DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Ravenous

Old 02-03-00, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw the trailer for this awhile back. How's the disc?
Old 02-03-00, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Though not an anamorphic transfer the video is very crisp. The sound track is beautiful, mostly acoustic instruments. A very weird little film. Black comedy/horror.Good cast and great locations. Mucho blood and gore. I liked it. Original.
Old 02-03-00, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
I was expecting this movie to be better than it was. It starts pretty good, but by the end I was bored by it and just hoping it would end...which it did with a somewhat predictable ending.

The DVD is another matter. The disc contains deleted scenes which "flesh" out the story and numerous commentaries. I'm a big Blur fan and Damon Albarn gives his insight on composing the film's music which I thought was very good. Yhe director's commentary is also pretty interesting.

All in all, worth a rent, but maybe not a purchase. The content is excellent, but the movie is so-so.
Old 02-03-00, 10:09 PM
Banned

This movie is perfect, one of my favorites' of 99. The ending is beautiful, I don't understand how you say its predictable, cause its not. Although, one would hope that it ends the way it does. I dont really care for Robert Carlyle but he was great in this movie, and reminded me of a young Charlie Manson.
Old 02-04-00, 12:20 AM
reliquary

Oh no! I agree with NOFX for a first time. This move was the best surprise of '99. I'm a fool for not already owning this great DVD. I rented it though and it's packed.
Old 02-04-00, 10:01 AM

This movie is god awful, couldn't wait for it to end.

Old 02-04-00, 11:38 AM

The movie is a very violent, sometimes very funny flick. The acting is good and it's good to see character actor Jeffrey Jones get to do something different than usual. The transfer is very good. The director's track is fairly interesting and does give insights into the sub-text of what the filmmakers were going for. For example, the director views Ravenous as sort of a political film. The action scenes are well stages and interesting.

------------------
THE EDEN MYTH: Coming to Hollywood Video Feb. 23, 2000
www.edenmyth.com
Old 02-06-00, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the reviews. Rented it last night and was not disappointed. Robert Carlyle was good as Calhoun/Ives.
Old 02-06-00, 09:26 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Definitely one the better horror flicks of the 90's. The Roberta Bird commentary was dull but the once with the writer and Jeffrey Jones was quite entertaining and informative. I haven't listed to Robert Carlyle's commentary yet. He was superb as Calqhoun (sp?). In fact, I thought the entire cast was much better than one could reasonably expect in a low budget movie.

All in all, one of the most pleasant surprises of 1999 for me.
Old 02-07-00, 03:00 PM
Banned

Her name is Antonia Bird.