struggling to keep the powerful Anakin in line, constantly disciplining this unweildy apprentice but all those years of training and friendship are thrown out the window when, at the drop of a hat, Anakin runs into the open arms of the dark side. As said in another thread, Anakin however screwed up he was, was the only friend Obi-Wan had, or closest one. I bet Obi-Wan himself was most likely confonted with joining the dark side at one point or another. Then obviously the big showdown of Ep.III we've all anticipated, the old "join me or die." Fine way to treat your master and longest friend you've ever had.

Episode IV, Kenobi an old man by now, living by himself ... yet still keeping his Jedi devotion and now single-handedly starting Luke on his path, so that's two Jedi's he started up, not too bad for someone being knighted as a commendation while in action and losing his master/father figure at the same time. Very interesting comment in particular that fell perfectly in place, "By the time Episode IV happens old Ben was cynical and hitting the sauce pretty hard. He was more gin than man." That falls right in place showing that he is human but doesn't lash out from his hardship at all, simply keeps to himself, even on the mission of overlooking the sibling. Knowing Obi-Wan has had his time here and still trying his best to help Luke now he does the only thing he can do to help him even better, he leaves his existence, joining the force permanently, trusting in the force meanwhile to take him. So you got to give it to this man, ever since becoming a Jedi Knight and with the despair and continuous and challening hardships facing him from so many sides he especially maintains his endurance, willpower, and strength doing his duty from the beginning to even the after life. It's as he was fated to be a Jedi Knight.
Old 05-16-05, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I would make an arguement that Obi-Wan is the most tragic character in the whole 6 film timeline. At least Anakin made most of his own choices!

TPM
1. Obi-wan senses something wrong in the galaxy right from the beginning, only to be told by Qui-gon to pay attention to what he is doing.
2. Obi-wan has to put up with Jar Jar, no thanks to Qui-Gon Jinn.
3. Obi-wan gets stuck on the queen's ship with dreaded Tanaka for most of the movie.
4. Obi-wan is introduced to Anakin, the person who will make his life a living hell the next 30 years or so .... once again no thanks to Qui-Gon.
5. Qui-gon tells the entire council he is dropping Obi-wan for Anakin. What a great guy!
6. Obi-wan tells Qui-Gon to listen to the council, the boy is dangerous! Qui-Gon pretty much tells him he'll do whatever he wants with the boy and that he is not dangerous, at least not yet.
7. Qui-Gon blows it against Maul, Obi-wan has to take care of the Sith himself.
8. Obi-Wan is stuck teaching Anakin, once again thanks to Qui-gon's death wish.

AOTC

1. Has to listen to Anakin cry and disobey him the entire movie ....
2. Obi-wan is the Jedi who stumbles into the Dart/Kamino/Bounty Hunter journey. Old Jedi in library tells him he's pretty much nuts.
3. Windu and Yoda don't seem to listen to him about Anakin's overall progress and not being ready for his own assignment. Good work guys!
4. Anakin gets R2, Obi-wan gets crappy R4!
5. Obi-wan turns down the Sith offer from Douku.
6. Anakin doesn't listen to him when they go up against Douku 2 on 1.

ROTS --- Only common knowledge I'll add for now.

1. Has to deal with Anakin, because no one listened to him all along.
2. Has to deal with another villian
3. Then told he is not good enough to deal with Sidious.

Next 20 years Obi-wan is stuck on Tatooine, again, now known to the local populas as that "old crazy wizard".

ANH

1. Has to save, look over, and teach the son of his worst enemy after all of the above. He does so without complaining.
2. Listens to Han Solo bad mouth him in most of their scenes.
3. Has to give his own life for the good of the galaxy and to guide Luke.
4. Helps Luke to blow up DS 1.

ESB

1. Has to tell Luke where to go.
2. Has to talk Yoda into training Luke. If Yoda said no I'd assume Ben would be a little mad after everything he had done.
3. Of course Luke doesn't listen to either him or Yoda and leaves for Cloud City.
4. Finds out Yoda has been keeping Leia a secret from him after everything they have gone through.

ROTJ

1. Has to stand next to Anakin again in spirit form, and look happy doing it.

Last edited by DthRdrX; 05-16-05 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-16-05, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 164 Posts
Whoever made that gin comment is a genius...Anyways as much as I have been disappointed in the last two films they've really made me feel more of a connection to Obi Wan. I think when all is said and done and I've had time to reflect on Episode 3 he may be my favorite character from the entire saga.
Old 05-16-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Holy smokes i've forgotten about all of those. Those are great! Obi-Wan has most likely become my most respected character.
Old 05-16-05, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
in TPM he was also an arrogant stuck up snob
jedi are supposed to be all respectful of life and he refers to anakin when they first are getting ready to leave tattooine as "another pathetic life form"
WTF is up with that?
I have a feeling anakin heard that comment and that's why he rebels against obi wan
Old 05-16-05, 10:43 PM

I agree. Obi-Wan is the greatest of all Jedi. The most tested and proven of them all. Not that Anakin character.
Old 05-16-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mikehunt
in TPM he was also an arrogant stuck up snob
jedi are supposed to be all respectful of life and he refers to anakin when they first are getting ready to leave tattooine as "another pathetic life form"
WTF is up with that?
I have a feeling anakin heard that comment and that's why he rebels against obi wan
I don't blame him. That just reminded me, he got put out by Qui-gon for a "kid" in front of the entire council!

In all honesty, his crude behavior in TPM towards other lifeforms is ment to parallel Anakin in AOTC. Both think they are better than other lifeforms. The movies show that Obi-wan managed to mature while Anakin kept thinking about himself.
Old 05-17-05, 12:04 AM

I think HE never got his due in the prequels as Anakin is given more focus, and having Macgregor just slap a beard on still makes them look too close in age.
Old 05-17-05, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
1. Has to stand next to Anakin again in spirit form, and look happy doing it.
Not to mention that all Obi-Wan goes through, he ends up for eternity looking like an old Alec Guinness while Anakin gets to live eternity as a young Hayden Christensen. Maxi big da Force!
Old 05-17-05, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I don't blame him. That just reminded me, he got put out by Qui-gon for a "kid" in front of the entire council!

In all honesty, his crude behavior in TPM towards other lifeforms is ment to parallel Anakin in AOTC. Both think they are better than other lifeforms. The movies show that Obi-wan managed to mature while Anakin kept thinking about himself.
But can he MAKE his own droid? Because Anakin you know CAN make his own droid. When he was just a little boy. And that has made all the difference.
Old 05-18-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by uhftv
But can he MAKE his own droid? Because Anakin you know CAN make his own droid. When he was just a little boy. And that has made all the difference.

Yeah but he made 3PO, and poor Obi-Wan AND R2 had to deal with that whiny primadonna for 50 years.
Old 05-24-05, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have to agree what was said in another thread, every scene Obi-Wan was in was great. From Ep.I to III everything he did was cool.
Old 05-24-05, 06:25 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow I didn't realise how hard OBI1 had it. Oh well, at least he tough enough to go through all this.
Old 05-24-05, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks mostly to the incredible acting performance from McGregor, Obi-Wan has become my favorite character. And he (OWK) is indeed the most hardened. He had it tough man.