DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Criterion to release Kurosawa's Ran

Old 04-01-05, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Criterion to release Kurosawa's Ran

From www.criterionco.com

Akira Kurosawa's Kagemusha rides into stores

This week saw the release of Criterion's new DVD edition of Akira Kurosawa's epic Kagemusha, featuring exclusive new video interviews with filmmakers George Lucas and Francis Ford Coppola, audio commentary by Kurosawa scholar Stephen Prince, a 41 minute documentary on the making of the film, and much more. Kurosawa fans can also look forward to Criterion's upcoming edition of Ran, due out in late 2005 in a special edition which includes, among other features, an exclusive interview recently conducted in Tokyo with star Tatsuya Nakadai.
I just hope it's not an April Fool's joke.
Old 04-01-05, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

that would be welcome....passed on the masterworks edition because the transfer was so bad...althought that amazon exclusive box set looked cool.
Old 04-01-05, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The transfer isn't that bad on the Masterworks, Cameron. Next to the Fox Lorber, it's incredible.
But this still is good news. Maybe Criterion can get a hold of Madadayo and Dreams, too?
Old 04-01-05, 06:27 AM
Banned

Maybe Criterion can get a hold of Madadayo and Dreams, too?
Well, WB has the rights for Dreams and they don't license to third parties, so that's a no, but Madadayo still an option, and it certainly need a new DVD transfer.

Last edited by dx23; 04-01-05 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-01-05, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That will make the third copy of Ran in my collection. The Masterworks disc looks good to me but the WB R2 so far looks the absolute best. I'm very glad to hear Criterion is going to do this. Madadayo would also be a treat should they add that to their schedule. I have the current disc and it could use a bit of the ol' spit and polish. I'm really happy with the R2 Dreams so, i'm not sure I'd get that just for the sake of having a Criterion banner across the top of the case.
Old 04-01-05, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by buckee1
That will make the third copy of Ran in my collection.
Ditto, unless this Criterion edition also makes one of my other discs obsolete (by including the extras from the R2 UK or Masterworks, for example). I think this will actually be the first time in the history of my collection that I have 3 separate DVD editions.
Old 04-01-05, 08:33 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I don't mean this to be a threadcrap, but every time I see an announcement for a new Criterion Kurosawa release I can't help but think, "Well, that's one less Ozu, Mizoguchi, or Ichikawa they'll be releasing that month..."

Kurosawa's a fine director, but there are other (and better IMO) directors who are far too under-represented on DVD.
Old 04-01-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by buckee1
That will make the third copy of Ran in my collection. The Masterworks disc looks good to me.
First I had the original release of RAN that was just awful. Then I sold that for the Masterworks Edition, which I think is a marked improvement in all areas. It is great to see Criterion planning on releasing RAN as well. Though premature, I'm curious if they have found new film elements. Additional extras would be certainly welcome as well. Seeing that the Masterworks version was "Criterion like" in price, I will await reviews before buying this version when released.
Old 04-01-05, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I don't mean this to be a threadcrap, but every time I see an announcement for a new Criterion Kurosawa release I can't help but think, "Well, that's one less Ozu, Mizoguchi, or Ichikawa they'll be releasing that month..."

Kurosawa's a fine director, but there are other (and better IMO) directors who are far too under-represented on DVD.
True but don't dog Criterion for putting out discs they know will sell and in turn, help finance the release of more Ozu, Mizoguchi & Ichikawa.
Old 04-01-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan

As a big time Kurosawa fan I must comment. I don't think your logic is the way it really works at Criterion. Criterion more than likely has the rights to nearly every Kurosawa film, as is not the case with Mizoguchi or Ichikawa. I have heard they plan on releasing something like 18 Ozu films though. I just think they release what they have.
Old 04-01-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not sure I want to part with my R2 Warner Brothers "Ran", not because I doubt the Criterion transfer will be an improvement, but more because of the Chris Marker documentary on the second disc (which I love). Of course, this is precisely the sort of documentary that Criterion tends to include on their releases... hmmmm.
Old 04-01-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
Not sure I want to part with my R2 Warner Brothers "Ran", not because I doubt the Criterion transfer will be an improvement, but more because of the Chris Marker documentary on the second disc (which I love). Of course, this is precisely the sort of documentary that Criterion tends to include on their releases... hmmmm.
Very good point. I will wait and see some reviews before I let go of the Studio Canal version. And I mean a review other than DVDBEAVER's-as much as I respect Gary's work he often tends to get head over heals when it comes to (non-biased) reviews.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 04-01-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cameron
that would be welcome....passed on the masterworks edition because the transfer was so bad...althought that amazon exclusive box set looked cool.

really? I just assumed that because it was the "masterworks" edition that it would be top notch. I'm glad I waited on it.
Old 04-01-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Masterworks edition wasn't just bad, it was unwatchable.
One of the worst transfers to come out in the last few years.
They even had the nerve to include a restoration demo.
It looked like the Fox Lorber edition, with the brightness turned up, run through a 16x9 convertor.

I'll by the Criterion version in a heartbeat.
Old 04-01-05, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by tofferman
First I had the original release of RAN that was just awful. Then I sold that for the Masterworks Edition, which I think is a marked improvement in all areas. It is great to see Criterion planning on releasing RAN as well. Though premature, I'm curious if they have found new film elements. Additional extras would be certainly welcome as well. Seeing that the Masterworks version was "Criterion like" in price, I will await reviews before buying this version when released.
Note that the Masterworks Ran disc is available via Columbia House so you can get it really cheap.
Old 04-01-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

god if they can only release a box set of all kurosawa movies they have the right to..
Old 04-01-05, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
passed on the masterworks edition because the transfer was so bad...althought that amazon exclusive box set looked cool.
I have the Amazon box and I'm happy to own it. If it comes to Criterion....nobody needs to twist my arm for a triple-dip. The current transfer may not be king...but it does not take away the enjoyment of watching the film. I mean Christ....just 10 years ago I didn't even own a fucking copy. I'm happy to have what I have until another comes along...simple.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 04-01-05 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-01-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by gutwrencher
I have the Amazon box and I'm happy to own it. If it comes to Criterion....nobody needs to twist my arm for a triple-dip. The current transfer may not be king...but it does not take away the enjoyment of watching the film. I mean Christ....just 10 years ago I didn't even own a fucking copy. I'm happy to have what I have until another comes along...simple.
How dare you introduce perspective into this!
Old 04-01-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have to disagree with you, gutwrencher. Though its defects are overstated by some, it's still a bad transfer, and if I'd paid $100 for that exclusive Amazon box (with the non-anamorphic Kurosawa docu, to boot), I'd have been livid.

Please, folks, if you can't wait for the Criterion, get the R2/PAL Warner Brothers release. It's so much better than Wellspring's.
Old 04-01-05, 03:57 PM

I have to disagree with you, gutwrencher.
I understand Richard...I know it's not great. I bought it when it was first released and at that time...I didn't even have a decent monitor, at least not a proper WS set. I still managed to enjoy the film....but look forward to getting the Criterion if and when it gets here. The upgrading of films to better editions is never ending!!

As for the import....I've been trying to stay away from pal discs of late. I'll wait and see what happens.
Old 04-01-05, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

if I'd paid $100 for that exclusive Amazon box (with the non-anamorphic Kurosawa docu, to boot), I'd have been livid.
Slightly off-topic, but does anyone have a clue why -- 2.5 years after release -- Amazon still has these in stock?

It really doesn't make much sense to me. It was limited to 5000 numbered copies and I know (from the Share The Love I received at the time) that a crapload of DVDTalkers ordered this...

I realize that the sets definitely weren't perfect and that Kurosawa won't be as big a seller as, say, Army of Darkness or some other limited numbered edition... but 5000 copies seemed very small to me at the time. I'm shocked that after all this time they still haven't sold out.
Old 04-01-05, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
After being really disappointed with Wellspring's Masterworks edition (horrible transfer / blocky yellow subs - ugh.), I was this close to getting the R2. But if Criterion is doing it, I'll wait for that - I'm sure it'll be a massive 3-disc set that'll put every other edition to shame.

And as awesome as Criterion's Kagemusha was, I bet it was just a warm up for Ran, which I'm sure that (if they do it) they'll pull out all stops.
Old 04-01-05, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure the box is great...I have had it in my cart no telling how many times....but the transfer just seems so washed out....and those yellow subs are nasty looking.

I just wonder if this will come out the same time that rumored 2-discer for seven samurai appears. I wish they would do some more Kurosawa box sets...make things easier on the wallet
Old 04-01-05, 06:42 PM
Cool New Member

Come on Wendersfan- do you realize that you're actually sounding disappointed in a criterion Ran...? Holy Shnikey....!
Old 04-02-05, 02:36 AM

No Ran

No 'Ran' from Criterion, it seems. The news on Criterion's own site disappeared as April Fool's Day passed us.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.