Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

some info on FOO FIGHTERS upcoming [double] album

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 02-22-05, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts

Foos Draft A Pair Of Jones' For New Album

Foo Fighters have landed guest appearances by Led Zeppelin's John Paul Jones and singer/songwriter Norah Jones for their upcoming double album, which will feature one disc of rock tracks and another of songs recorded in acoustic settings. With basic tracks completed, the band will now focus on overdubs and final vocals, with an eye on releasing the album this summer.

"We've recorded a lot of music for this record," guitarist Chris Shiflett writes on the Foos' message board. "It's over 40 songs or versions of songs. Of course, that'll get narrowed down to about half of that number for the final track list."

Shiflett gushes about the appearance of John Paul Jones, who contributed mellotron, piano and mandolin to several songs. "That guy is like royalty but he was so down to earth and cool, it was incredible," he says. "Of course, we managed to sneak in a few Zeppelin trivia questions and he even riffed 'Kashmir' on the mellotron for a minute."

Norah Jones' appears on a song with "a really cool Elvis Costello vibe to it," according to Shiflett. "Her voice is beautiful and fits the song really nice." Addressing fans who scoffed at the artist collaborating with a loud rock band, Shiflett said, "Trust me, it's really good. You'll see soon enough."

At present, the Foos have three international festivals on their performance slate, beginning July 7 at the Quart Festival in Kristiansand, Norway. As previously reported, frontman Dave Grohl plays drums on Nine Inch Nails' upcoming album, "With Teeth," due May 3 via Interscope.

[BILLBOARD.com]
Old 02-22-05, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read this. This sounds GREAT. However, whatever happened to the reissues?
Old 02-23-05, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't wait!!!!!!!!

I hope this is released on DVD-A like One by One was, that sounds AWESOME in 5.1
Old 02-23-05, 09:07 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Old 02-24-05, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Word.
Old 02-24-05, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

let's hope it was better than their last effort. i wish dave would just play drums again. that's why i got rid of that and listen to the QOTSA album instead.
Old 02-24-05, 04:26 PM

that was a stupid move. last record was great. DUH!!

QOTSA rocks too thought; seen em Monday;; GET WELL JOSH
Old 02-24-05, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i never understood, did dave grohl always drum for queens of the stone age, or just on the one song "no one knows"
Old 02-24-05, 09:10 PM
Retired

Grohl played drums for that whole album in the studio and played a few shows, but didn't do a full tour with them.
Old 02-25-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sounds good. Some of the acoustic stuff they do can be hit or miss. I love the acoustic concerts they do of versions of their harder songs. Let's hope it all rocks!
Old 02-25-05, 12:34 PM

what acoustic stuff is hit or miss?

They have only really did acoustic songs that were already songs in another form. Times Like These was already on the album in the electric version before the acoustic. They have played acoustic mini shows at record stores,and one broadcast online,but again all songs that were already out there, not actual acoustic songs. What other full on acoustic songs,that were never studio versions, Could you be talking about?
Old 03-21-05, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Foo Fighters Defend 'Honor' In June

The Foo Fighters have wrapped work on their fifth studio album, "In Your Honor." Due in June via RCA, the set will feature one disc each of rock and acoustic tracks. As previously reported, guests include Led Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones and singer/songwriter Norah Jones.

Although the name of the first single has yet to be revealed, Billboard.com has learned that its accompanying video will be directed by Liam Lynch, who previously worked with the Foos on the clip for "Times Like These."

"There are subtleties. There are complexities. There are extremities," Grohl writes of "In Your Honor" on the band's official Web site. "There are familiarities. There is orchestration. There is simplicity. There is a pile of blown speakers on the floor. There is full bottle of whiskey covered in drywall dust."

Arriving nearly 10 years after the Foos' self-titled debut, the new set was recorded in the band's new Los Angeles studio and was whittled down from a pool of 40 songs. "It is by far the most ambitious project I have ever had anything to do with in my entire life," Grohl says proudly.

At present, the Foos have three international festivals on their performance slate, beginning July 7 at the Quart Festival in Kristiansand, Norway. As previously reported, frontman Dave Grohl plays drums on Nine Inch Nails' upcoming album, "With Teeth," due May 3 via Interscope.

[BILLBOARD.com]
Old 03-22-05, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

awesome
Old 03-22-05, 03:19 AM

Can't wait to hear this. I can't believe I get a new Nine Inch Nails, Audioslave, Foo Fighters (double album!), Garbage, System of a Down, and Fiona Apple cds this year.
Old 03-23-05, 10:55 AM

This was posted on foofighters.com today

"letter from Dave"

Hey there. Dave here. Sitting in my favorite chair in the control room with a few minutes to spare. Nick is mixing. MT is doing some technical shit that no one else could even begin to understand. BB is probably on the phone in the office, or practicing his pong skills (which have become utterly unstoppable). Sean is whittling wood in the warehouse. Geoff is back at home. Taylor just left after his usual afternoon visit. It's a hot one, today, though it makes no difference here deep in the bowels of 606, where it's always a cool, comfortable 72 degrees. Fortunately, I just had my week in the sun, taking a nice break before we begin the mix. Many beers were spilled (down my throat) beside the pool. Many listens of the new album. Many viewings of NAPOLEON DYNAMITE. Many hours sleep. The past month was a flippin' bear. Noon to 6 am everyday. I have probably single handily depleted the Kona coast of all coffee reserves. But, we did it. It's done.

"In Your Honor" will be the bands fifth album. Almost exactly a decade from the release of the first Foo Fighters record, it will come out in June. It is a double album, as promised. One CD rock, one CD acoustic. It will surprise you. It surprises me. Almost a year in the making, from 5 hours of bedroom demos, to warehouses being built from the ground up, to months of rehearsals, to the construction of an 8,000 square foot classic recording studio, to the recording of 40 songs, to the final track list of 20 songs, it is by far the most ambitious project I have ever had anything to do with in my entire life.

There are subtleties. There are complexities. There are extremities. There are familiarities. There is orchistration. There is simplicity. There is a pile of blown speakers on the floor. There is full bottle of whiskey covered in drywall dust. There is a full bottle of whiskey covered in drywall dust that is about to disappear.

Never before have we ever put so much effort into the making of an album. 1st record- 6 days. 2nd record- 2 months. 3rd record- 3 or 4 months (but mostly just drinking and BBQ) 4th record- 2 and a half weeks. 5th record- writing, rehearsing, recording = 9 months. And now we are the proud parents of a beautiful 2 headed baby. Born with a 606 on her head, just like that creep from the Omen.

I will spare you the track by track bullshit. You can decide for yourselves. There are a few guests. They may seem strange to you. They don't seem strange to me. I just love music. Music can be faceless. It can be nameless. After all, it's the sound that makes your hair stand on end, right? It will.

I will write more soon (I always say that), but just so you know, I have a calendar in front of me that is a year long, fucking packed with tours that will spin us around the globe over and over and over again. It makes me dizzy just looking at it. I can't fucking wait.

See you soon,
Dave
Old 03-23-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I drive by Dave Grohl's house every day on my way home from work. As I pass by, I check to see if he's home and/or recording anything. I haven't seen him in a while either around town, either. I'll probably pick up the new abluum.
Old 03-23-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by foofighters7
what acoustic stuff is hit or miss?

They have only really did acoustic songs that were already songs in another form. Times Like These was already on the album in the electric version before the acoustic. They have played acoustic mini shows at record stores,and one broadcast online,but again all songs that were already out there, not actual acoustic songs. What other full on acoustic songs,that were never studio versions, Could you be talking about?
The acoustic stuff of the electric stuff is great. Amazing, even.

The much of the acoustic b-sides and 4 of those download bonuses from the last CD were not up to par, IMO.

I wasn't talking about any acoustic songs that were never studio versions.
Old 03-23-05, 02:03 PM

the songs that were extras for downloading after you bought the album were just remakes. I thought Darling Nikki was pretty good, it actually got alot of radio play too, the others featured vocals of Taylor and Chris, and I thought they were fair.

B side stuff basically are all just demos that got out. Most of them even are electric that I can think of, but anyways I too dig the acoustic versions of the electric originals. On the Foos dvd, I love the Everlong acoustic. very very good, slowed up.

They narrowed it down from 40 songs for the new album, down to 20, I wish they would have made it like 30 instead, 15 and 15. 10 and 10 just seems to low, although it might not be an even 10, 10 for each album. At any rate Im expecting greatness,and I know it will be. Dave has never let me down. hehe

Should be Freakn great!
Old 04-20-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The new single from IN YOUR HONOR, titled BEST OF YOU hits airwaves today and should be on itunes for download on April 26... I am dying to hear this!

MATT
Old 04-20-05, 10:49 AM

I was up bright and early to hear it and I must say its very tasty.

Great song!

cant wait for the rest.
Old 05-03-05, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anybody heard the new song thats just started to play on radio called "best of you" yet? I personally really like the song so far, so hopeing for the best this year. (also get to see them a full month before the album comes out at hfstival.
Old 05-04-05, 01:15 PM

check my post above yours for "anybody heard the new song" question.

Its great, and they did a secret show in LA a few days back, and from what I hear they played about 5 new songs, all harder than Best Of You, and they played BOY, and the peeps who seen it say they make it rock harder live, with an awesome ending.

I cant wait for the album. Im going to see every show thats even remotely close to me.
Best band playing today.

Its freakin tasty stuff man!
Old 05-11-05, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

update [w/ Tracklisting]

Foos Rock Hard, Sing Softly On New Album

The Foo Fighters present two distinct sides of their musical personalities on "In Your Honor," which offers one disc each of electric and acoustic songs. The 20-track project is due June 14 via RCA; first single "Best of You" is No. 5 on Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks chart in just three weeks.

"Can you hear me? / Hear me screaming?," asks frontman Dave Grohl at the outset of the rock disc's first tune, "In Your Honor," during which Rush-style guitar work eventually gives way to the speed-metal riffage of Grohl's Probot side project.

The disc is highlighted by "Free Me," the riff of which sounds like a metal-leaning version of "Theme From Peter Gunn." It's one of the few tracks that recall the intense, harder-rocking material that dominated the 1995 self-titled Foo Fighters debut.

Grohl's lyrics seem obsessed with moving on from unknown problems; "there's no way back from here / but I don't care," he says during "No Way Back," while in "The Last Song," he promises, "this is the last song I will dedicate to you / made my peace and now I'm through."

Although an oft-circulated acoustic version of the 1997 hit "Everlong" proved the Foos were capable of toning down the volume, the softer second disc of "In Your Honor" may still surprise fans on its first few listens. Throughout, the band nods to acoustic-tinged rock forefathers like Pink Floyd, the Eagles and Led Zeppelin, even drafting the latter band's John Paul Jones to play piano on "Miracle" and mandolin on "Another Round."

"What If I Do" imagines the Foos as the house band at a country bar, sending patrons home after a long night with a breezy, rainy day number. A handful of tracks feature little or no drumming, although Grohl reclaims his spot behind the kit for the Replacements homage "Cold Day in the Sun," sung by drummer Taylor Hawkins.

Much has already been made of the Norah Jones collaboration "Virginia Moon," which could easily have made the cut for one of her own albums. With its jazzy tempo and come-hither lyrics ("In the morning when we're through / and tomorrow rescues you / I will say goodnight"), the cut could wind up being the Foo Fighters' very own "The Girl From Ipanema" -- or an affront to devotees of the band's louder music.

Other guests on the acoustic disc include Petra Haden (violin on "Miracle), Queens Of The Stone Age leader Josh Homme (guitar on closer "Razor"), the Wallflowers' Rami Jaffee (keyboards on six tracks) and photographer Danny Clinch (harmonica on "Another Round").

The Foo Fighters' only North American dates at present are three radio station-sponsored festivals (Saturday (May 14) in Baltimore, May 21 in Irvine, Calif., and June 10 in San Francisco). A more extensive tour is on tap for this summer.

Here is the track list for "In Your Honor":

Disc one:
"In Your Honor"
"No Way Back"
"Best of You"
"DOA"
"Hell"
"The Last Song"
"Free Me"
"Resolve"
"The Deepest Blues Are Black"
"End Over End"

Disc two:
"Still"
"What If I Do"
"Miracle"
"Another Round"
"Friend of a Friend"
"Over N' Out"
"On the Mend"
"Virginia Moon"
"Cold Day in the Sun"
"Razor"

[BILLBOARD.com]
Old 05-11-05, 10:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by gerrythedon

The Foo Fighters' only North American dates at present are three radio station-sponsored festivals (Saturday (May 14) in Baltimore, May 21 in Irvine, Calif., and June 10 in San Francisco). A more extensive tour is on tap for this summer.
yeah, I was wondering when and if you were going to note the upcoming US dates, with this weekend's HFS'Tival appearence from the Foo's
Old 05-22-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not usually a huge fan of the Foo Fighters but the g/f is dragging me along to the show in Leeds here in the UK in the summer.

Anyway, have to say i'm very!! impressed by the song/video for 'Best Of You' currently getting heavy rotation on the satellite music channels....makes a change(pleasant one at that!!)..no Jack Black or comedy routine in sight!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.