Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Does anyone actually buy cds at FYE?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 04-13-05, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

they want $20 for new releases
I saw the price today, laughed for a few minutes, and left.
I knew they were overpriced and due to that haven't bought anything there for a long time, but I figured I'd at least have a look today
Old 04-13-05, 06:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to my local FYE to find some DVD bargains mentioned on this site, but found nothing. I did laugh at all the $15 DVDs they were selling for the "sale price" of $27.99. Sad thing is there were a lot of people in there to buy stuff, when Best Buy's just across the street.
Old 04-13-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Of course they do, or FYE wouldn't selll them anymore. On a related note, I always laugh at people who pay $20-$25 for new DVD releases, but that's for another thread...
Old 04-13-05, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The question should be "Does anyone actually buy anything at FYE?"
Old 04-13-05, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts
I want Camelot Music back! Miss their $6 laserdiscs and $2 CDs!
Old 04-13-05, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One of those mystery questions of life.

Plus the stores smell funny.
Old 04-13-05, 11:28 PM

I buy stuff from their online and B&M stores.........but only with their rebates (w/o cutting the UPC - use the sticker) or sales when better than elsewhere. Sometimes in the first weeks of a release, and when they had the $10 rebates, their prices were/are lowest.

Their website does have different prices (i.e. sales) then in-store and sometimes different rebates.

But I only buy if it is a good deal or can find anywhere else.
Old 04-14-05, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to work there umpteen years ago, back when the prices were reasonable.

I go in about once a week to look at used stuff, but almost never buy new stuff there.

I did buy a couple of TV shows 2 or 3 months ago, but they were actually on sale, $10 off on release day.

If you use the computer in the store to find stuff, you can get used product sent to the store for no extra charge.

Found a couple of cd's for a friend, list price $9.99 each, used $2.99 each, one was still sealed, the other had the plastic missing but the sticker at the top still intact.

It's also annoying that other than "New this week" the used stuff is now mixed with the new. I understand this is probably a better move for them, some people before probably only browsed the used areas (like me) and now some people probably look for used and can't find it, and think, "oh well, they have it new, I guess I'll still buy it"...
Old 04-14-05, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
All the FYEs around me shut down a couple of years ago, so I guess the answer was no.
Old 04-14-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cupon
The question should be "Does anyone actually buy anything at FYE?"
I browse the the one at the local mall. Sometimes I buy something that has a rebate or is on-sale for a good price (not very often). Most of their price are 2.00 above msrp for single titles. They seem to have people willing to pay what they charge all the time but not like it used to be.
Old 04-14-05, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
I never understood how places like this and Suncoast stay in business.
Old 04-14-05, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
FYE SUCKS!!!! Their new rebate fulfillment house, Archway, sucks the big one.

I used to maintain the weekly FYE Rebate Thread but since those deals have gone away and the rebate house changed to Archway, I've given up on that store.

Plus the manager at the Rockefellar Center store, Ishmail, is a dickhead to customers.
Old 04-15-05, 07:37 AM

Very rarely, if nobody else has the cd I am looking for I will pay full price at FYE. It is pretty much the same price as buying it from amazon and I do not have to wait.
Old 04-15-05, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I rarely go to FYE. But I think they make their money on teenagers who are dropped off at the mall and people who only do shopping at the mall that doesn't "shop around" for prices.
Old 04-15-05, 11:42 AM

I recently purchased a PSP off their website, but found it cheaper (no bundle) at a local store. I cancelled my online order, but they still shipped it yesterday. Is anyone familiar with not accepting packages from FYE and then experiencing problems being credited the amount?
Old 04-15-05, 03:29 PM
Banned

Funny FYE story:
One day, I was in FYE looking at the stuff that was ON SALE (anyone who pays their regular prices is insane). I saw the No Doubt box set (2 CDs and 2 DVDs) on sale for $11.99 (keep in mind that this usually goes for at least $40)!!! Some stupid clerk had marked all the boxsets at the sale price because of the similarity to the cover of the Greatest Hits CD, which was what was supposed to be on sale for 11.99 . So, I walk up to the counter, it rings up at $39.99, and the guy adjusts the price to $11.99....sweet deal for me. And those FYE bastards deserved it anyway, what with their rapist prices.
Old 04-15-05, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
Funny FYE story:
One day, I was in FYE looking at the stuff that was ON SALE (anyone who pays their regular prices is insane). I saw the No Doubt box set (2 CDs and 2 DVDs) on sale for $11.99 (keep in mind that this usually goes for at least $40)!!! Some stupid clerk had marked all the boxsets at the sale price because of the similarity to the cover of the Greatest Hits CD, which was what was supposed to be on sale for 11.99 . So, I walk up to the counter, it rings up at $39.99, and the guy adjusts the price to $11.99....sweet deal for me. And those FYE bastards deserved it anyway, what with their rapist prices.
Old 04-15-05, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought the Nellie McKay DualDisc there two weeks ago. I had looked around for it at a bunch of different stores (CC, BB, Borders, B&N) and just happened to pass FYE in the mall, so I stopped in out of curiousity. I was surprised to see they actually had two copies so I bought one on impulse. I figured they deserved the sale since no one else in the area bothered to even stock the thing.
Old 04-16-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The prices at Sam Goody are just as bad; I honestly don't see how stores like this remain open for business. Somebody would have to be an absolute idiot to pay the ridicilous prices some of these retail outlets are charging.
Old 04-16-05, 01:40 PM

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,088 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxflier
I never understood how places like this and Suncoast stay in business.
Simple: parents.

Parents try to get as much shopping done in one location as possible, because to them, it saves time and money. And what better way to accomplish this goal than shop at the mall? When it comes to holiday shopping, they have one huge list in their pocket for the entire family and head to the mall to get it all taken care of. And if there's music/movies/etc. on that list, chances are they're more than happy a Sam Goody or FYE or Suncoast or Record Town is right there across from Claire's Boutique.

And it's not just parents going to the mall. They drop their kids off with $50 and say "bye-bye" for a few hours so they can get some peace for a change. The kids are walking around the mall all Saturday afternoon because their parents want some peace and quiet for a change. Where are they gonna spend that $50 - JC Penny's? So kids are pulled into the trap, too. What parent is going to drop their kids off at Best Buy for four hours? None. Parents dropping kids off at the mall? Plenty.

I know parents are naive regarding CD prices, because when I was in high school, my mother and I had the following scream-fight:

MOM: "You don't save any money! You just spend it all on those stupid CDs!"
ME: "CDs aren't that expensive!"
MOM: "Oh, you must have at least a hundred here, and they're $20 apiece!"
ME: "$20?! What?!"
MOM: "That's how much CDs cost!"
ME: "No, no, no. I don't buy a CD over $12 ever!"
MOM: "Yeah, right, I've never seen a CD under $20 anywhere!"
ME: "...Where do you shop?"

Turns out whenever she had bought me a CD for a holiday/birthday/just for fun, she went to the mall, saw the "sale price" of $19.99 or whatever, saw the "regular price" of $25.99 or whatever, and was livid thinking I was spending that much money on music. That's about the time I started buying things almost exlusively online and was able to give my gift-givers links to the best prices on the products I want. Even when I do an Amazon wishlist, I give them a link to a better price in the comments section.

Parents are naive to the deals. Hell, parents are naive to CDs at Target. That is how FYE / Suncoast / Sam Goody / etc. stay in business. Naivity and "convenience."
Old 04-16-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jpdude
The prices at Sam Goody are just as bad; I honestly don't see how stores like this remain open for business. Somebody would have to be an absolute idiot to pay the ridicilous prices some of these retail outlets are charging.
I know that Sam Goody's prices suck, but weren't we talking about FYE here?
Old 04-16-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
There's an FYE by the stairs at the mall where my gym is, so I pop in there occasionally to have a look. Their prices are indeed laughably inflated, but once in a while I'm able to pick up a deal, like The Shining for $6.99 and The Kids are Alright:SE for $9.99, both new, not used.
Old 04-16-05, 04:24 PM

Never frequent FYE - except for the big anime sale they had several months back
Old 04-16-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
I know that Sam Goody's prices suck, but weren't we talking about FYE here?
d'oh...yes...i was just generalizing about the entire retail industry, using Sam Goody as another example.
Old 04-18-05, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Was thinking about trading in some CDs at the local FYE. Went to the mall and now it's gone.